Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
We literally have six Draft picks over the next two Drafts combined.

Don't get greedy, take the f***ing pick. If all you can pry is a 6th or 7th, take it.

Reactions: Buds17

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yea... maybe dubas should have waited and tried to acquire a pick for exclusive negotiating rights, instead of granting it for free.

His reasoning was he wanted Hyman to make a decision early so he knows if he should be active in free agency.

This tactic seemed to help everyone else more than the leafs, especially Hyman and might have put the leafs at a disadvantage. Hyman gets first dibs on all the teams with ample space and nobody else to compete with, no fear of losing out either... he could check the market early and if things don't go well, come back to the Leafs.

Seems really silly to me... unless the leafs land a 3rd for the 8th year.
It is for the 8th year, not the negotiation.

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
40M is 40M. Let the man secure his future. Maybe he doesn't want to mooch off his family.
Imagine the lucrative deals, outside of an NHL contract, he could earn from his hometown team, one of the top income-earning cities in the league, if he brings the Cup home. Edmonton? He'll never have to pay full price for floor tiles I guess.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Imagine the lucrative deals, outside of an NHL contract, he could earn from his hometown team, one of the top income-earning cities in the league, if he brings the Cup home. Edmonton? He'll never have to pay full price for floor tiles I guess.

How much more are the oilers offering him? Isnt it like 1 million more each year? Thats 8 million less! No way he makes 8 million om endoresement deals after he retires in Toronto, even with a Stanley Cup.

Besides 11 million each for 3 players, two of which demanded short term deals anticipating they could cash in even more when the cap went up! Naa hes going to Edmonton to play with Mcdavid who signed a long term contract for less than he had to and recorded 40 points more than Marner and Matthews. Mcdavid is an easy going guy, passionate about winning and down to earth...hes not into top hats, sockless shoes and mickey mouse t-shirts.

Mcdavid is incredible but hes such a humble low key guy; i feel like id be more comfortable there if i was a player.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Name one lucrative deal he would get in Toronto?

Reactions: binop7

Beaszt519

Feb 15, 2020
He didn't choose to leave, the Leafs didn't pitch him a contract near his worth. Would you work for a 20% discount versus the business next door?

I've done this exact thing for most of my life because I'd rather enjoy where I work and the people I'm surrounded with verses make 20% more and not enjoy my life.. this really doesn't apply to Hyman tho unless people/fans in Edmonton start to make him feel depressed for not living up to the contract or perhaps the hundreds of thousand of crazy leaf fans harassing him for "leaving." He may regret one day not taking a discount for quite a few reasons, especially if a miracle happens and Leafs win the cup during that contract and his team struggles the entire time.

Reactions: Lauro

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I think he will be ok, in 5 years all he’s done is a few sokolov lawyers bits on the radio. He would have done more if he was going to get it by now

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He didn't choose to leave, the Leafs didn't pitch him a contract near his worth. Would you work for a 20% discount versus the business next door?

Leafs apparently offered him 8 x 4, that's already far more than he's worth.

Anything north of 5 years x 4, and I'm out.

I'll miss Hyman the player, but I'm glad it won't be the Leafs paying that contract.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I think he will be ok, in 5 years all he’s done is a few sokolov lawyers bits on the radio. He would have done more if he was going to get it by now

On TV he's done Sonnet Insurance, Wonder Bread....he does some healthy eating commercial as well, I forget what it is though.

Omar23

Jun 14, 2021
West coast
Yeah, too bad they don't have a full off season to make trades and sign FA eh.
I don’t know if their going to be soft, but their going have a hard time filling out a Stanley cup level roster shopping in the bargain bin. Not like their loaded with assets to trade either. This roster is just not good after the 4

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

or the business next door offered you 20% more than you are worth and current employer said you’d be stupid not to take that we won’t be paying you that much

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don’t know if their going to be soft, but their going have a hard time filling out a Stanley cup level roster shopping in the bargain bin. Not like their loaded with assets to trade either. This roster is just not good after the 4

This management group has shown the cap gymnastics before, I wouldn't be too concerned about finding what the need to round out the roster. They aren't looking for many high cost assets.

That's pretty extreme about the roster being no good after the top 4. Completely over exaggerating.

Omar23

Jun 14, 2021
West coast
This management group has shown the cap gymnastics before, I wouldn't be too concerned about finding what the need to round out the roster. They aren't looking for many high cost assets.

That's pretty extreme about the roster being no good after the top 4. Completely over exaggerating.
Just my opinion, could be wrong, just don’t see them winning 4 rounds of playoff hockey, think that the top 4 will wear down. Unless dubas can bring in more than the seniors tour and mid level euro free agents. We’ll see but hyman this year and probably Reilly next year, not going to get easier. Plus Campbell has never shown he can be a number 1. Hope he does though

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've done this exact thing for most of my life because I'd rather enjoy where I work and the people I'm surrounded with verses make 20% more and not enjoy my life.. this really doesn't apply to Hyman tho unless people/fans in Edmonton start to make him feel depressed for not living up to the contract or perhaps the hundreds of thousand of crazy leaf fans harassing him for "leaving." He may regret one day not taking a discount for quite a few reasons, especially if a miracle happens and Leafs win the cup during that contract and his team struggles the entire time.

Yeah, well maybe the highlighted is why ...

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Just my opinion, could be wrong, just don’t see them winning 4 rounds of playoff hockey, think that the top 4 will wear down. Unless dubas can bring in more than the seniors tour and mid level euro free agents. We’ll see but hyman this year and probably Reilly next year, not going to get easier. Plus Campbell has never shown he can be a number 1. Hope he does though

I get that and your completely entitled to that opinion and really it's a good opinion, they haven't shown shit yet in the playoffs.

Many team struggle to get over the hump of being good in the playoffs, we gotta hope they can get over it also.

I was just saying they have a lot more the just the top 4 forwards.

Reactions: Omar23

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Leafs didn't protect anyone at forward beyond the Top 4, and an expansion team didn't take anyone of them, but took the player we just got from Pittsburgh instead.

So hopefully, particularly with the pending loss of Hyman off of Leafs #1 line that the new additions that round out the forward group are better than what we already have now below the top 4.

Leafs do not have a lot of cap space so they will need to get creative filling those roster holes.

Reactions: Omar23

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs didn't protect anyone at forward beyond the Top 4, and an expansion team didn't take anyone of them, but took the player we just got from Pittsburgh instead.

So hopefully, particularly with the pending loss of Hyman off of Leafs #1 line that the new additions that round out the forward group are better than what we already have now below the top 4.

Leafs do not have a lot of cap space so they will need to get creative filling those roster holes.

Leafs core is set.

The interesting part of going to be finding out where the kids are at?

Without full hockey seasons everywhere what happened to their youngsters?

Tavares, Matthews, marner, Nylander
Muzzin, Rielly, Brodie, Holl
Campbell

That really isn't going to change.

Really, unless they land something better than Holl, or Liljegren/Dermott knock him off, the competition is the bottom 6, and bottom pair.

Too bad the drafts prior to 2018 look like a lot of misses, or we could be saying "Play the kids!"

Mikheyev, Engvall, Brooks, Spezza, Simmonds, Kerfoot
Liljegren, Dermott, Sandin

Leafs didn't need protect Liljegren or Sandin so that was easy.

Losing Hyman to free agency? Unless Matthews and marner fail to deliver, or have peaked, I think they can get by with another player there.

Penalty killing, someone will replace Hyman there. There is only 1 Hyman in the league and other teams penalty kill. Other players have penalty killed in the minors, and growing up.

I bet they can sign a one dimensional player at a reasonable price who can PK.

What they can't do is fail to deliver in the post season.

And they really need a goaltender who comes up big when it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad