Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
And to clarify. Ovechkin is right.

As a coach, you still need to stand up for the team publicly. You don’t agree with them criticizing the players.

Want to know why he did? Because it takes blame off of him.

When we got Muzzin? Ah, he’s not a righty
When we got a right? Massively misuses him
When we got eliminated? Not enough depth
We add that depth? Ah we gotta try more

Has Babcock ever said “That’s my fault” or “I need to fix this” in his time here? I feel like it’s never on him.

Another one was last year when we lost and one of the first times I ever seen a sports reporter for once actually have the balls to question Babcock why Matthews was on the bench in the last minute when down a goal. Babcock got all POed and told him maybe he should be the coach and stormed off the post game interview. Like someone dared to question me, the great mighty Babcock! It was sickening.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I left out 2006 Torino for obvious reasons, Babcock didn’t coach that team, I thought it was fairly obviousl I was talking about Babcock coached teams. Stop trying to twist the argument.

But the 2006 team was no worse, so based on your argument, Quinn or even Horachek should have easily coached that team to gold. Actually looking at the past decade, in any men's international tournament (Olympics, world cup, world championships), Canada has only managed to win gold when coached by Babcock or one of the Babcock school coaches (McLellan, Peters). Other coaches have 0% winning record with team Canada going back to 2007 when Andy Murray won gold.

This year Canada didn't actually play quite as ugly as usually when not with Babcock, but they still managed to lose in the finals against Finland, who had its C roster with two (barely) NHL players.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
But the 2006 team was no worse, so based on your argument, Quinn or even Horachek should have easily coached that team to gold. Actually looking at the past decade, in any men's international tournament (Olympics, world cup, world championship), Canada has only managed to win gold when coached by Babcock or one of the Babcock school coaches (McLellan, Peters). Other coaches have 0% winning record with team Canada going back to 2007 when Andy Murray won gold.

This year Canada didn't actually play quite as ugly as usually when not with Babcock, but they still managed to lose in the finals against Finland, who had its C roster with 2 (barely) NHL players.

The one with Bertuzzi and Mcabe and Bouwmeester and Draper and Regehr on it?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Another one was last year when we lost and one of the first times I ever seen a sports reporter for once actually have the balls to question Babcock why Matthews was on the bench in the last minute when down a goal. Babcock got all POed and told him maybe he should be the coach and stormed off the post game interview. Like someone dared to question me, the great mighty Babcock! It was sickening.

Video?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You do realize he helped drag the Ducks to a cup finals in his first year in charge right?

He also managed to piss off Paul Kariya, who was by far their best player (including playing him on the fourth line for the entire playoffs because he didn't like Kariya's defensive play at the time) so badly that Kariya hit free agency immediately and went to Colorado, leading to the Ducks finishing in the basement for the next few years.

And Anaheim needed an insanely lights out performance from JS Giguere that season; so much so, he was playoff MVP despite playing on the LOSING team...

Reactions: qqaz

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
But the 2006 team was no worse, so based on your argument, Quinn or even Horachek should have easily coached that team to gold. Actually looking at the past decade, in any men's international tournament (Olympics, world cup, world championships), Canada has only managed to win gold when coached by Babcock or one of the Babcock school coaches (McLellan, Peters). Other coaches have 0% winning record with team Canada going back to 2007 when Andy Murray won gold.

This year Canada didn't actually play quite as ugly as usually when not with Babcock, but they still managed to lose in the finals against Finland, who had its C roster with two (barely) NHL players.
Wasn't the 2006 team the one where they thought they could punch and goon their way to a gold medal?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I totally agree with the point about Ovi’s remarks
It made me sick to hear Babcock spewing that garbage to his team
You don’t do that !!
Could you possibly see Quinn or Burns say that
Frack that
They would have told him to shove it up his ass and worry about his own team
It pissed me off that he didn’t stand up for them even though he was right .
Screw Babcock even if it was just for that alone

And always praising the other teams players
Frack that agsin
Now I’m hating on him

Yes!

This is something I didn’t think about.

An opposing player criticized the team before playing us... and our coach says he’s right.

Imagine being a player in that room.

And imagine being a player in that room in the spring after the TDL when he said that we need better players.

He has shown more than once that he considers himself above the team instead of being part of the team. He's basically a traitor and my only question is - why does this traitor still have a job here?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He also managed to piss off Paul Kariya, who was by far their best player (including playing him on the fourth line for the entire playoffs because he didn't like Kariya's defensive play at the time) so badly that Kariya hit free agency immediately and went to Colorado, leading to the Ducks finishing in the basement for the next few years.

And Anaheim needed an insanely lights out performance from JS Giguere that season; so much so, he was playoff MVP despite playing on the LOSING team...

Yeah Kariya signed with Colorado for 1.2M - a tiny fraction of what Anaheim was offering (Kariya had made 10M the season before, and while the Ducks couldn't offer him that amount again, and the actual amount is unknown, it was undoubtedly many millions he left on the table).

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Yes!

And imagine being a player in that room in the spring after the TDL when he said that we need better players.

He has shown more than once that he considers himself above the team instead of being part of the team. He's basically a traitor and my only question is - why does this traitor still have a job here?
Indeed

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-11-17_21-33-52.gif

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Like y'all already heard bout that thang earlier like what was it... 3 months - 2 months ago. 1 month, that the player who skipped to russia who was it.... the uh leafs player. Zaitsev he was, so uh, he said that they got players in the locker room who just laugh at the coach's jokes and trying to be at the best light of him y'all know. I believed that instantly. They never tell and brake the code unless there's something mama thang going on... y'all know some soft dirt. And this was it. Zaitsev saw it, witnessed it and had evidense. He proved it and spoke out. There are some fakes out there and zaitsev told so. Mayne we a sad soft team right now. Needing some thugs there. Like we always and y'all remember. Toronto maple leafs ain't complete, ever before that happens period.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Like y'all already heard bout that thang earlier like what was it... 3 months - 2 months ago. 1 month, that the player who skipped to russia who was it.... the uh leafs player. Zaitsev he was, so uh, he said that they got players in the locker room who just laugh at the coach's jokes and trying to be at the best light of him y'all know. I believed that instantly. They never tell and brake the code unless there's something mama thang going on... y'all know some soft dirt. And this was it. Zaitsev saw it, witnessed it and had evidense. He proved it and spoke out. There are some fakes out there and zaitsev told so. Mayne we a sad soft team right now. Needing some thugs there. Like we always and y'all remember. Toronto maple leafs ain't complete, ever before that happens period.

Oz - not Zaitsev.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
what if hakstol is the main problem? leafs are taking much more point shots this year than pervious years and this was the same for flyers when hakstol coached them.

last three years, leafs were always dangerously offensively but this years its all gone...
We also said Smith was the main problem, and the PK problems still remain with Hakstol. The head coach is still here. This is Babcock.

Reactions: IPS and ToMaLe

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Really , great concern being stated now? Let's see, it took them a month and a half this year to be concerned. What about the 2nd half of last year?

Exactly. The players checked out long ago. Especially Matthews. He plays his B game almost all the time.

Too bad they have to do it at the expense of the fans who, sadly, really care.
The truth.

The players dont really care. They think it would be nice to win a cup, but our RFAs just focused on taking as much of the cap as they could. And this overpaid core will need a miracle to get complimentary pieces to help them make a team.

Overpaying 4 forwards isn't a good idea to build a team. It created 4 Haves and the rest are Have Nots. Boston doesnt do that and that's one key reason they will be a successful team.

BeLeafInTheFuture

Jul 4, 2018
Scotland
I don't get how a coach earning $6.25 mill per season and that has only won 2 regulation games in the last 15 can stay on. Regardless of his previous history with us making the playoffs, record points haul etc. If this was any other popular sport, the head coach would've been canned in a heart beat. I watched the highlights again of the Pittsburgh game and I love how Babcock basically said their heads went down after Pittsburgh scored their first. I mean, they should be used to the other team scoring first, it's happened mostly all friggin' season so far. It should be his job as a head coach to pick them up and light a fire under their asses but it's clearly not working or he just simply isn't doing that. It doesn't take a Psychology degree to figure out this team has tuned out their Head Coach, it just boggles my mind how he's still in a job.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I totally agree with the point about Ovi’s remarks
It made me sick to hear Babcock spewing that garbage to his team
And always praising the other teams players

Babcock is desperate. He is trying to rally the team but they've decided to double down and get him fired.

Dubas has 2 choices: trade one of our overpaid forwards or fire Babcock.

The players have made it clear they won't play for this coach.

Sparks was 100% right. He told us the truth. There is something wrong in the dressing room. No Emotion, Just show up to work because you have to.

Reactions: biotk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad