Rumor: Zadorov has rejected a 4.5m x 4/5 yr offer from Canucks, Both sides want to get a deal done asap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
1 million dollars Is a million that goes elsewhere. I'd rather try to tack on years then pay more.

Again he has that physicality people will pay for. In the end you gotta make it to the playoffs to play in them. So overpaying too many players can really harm a team.

If Lindholm is taking something in the 6s then Zadorov can be overpaid in the 5s.

Every team has someone overpaid on the roster, thats just the business. The key is to have other players on a team friendly deal. With the Canucks, those players are Hughes, Miller and Demko. This will allow them to overpay a bit on other players, and a player like Z is definitely the type of player you wouldnt mind overpaying.

I think this is all moot tho and Z doesnt sign anywhere near 6 mil.

I dont think he makes it to free agency and he gives the Canucks a team friendly deal that starts with a 5.

Comparables would be someone like:

Lindell 5.8
Cernak 5.2
Oleksiak : 4.6
Graves: 4.5

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Every team has someone overpaid on the roster, thats just the business. The key is to have other players on a team friendly deal. With the Canucks, those players are Hughes, Miller and Demko. This will allow them to overpay a bit on other players, and a player like Z is definitely the type of player you wouldnt mind overpaying.

I dont think he makes it to free agency and he gives the Canucks a team friendly deal that starts with a 5.

Lindell 5.8
Cernak 5.2
5 is a good comparable, but we know that agents are greasy weasels, and we know for certain that his agent is going to look at those deals, then look at the cap increase and use that as a basis to ask for more. If he signs for 6, I hope he is ready to be in the "bad contract" discussions.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
4-5 Dman perhaps in a vague sense in the regular season.

but once it became playoff time, He was Mr everything....and played like a top pairing Dman.

His game is definitely suited for playoffs where cross checking, physical play etc gets allowed more.

Not sure how you can call him a #4/5 Dman in the playoffs when he played in almost all situations:

- penalty kill
-shutdown role 5 on 5
- He was even the extra man on the ice and net front presence when the Canucks pulled the goalie in the Nashville series for the miracle win.

Would be thrilled with anything 5.75 and under. Anything over will admittedly be an overpayment, but Z is the type of player you dont mind overpaying with what he can bring in a 7 game series.

Lets say he does make 6mil a year, overpayment sure...so what though, youre overpaying him by maybe 500k a year...big deal...thats not crippling at all.
Were not talking about Darnell Nurse money here where a team will be overpaying by 2-3 mil a year.
if that $5M plus AAV was partnered with a 3 yrs term you could deal with it BUT there is a really high probability that its going to come with a 5 yr plus term which is where it will become an issue.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
5 is a good comparable, but we know that agents are greasy weasels, and we know for certain that his agent is going to look at those deals, then look at the cap increase and use that as a basis to ask for more. If he signs for 6, I hope he is ready to be in the "bad contract" discussions.

1 mil overpayment?

He will hardly make the list of " bad contracts" not when there are likes of Nurse, Karlsson, S Jones, Werenski, Trouba etc all being over paid by at least 2+mil AAV. at 6mil per season big Z probably wouldnt even make the top 20 list of Dmen bad contracts.

Heck the Canucks had Myers making 6mil per season when he was a 3mil player and he wasnt even considered one of the worst contracts in the nhl.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
It’s all about how you view Zadorov. Is a 3-4or a 5-6? His size and the physical element to his game will also add value as well as a strong performance this year. It’s tough to utilize comparable contracts because the cap is going up for the first time in years. Personally, I think Zadorov’s next contract will set the value for a lot of UFA defenseman this summer.

It seems like the team and Zadorov’s camp view his value as top 4 D or like a 4-5. I think 5-5.5 is fair. I think he’ll probably get too much term at 29 but he is a UFA.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why not just wait????? Dumb if he signs now. He is so close to FA.

People have this mindset because we are all Average Joes and we couldnt get the concept of that much money.

What we always fail to realize is these athletes most of the time value other priorities over money. a couple of hundreds of thousands is a big deal to us but a smaller deal to people in their position

They can afford to prioritize and be picky about the city they live in, the franchise they play for.

Z has openly said how amazing it is to play for a Canadian market like Vancouver and he has never experienced anything like it. He thrives in it.

He has also said his family absolutely loves Vancouver the city.

So why would it be dumb of him if he can strike up a deal with Van before UFA?

Sure he might leave some money on the table but if he does that then clearly money isnt his priority and i respect that.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Someone will offer him 5m x 6 for sure. Possibly even 6m x 6. Whether that's a team he wants to play for idk but Vancouver's offer should start with 5 and be at least 5 years or else it's a bit insulting imo.

Reactions: Ragdoll and David71

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1 mil overpayment?

He will hardly make the list of " bad contracts" not when there are likes of Nurse, Karlsson, S Jones, Werenski, Trouba etc all being over paid by at least 2+mil AAV. at 6mil per season big Z probably wouldnt even make the top 20 list of Dmen bad contracts.

Heck the Canucks had Myers making 6mil per season when he was a 3mil player and he wasnt even considered one of the worst contracts in the nhl.
I dunno, Gudbranson gets brought into the bad contracts discussions all the time and he isn't 2M overpaid. Zadorov is basically this years Gudbranson.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Lindell 5.8
Cernak 5.2
I think based on Alvin's comments last week that both ex flames will be re-signed sooner than later. They obviously want to get their top priorities done before July 1st so they know who else they can target.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think Z also has specific cities he wants to play in. He isnt some desperate UFA that will play anywhere that pays him the most.

What do we know about him?

1. He lives in Florida in the off-season
2. He Loves Vancouver ( warm weather, ocean , lakes, etc)
3. He looks down on Alberta for whatever personal opinion : weather, nothing to do etc..
4. Enjoys big market and big media and having a platform to be loud and outspoken.

If you take into account all that you can definitely see that Big Z is going to sign in a :

1. Big Market City
2. Warm City with little to no winters
3. Quality of life, things to do in the city etc....

I think he probably has a top 5-10 cities that he is willing to play in...and out of those 10 how many want Z and are willing to over pay him enough to convince him to leave Vancouver, a city we know he loves and a team he loves playing for.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If you think he can play 4-5 years at his current level I would give him 5M x 7 years. In 6 or 7 years what will the average pay be for a vet physical #6? Right now I think Schenn set that as 2.75 AAV. Equal cap% then that is probably 4-5M

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I think 5X5 is a fair deal for both sides. Zadorov is a pretty unique player. I think they'll get Z done and lose Lindholm. He's getting 8+
Anything can happen but based on what Lindholm said after the season was over compared to what he said when he was trades combined with what Alvin said, it seems like a deal gets done.

I don't think he gets 8, he's a great 2c but JT got 8 after being 10th in scoring the previous 3 seasons, including a 40 goal 99 point season.
If some team was willing to go 8 id be ok with Alvin going 7×8 years as long as it's not buyout proof

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Anything can happen but based on what Lindholm said after the season was over compared to what he said when he was trades combined with what Alvin said, it seems like a deal gets done.

I don't think he gets 8, he's a great 2c but JT got 8 after being 10th in scoring the previous 3 seasons, including a 40 goal 99 point season.
If some team was willing to go 8 id be ok with Alvin going 7×8 years as long as it's not buyout proof
I do think he gets 8+ if it doesn't matter to him where he goes. If he wants to pick a market then maybe not. I just think he's going to Columbus. Lindholm hates media and loves Johnny.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
No he actually called out the media for that and said that term is more important than AAV. He basically said here is where he wants to be and both sides are on the same page.
Yes, that’s how I see it too. He wants term, preferably 6years. I guess they will settle on 6 years deal in 4.5-5.5M AAV range

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
This guy makes such garbage threads. He just writes his own shit that contains some truths while the other half of it is his own speculation.

It would be great if the mods just stopped letting this guy make threads.

Where is the direct quote that says both sides want to get a deal done asap?

Most recent report: Both sides aren’t talking right now.

I would second that!

• Love
Reactions: Peen

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
5 x 5 is expected

Why less than someone like:

Lindell who is a pure defensive Dman making 5.8 cap hit
Cernak - career high 18pts- 5.2 mil
Risto- nowhere near as good as Z, making 5.1
Gavrikov- 23 pts last year - defensive dman, better defensively than Z, but making 5.8
Pelech- Another Defensive Dman- 5.75

These are all older contracts, so just curious why the market for Z is at 5mil AAV?

I think 5x5 would be a steal.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
That’s the max I’d go. The guy is a #4 on a good team.

Which post were you replying to in regards to the max you go?

Canucks were a good a team this year, Which 3 Dmen do you take over Z to make him a #4

Hughes
Hronek
Soucy
Myers
Juulsen
Cole
Friedman

Soucy is great dont get me wrong, he is solid and reliable but he doesnt bring as much as Z brings to the table.

I think Z falls in between Hronek and Soucy and since Hughes and Hronek were clearly playing injured and limited, Z actually played and performed like our #1 in the playoffs.

• Wow
Reactions: aregora

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Watch it be something whacky like $4.25 x 8 with 12 team NTC for 5 years and last 3 be full NMC.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Which post were you replying to in regards to the max you go?

Canucks were a good a team this year, Which 3 Dmen do you take over Z to make him a #4

Hughes
Hronek
Soucy
Myers
Juulsen
Cole
Friedman

Soucy is great dont get me wrong, he is solid and reliable but he doesnt bring as much as Z brings to the table.

I think Z falls in between Hronek and Soucy and since Hughes and Hronek were clearly playing injured and limited, Z actually played and performed like our #1 in the playoffs.
Hughes and Hronek are the clear 1-2. I'd say Soucy is more of an anchor on that 2nd pair, so I'd rank him as the #3. Zadorov does more flashy things of course and is a monster, but if I'm looking at the pairs, I'd say that Soucy and his reliability is more of the #3 than Zadorov is. Labels don't matter a ton when they are going by pairs though, and its apparent that any way you slice it, on Vancouver, Zadorov is 2nd pair.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If he waits until free agency opens, I think Nashville and Trotz offer him a bigger deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad