Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I don't see why Edmonton would trade for Hyman when they can pick him up for nothing. The only difference is what? One year more? Why should the Oilers help correct Dubas' screw ups towards cap issues or lack of draft picks

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Yep. Too bad, missing out on a late 6th is a devastating loss.

Time to rebuild.

Not the point. Something, anything, is better than nothing. Can’t really be debated no matter how big or small. They had a rare chance to get a small token in exchange for a fan favorite and core player walking out the door and blew it. And they’re going to do it again next summer too.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
losing hyman for nothing is stupid. take whatever you can get ffs.

there is a time to massage your ego and having a tough stand; this ain't it. losing an asset for nothing because of some crackpot ego is DUMB.

where was this tough stand during marner/matthews negotiations?

just take what you get for hyman and move on. don't let me him walk for nothing.

If you don't stand your ground no one will take you seriously. Dubas set his price and didn't give in. Good for him. The Raptors could have traded Lowry at the deadline but didn't. The were not offered what they deemed was FMV, and stood their ground.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you don't stand your ground no one will take you seriously. Dubas set his price and didn't give in. Good for him. The Raptors could have traded Lowry at the deadline but didn't. The were not offered what they deemed was FMV, and stood their ground.

This is not the same situation. Also Raptor's are a franchise that is NOT a joke and have had a championship in recent memory

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I guess asking for a second was worth the gamble?

I don't know pretty bold for 400k of Cap space

Standing your ground is fine

But setting your price at an insane number if indeed the second was the ask is as dumb as Seattle

Watch Hyman now take a pay cut for it anyways...

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Smart. Stand our ground.

You can't ask for $3.5M in cap savings over the life of the contract for the normal price of a rights trade.

Goodrow's rights got a 6th.

That means Hyman's should be worth at least a 5th.

Add in the cap savings, and I don't blame the Leafs for starting the ask at a 2nd. I would even settle for a 4th + 6th type of thing.

I just know the ones who will shit on Dubas for not getting a "free" draft pick are the same ones who shit on Dubas for not standing his ground in other negotiations
How about standing your ground like Brisebois where you say to any opposing GM "if you want to talk to our player, here is the price before you are able to talk to him"?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
How about standing your ground like Brisebois where you say to any opposing GM "if you want to talk to our player, here is the price before you are able to talk to him"?

This is more close to the Dougie Hamilton situation where Toronto kept negotiating with him until pretty late. Seems like they made an 8 year offer just a few days ago.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
This is not the same situation. Also Raptor's are a franchise that is NOT a joke and have had a championship in recent memory

It's the exact same situation. Stand your ground, dont take less or what you feel is not fair. Good job on Dubas,

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's the exact same situation. Stand your ground, dont take less or what you feel is not fair. Good job on Dubas,
The NBA has an established sign and trade option. If Lowry wants we can go that route if he decides to walk to Philly or LA. Their have been dozens of players moved in this manner with teams getting back strong value (multiple 2nd rounders or even a late 1st in some cases along with cap dump)

The expectation for the Raptors was if next year we try and contend we can negotiate with the teams greatest player ever and try and work things out. If they go for a rebuild/retool they can use the sign and trade

In the NHL, this is not a proven means of transaction. We haven't seen deals where a team pays high value for adding a player on a 8th hear to save cap. Asking for a 2nd on this type of deal has no precedent making it riskier and less likely to occur.

We should just deal his rights today for a 5th or 6th in next years draft and let them sign him early on a 7 year deal. If they won't do that now because they are upset that sucks

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Just realized that Zach Hyman's kid is going to be an Edmontonian and an Oilers fan.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The NBA has an established sign and trade option. If Lowry wants we can go that route if he decides to walk to Philly or LA. Their have been dozens of players moved in this manner with teams getting back strong value (multiple 2nd rounders or even a late 1st in some cases along with cap dump)

The expectation for the Raptors was if next year we try and contend we can negotiate with the teams greatest player ever and try and work things out. If they go for a rebuild/retool they can use the sign and trade

In the NHL, this is not a proven means of transaction. We haven't seen deals where a team pays high value for adding a player on a 8th hear to save cap. Asking for a 2nd on this type of deal has no precedent making it riskier and less likely to occur.

We should just deal his rights today for a 5th or 6th in next years draft and let them sign him early on a 7 year deal. If they won't do that now because they are upset that sucks
It sucks that they wont help out the Oilers for a 6th?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It sucks that they wont help out the Oilers for a 6th?
Sucks if the Oilers sour to the point they won't deal for his rights. Forget the 8 year deal as it's clear the gap in value of what the 8th year is worth is too high between Dubas and Holland

I'm still hoping today we move hymans rights for a 2022 5th or 6th and get atleast something from moving him.

He's going to the Oilers the only thing this does is let them make it official earlier instead of waiting until the 28th. We don't gain anything by holding onto his rights up until then besides making the Oilers have to wait a few days before they can sign him to his 7 year deal. If Holland is willing to move a 5ht or 6th for his rights we should make that move now and end this chapter

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs didn't protect anyone at forward beyond the Top 4, and an expansion team didn't take anyone of them, but took the player we just got from Pittsburgh instead.

So hopefully, particularly with the pending loss of Hyman off of Leafs #1 line that the new additions that round out the forward group are better than what we already have now below the top 4.

Leafs do not have a lot of cap space so they will need to get creative filling those roster holes.

Such a dumb thing to try and prove your point. Who did they take on the other teams.

With your logic:
Cale Fleuy is better the Carey Price
Vince Dunn is better then Tarasenko
Donskoi better then Landeskog

3 examples off the top of my head. Clearly they didn't just take best player available from each team.

You know this and still post this type of BS. But you always do so it's not a surprise.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Sucks if the Oilers sour to the point they won't deal for his rights. Forget the 8 year deal as it's clear the gap in value of what the 8th year is worth is too high between Dubas and Holland

I'm still hoping today we move hymans rights for a 2022 5th or 6th and get atleast something from moving him.

He's going to the Oilers the only thing this does is let them make it official earlier instead of waiting until the 28th
Again, why help the Oilers out for a 5th or 6th?

The odds that a 5th or 6th rounder do anything at the NHL level are so slim you might as well be getting nothing in return.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Sorry, I was agreeing with you. lol

Apologies.

Assumed so, but wanted to make sure :laugh:

Always moving those goal posts when Dubas talk comes up.

"Dubas signs players for too much money"

Let's Hyman walk for asking for too much term and money.

"Why the hell did he let him walk !!!!"

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Again, why help the Oilers out for a 5th or 6th?

The odds that a 5th or 6th rounder do anything at the NHL level are so slim you might as well be getting nothing in return.
Your not helping the Oilers exclusively. Your helping your own team which has 6 picks the next two years add a 5th/6th. Hyman was a 5th himself.

If we are trading his rights all we are doing is saving the Oilers twitter staff a few days before they can make it official they've given Zach Hyman 5-5.5 x 7

We should be looking to recoup our own assets and worry less about a team in another conference with whom we have no real rivalry and a near 0% chance of.playing in the playoffs (both the leafs and Oilers making the finals in the same season is to hard to imagine for me)

We could also send his rights for a 5th/6th to a non Oilers team it doesn't matter to me who we trade them to. I'd like to get an asset for a guy whose 100% confirmed to be leaving in less than a 100 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad