Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs lack an identity. Their calling card used to be their explosive offence. But 11 teams are averaging more goals than the Leafs, who also have the 21st-ranked power play. They don’t hit. They don’t defend. They don’t make life difficult on their opponents. They are too soft and fold too easily when down in games to be considered Cup contenders.

Pretty much !

TRAIKOS: With Leafs in danger of missing playoffs, Dubas must fire Babcock

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Honest question...

The leafs made a franchise record in points under babcock while this same core was 2 years less experienced and didn't have Tavares.

I'm not so sure the 3rd and 4th lines were better 2 years ago. I'm also not so sure that the D was any better 2 years ago.

Sure, Mcbackup was much better than Sparks/Hutch... but it's not just that.

The team looks lost under Babcocks system... while 2 years ago they thrived from it.

Other than "the players want to get Babcock fired" (which seems unreasonable), what else could it be?

Not only has the team evolved in the last two years but so has the game in general.

Babcock refuses to change or evolve and insists on his way.

I fear Babcock rather lose his way than to win using strategies not his own.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It’s not like this team is devoid of talent and skill and speed. It has Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, guys like Kapanen and Johnsson, Muzzin etc

The team is obviously playing far below its capabilities, 99 times out of 100 when that happens it’s because of the coach and the systems he has in place.

Babcock had Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk for years and years, he took one cup, I say 1 as if it was a disappointment because it was, the Red Wings had more talent than nearly ever team they faced in their days..yet came up short more times than not.

2010 Vancouver? - Horachek could have coached Canada to gold.

2014 Sochi? - Horachek could have coached Canada to gold.

2016 World Cup - Horachek could have coached Canada to gold.

Overrated, overpaid, in over his head. Same goes for Dubas..I honestly think he wears those glasses to make himself look more distinguished and smart.

Leafs won’t win anything with this Stone Age bum behind the bench.
Why did you leave out 06 when Canada had its worst Olympics? I mean, if Horachek could coach that team, then that must mean he's a better coach than Pat Quinn , no? Isn't that the sports math you're trying to use? Because Quinn had one hell of a team and managed to fail miserably, its almost as if you have to be good or something.

You do realize he helped drag the Ducks to a cup finals in his first year in charge right? They hadn't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons when they did. I'm all for criticizing people justly, but down playing his past is quite ridiculous. The fact that he didn't win more cups with Detroit proves just how difficult it is to stay on top. Blaming him for not winning more cups is absurd, he went to the finals in back to back years. The opposing coach doesn't even have a head coaching job in the NHL currently,why? Because its difficult to stay on top.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
what if hakstol is the main problem? leafs are taking much more point shots this year than pervious years and this was the same for flyers when hakstol coached them.

last three years, leafs were always dangerously offensively but this years its all gone...

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
what if hakstol is the main problem? leafs are taking much more point shots this year than pervious years and this was the same for flyers when hakstol coached them.

last three years, leafs were always dangerously offensively but this years its all gone...

I never understood that hire

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
can't wait for this to happen, then what's the narrative when they continue to lose under Keefe?

Worst that could happen is we continue to lose but our star players get more ice time and score more. It's a lose-sort of win situation.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
They fired Carlyle on my 45th birthday.

Leafs play the Oilers on my 50th bday.

Just sayin'....

upload_2019-11-17_19-23-55.jpeg

Reactions: Marshy

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Figured this is thread worthy.

Seems like we are closing in on a coaching change unless things drastically turn around.

Both Friedman and CJ seemed to give the sense that there’s great concern with how the team has been playing overall and how they’ve started periods and games overall.

Really , great concern being stated now? Let's see, it took them a month and a half this year to be concerned. What about the 2nd half of last year? Guess that means they now have to think about it. Maybe they'll do something in a year or two. Those MLSE jokers deserve what they get. Too bad they have to do it at the expense of the fans who, sadly, really care.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Babcock is desperate. He's lost the room.
I totally agree with the point about Ovi’s remarks
It made me sick to hear Babcock spewing that garbage to his team
You don’t do that !!
Could you possibly see Quinn or Burns say that
Frack that
They would have told him to shove it up his ass and worry about his own team
It pissed me off that he didn’t stand up for them even though he was right .
Screw Babcock even if it was just for that alone
And always praising the other teams players
Frack that agsin
Now I’m hating on him

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
You don’t do that !!
Frack that
Frack that agsin
Now I’m hating on him

You and 3 million other people.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Why did you leave out 06 when Canada had its worst Olympics? I mean, if Horachek could coach that team, then that must mean he's a better coach than Pat Quinn , no? Isn't that the sports math you're trying to use? Because Quinn had one hell of a team and managed to fail miserably, its almost as if you have to be good or something.

You do realize he helped drag the Ducks to a cup finals in his first year in charge right? They hadn't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons when they did. I'm all for criticizing people justly, but down playing his past is quite ridiculous. The fact that he didn't win more cups with Detroit proves just how difficult it is to stay on top. Blaming him for not winning more cups is absurd, he went to the finals in back to back years. The opposing coach doesn't even have a head coaching job in the NHL currently,why? Because its difficult to stay on top.

I left out 2006 Torino for obvious reasons, Babcock didn’t coach that team, I thought it was fairly obviousl I was talking about Babcock coached teams. Stop trying to twist the argument.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Funny you say this, I was thinking to myself that (almost) every offensive zone possession makes its way to the point where we get a shot that is either blocked, misses the net or is so weak the other team gets a quick break... there are very few low cycles... which I don't understand. Our most skilled players are our forwards, they should be driving the offence, not the D. We do need to mix in some point play for sure, but it should not be the focus with this roster.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I was never really on the Fire Babcock train but like....not sure what else they can do at this point to light a fire under these guys?

It's crazy how hopeful I was at the start of this season.....probably the most hopeful I've been for a Leafs team since the prime of the Sundin era.

I should've known that would blow up in my face.

This team sometimes, you know? It's like we're suffering from early onset post-cup syndrome without ever coming close to sniffing the finals.

Reactions: definedMF

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You don’t do that !!
Frack that
Frack that agsin
Now I’m hating on him

This is something I didn’t think about.

An opposing player criticized the team before playing us... and our coach says he’s right.

Imagine being a player in that room.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
This is something I didn’t think about.

An opposing player criticized the team before playing us... and our coach says he’s right.

Imagine being a player in that room.
I’ve never ever been witnessed to that as a player and as a coach ever in 4 sports on the player side and or coaching that I’ve been part of and I’ve never seen this behaviour watching and following sports
Like I said , I could just see what Quinn and Burns would have said to him
I’m so pissed again at Babcock
I forgot about that until I was reminded
Fuk u Babcock

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not a Babcock fan but I can't think of someone who would be worth buying out his contract unless Trotz was available. I'm not liking Hakstol either, sorry Dave :)

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Why do people bring up Babcock’s Team Canada accomplishments as some kind of argument for him still being employed by the Leafs?

All Babcock did was copy what several European teams had been doing since the mid-90s. These teams are together for 2 or 3 weeks. The Czechs showed the world your best bet in these glorified shinny tournaments is a trap system, which is easy to implement, backed by elite goaltending. You can give yourself a chance against any opponent regardless of any talent disparity.

Babcock convinced 20 of the best players in the world to make that sacrifice for two weeks. Does anyone really think players of that calibre would be okay playing like that year in and year out in the NHL?

And honestly, Babcock’s teams were the most boring in the history of Canadian men’s hockey, grinding out 2-1 wins over the likes of Latvia.

In the NHL, Babcock has won 1 playoff round in the past decade in 8 attempts. He also grossly underachieved with one of the best teams of the past 20 years.

What he accomplished with Canada is completely irrelevant to the Leafs. What he has repeatedly failed to accomplish in the NHL in the past decade, however, is completely relevant.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’ve never ever been witnessed to that as a player and as a coach ever in 4 sports on the player side and or coaching that I’ve been part of and I’ve never seen this behaviour watching and following sports
Like I said , I could just see what Quinn and Burns would have said to him
I’m so pissed again at Babcock
I forgot about that until I was reminded
Fuk u Babcock

And to clarify. Ovechkin is right.

As a coach, you still need to stand up for the team publicly. You don’t agree with them criticizing the players.

Want to know why he did? Because it takes blame off of him.

When we got Muzzin? Ah, he’s not a righty
When we got a right? Massively misuses him
When we got eliminated? Not enough depth
We add that depth? Ah we gotta try more

Has Babcock ever said “That’s my fault” or “I need to fix this” in his time here? I feel like it’s never on him.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
And to clarify. Ovechkin is right.

As a coach, you still need to stand up for the team publicly. You don’t agree with them criticizing the players.

Want to know why he did? Because it takes blame off of him.

When we got Muzzin? Ah, he’s not a righty
When we got a right? Massively misuses him
When we got eliminated? Not enough depth
We add that depth? Ah we gotta try more

Has Babcock ever said “That’s my fault” or “I need to fix this” in his time here? I feel like it’s never on him.
I agree with Ovi Totally
But everything else is what I meant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad