Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He's really not getting canned is he? RIP 2019 season, what a joke. Truly didn't believe that a team with Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander would take away my desire to watch hockey, but here we are.

Not knowing much about the guys were were bringing in but knowing that teams with a lot of turnover need time to gel. I kinda thought this team would be exactly where thy currently are.

Its really easy for a team to lose confidence, it's really hard for a coach to earn that back once it is gone.

Reactions: hector morrison

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Honest question...

The leafs made a franchise record in points under babcock while this same core was 2 years less experienced and didn't have Tavares.

I'm not so sure the 3rd and 4th lines were better 2 years ago. I'm also not so sure that the D was any better 2 years ago.

Sure, Mcbackup was much better than Sparks/Hutch... but it's not just that.

The team looks lost under Babcocks system... while 2 years ago they thrived from it.

Other than "the players want to get Babcock fired" (which seems unreasonable), what else could it be?

I think it started with the Habs comeback and they have been rattled ever since. Babcock told the team, this is your year and when they lose in epic fashion, they grip their sticks a little tighter, TB kicks their @SS, makes them grip their sticks a little tighter, every loss they start to panic and say, the boss tells us we are a great team but I'm not playing like a player on a great team. It comes down to confidence.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thanks. :D I almost bought one this year but my wife thinks a 4th toy with an engine in my garage is over kill and she is kinda right, I don't have enough time in my week for one of those toys.

Any issues with the Supercharger? The 2015 and 2016's are known for bad bearings in their superchargers. I have my eye on a wide body that will probably be in my garage next summer.
The 2016’s are without many of the bugs in the Jay Leno 2015’s. We almost got the 2017 Demon instead, but it has a nasty uncomfortable ride. The Red Eye wide body is the best yet.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think it started with the Habs comeback and they have been rattled ever since. Babcock told the team, this is your year and when they lose in epic fashion, they grip their sticks a little tighter, TB kicks their @SS, makes them grip their sticks a little tighter, every loss they start to panic and say, the boss tells us we are a great team but I'm not playing like a player on a great team. It comes down to confidence.
Do you think a coaching change can fix that?

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Babcock will follow Lou at that era will come to an end.

Dubas will hire his modern day coach
Hope you are right.
We are in the golden age of Leafs management so Leafs Nation wants to fire Dubas.
It's Babcock that needs to go.
We need an analytics loving coach, and that means discounting fluke stats, like plus/ minus, which is one of the stats Babcocok likes!

Reactions: The Iceman

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Thanks. :D I almost bought one this year but my wife thinks a 4th toy with an engine in my garage is over kill and she is kinda right, I don't have enough time in my week for one of those toys.

Any issues with the Supercharger? The 2015 and 2016's are known for bad bearings in their superchargers. I have my eye on a wide body that will probably be in my garage next summer.
Don't mess around just get a Demon:DD

Reactions: Luckylarry

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Nobody could coach the Toronto Pokecheckers... Thats Dubas blindness to how they get bullied and abused by Boston, Ovechkin and basically any team that decides they want to bodycheck them into submission. I almost feel sorry for babcock who has to coach this softness. I blame Dubas more than Babcock, I think Babcock knows deep down this team way too soft to even be close to being a contender.

Reactions: Legendary

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nobody could coach the Toronto Pokecheckers... Thats Dubas blindness to how they get bullied and abused by Boston, Ovechkin and basically any team that decides they want to bodycheck them into submission. I almost feel sorry for babcock who has to coach this softness. I blame Dubas more than Babcock, I think Babcock knows deep down this team way too soft to even be close to being a contender.

The beginning of the end , kiss of death....

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
:D trust me it's crossed my mind. $100k+ vs $50k (used), it comes down to $$$. I like having a toy for every season, If I bought a Demon I'd have one toy for 5 months of the year.
Oh yeah the one I drove was just over the top as a street driver. Only had the driver's seat. Of course it only costs a dollar more for the seats as an option:D

Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What a cutthroat business.

Babcocks system has proven to work with this core (franchise points record), but this year the players "lost their confidence", so now the guy that came up with the proven system and franchise record gets fired.

Its not fair, and he wouldn't be the first good coach fired to stop the bleed.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bobcock just needs to get Dubas to trade Ceci for Gardiner and Barrie/ Kerfoot and a 6th for Kadri and a 3rd.

Reilly/Barrie
Muzzy/Dermott
Holl/Ceci

Thats what we don’t ever see and that is a coaching Flaw

Mikheyev/Matthews/Nylander

Thats another thing we don’t see and that is also a coaching flaw

The drop pass once twice and three times on every breakout on the powerplay:) what the hell and where the hell did this skill kill playbook ever come from? Best skating team in the league last couple years intentionally drop passes the speed right into complete standstill for our forwards standing at the blue line??? Wtf is that.

This power play is the work of a imbecile! Its like a 1 defense and 4 forwards where ever the hell they want to be???? Wonder why we has shorties against us!!! Useless coach who comes up with or even agreed with this. Blame the entire coaching staff

Rielly/Barrie
Muzzin/ Dermott

Thats the point on powerplays and play the hell out of Tavares/Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Mikheyev Johnsson

Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen

So much not even tried! Fire the hell out of the entire coaching staff. They are rotten stinkin bad. Nothing is good or even mediocre anymore. Its plain bad. We have a .500 points % today and that ranks about 25th in the league. Wow this is a horrible display Dubas has let happen and lets continue!

Reactions: Teeder Keon

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Babcocks system has proven to work with this core (franchise points record), but this year the players "lost their confidence", so now the guy that came up with the proven system and franchise record gets fired.

It's not exactly secret knowledge that most pro sports coaches tend to grow stale at various points in time. And Babcock has a certain approach that can be hard to work with (Zetterberg made some comments years back). I can see that not gelling with the younger core of the Leafs. That these young players just don't respond to the message, don't find the motive to buy in. That's what I believe is the case with the group. There's a disconnect and Babcock lacks the EQ to adjust accordingly to spark these guys. It's his way or the highway.

The Leafs need a coach that not only is more progressive in terms of systematic play and in-game adjustments, but also one that can get between the ears of these young core players for a longer period of time.

Kadri, Gardiner, Hainsey, and Zaitsev were not the reasons that made the Leafs a 100-point team versus an 80-point team.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

So you actually think you are seeing the same system being implemented this season do you? Its not and its gross flow killing, skill killing what ever the hell it is.

This team play is not even recognizable

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Bobcock just needs to get Dubas to trade Ceci for Gardiner and Barrie/ Kerfoot and a 6th for Kadri and a 3rd.

Reilly/Barrie
Muzzy/Dermott
Holl/Ceci

Thats what we don’t ever see and that is a coaching Flaw

Mikheyev/Matthews/Nylander

Thats another thing we don’t see and that is also a coaching flaw

The drop pass once twice and three times on every breakout on the powerplay:) what the hell and where the hell did this skill kill playbook ever come from? Best skating team in the league last couple years intentionally drop passes the speed right into complete standstill for our forwards standing at the blue line??? Wtf is that.

This power play is the work of a imbecile! Its like a 1 defense and 4 forwards where ever the hell they want to be???? Wonder why we has shorties against us!!! Useless coach who comes up with or even agreed with this. Blame the entire coaching staff

Rielly/Barrie
Muzzin/ Dermott

Thats the point on powerplays and play the hell out of Tavares/Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Mikheyev Johnsson

Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen

So much not even tried! Fire the hell out of the entire coaching staff. They are rotten stinkin bad. Nothing is good or even mediocre anymore. Its plain bad. We have a .500 points % today and that ranks about 25th in the league. Wow this is a horrible display Dubas has let happen and lets continue!

Would love to see Mikheyev get some top 6 minutes and PP time. I think he has more to give...seems to be a decent forechecker and has speed to burn.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So you actually think you are seeing the same system being implemented this season do you? Its not and its gross flow killing, skill killing what ever the hell it is.

This team play is not even recognizable
I'm not sure if it's Babcock changed his system, or if the leaf players refuse to even follow it any longer.

Why would Babcock change his system that only 2 years ago created the franchise points record?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
It better not be Hakstol. I've seen enough Flyers game to know he is even worse than Babcock.
I remember Hakstol working with the Swedish national team and Rikard Grönborg earlier this year to "exchange new ideas." Perhaps Hakstol and Grönborg are the intended continuation of this Maple Leafs nightmare...

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Honest question...

The leafs made a franchise record in points under babcock while this same core was 2 years less experienced and didn't have Tavares.

I'm not so sure the 3rd and 4th lines were better 2 years ago. I'm also not so sure that the D was any better 2 years ago.

Sure, Mcbackup was much better than Sparks/Hutch... but it's not just that.

The team looks lost under Babcocks system... while 2 years ago they thrived from it.

Other than "the players want to get Babcock fired" (which seems unreasonable), what else could it be?

I'm thinking it's something as simple as his "system" doesn't really work all that well in the playoffs and the players kind of know it's going to be the same thing again this year. They might not be consciously doing the tanking...but they sure aren't going to go 100% like they would/did when they thought the system or style he was coaching works. I also think an influx of new players might be telling the "core" that this system is flat out stupid and outdated and there are much better systems that work for our skill set. I am just speculating on that...but really what else can it be besides losing faith in what he says? Perhaps it's the new players saying that Babs won't adapt like other coaches do...his comment about Barrie reinventing himself just shows how tone deaf he is to the realistic needs of his players.

I swear I remember reading that a former player said that Babs is literally the opposite of what you think behind closed doors. He doesn't really teach all that much and leaves you to figure out on your own like a gud pro. He said he said hardly anything to him all year...how do you think that will fly with a millennial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad