Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Dubas has all of the leverage.

We own the player's rights and the opportunity cost for TOR is the loss of a ~4th-6th round pick. For EDM, not getting the 8th year at a lower AAV is poor optics and a bungled cap situation. 500k-1m might not seem like a lot, but Holland already admitted that they will be doing at least 1 buyout soon because they desperately need the cap room to fill out more holes than they have money for. The contract will immediately look bad even at 5m over 8 years, let alone close to 6m if they can't buy that 8th year.

Dubas should absolutely ask for a 2nd rounder and not settle for less than a 4th-5th. Other teams hold a gun to TOR's head when it comes to the cap so they should reciprocate.
You’re high as a kite if you think that little cap space is worth a second rounder. Take your blinders off. 6-7 is all they’re getting, if they get anything at all. Because that’s literally all it’s worth

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
You’re high as a kite if you think that little cap space is worth a second rounder. Take your blinders off. 6-7 is all they’re getting, if they get anything at all. Because that’s literally all it’s worth
You ok? Read the post slowly.

Negotiations start with a high ask. He should ask for a 2nd rounder (as is rumoured) and "not settle for less than a 4th-5th".

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You ok? Read the post slowly.

Negotiations start with a high ask. He should ask for a 2nd rounder (as is rumoured) and "not settle for less than a 4th-5th".
You can put whatever cute bow on it that you want bud. You end up in the same place because that’s all it’s worth

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So being allowed to negotiate early for one of the better free agents right along with a favour of an 8th year to bring the AAV down is only worth a 6th?

Joel Edmundson returned a 5th without negotiation rights.

Might want to try again.....

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So being allowed to negotiate early for one of the better free agents right along with a favour of an 8th year to bring the AAV down is only worth a 6th?

I’m good. Guess we’ll find out huh

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Reactions: Rocker13

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
If you read his post carefully his strategy is set the price high and then come down to something half way. And that’s bang on how I’d handle it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Yea... maybe dubas should have waited and tried to acquire a pick for exclusive negotiating rights, instead of granting it for free.

His reasoning was he wanted Hyman to make a decision early so he knows if he should be active in free agency.

This tactic seemed to help everyone else more than the leafs, especially Hyman and might have put the leafs at a disadvantage. Hyman gets first dibs on all the teams with ample space and nobody else to compete with, no fear of losing out either... he could check the market early and if things don't go well, come back to the Leafs.

Seems really silly to me... unless the leafs land a 3rd for the 8th year.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I would rather no compensation and let Edmonton get taken down on the cap hit more. 4 th round picks are dime a dozen.
This.

Hold out for the 2nd (wishful) or 3rd and just take nothing if you don't get it. We don't get the next Bobylev, they don't get the 8th year. Boo hoo .

It seems this is what they're on track to do anyways

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Yea... maybe dubas should have waited and tried to acquire a pick for exclusive negotiating rights, instead of granting it for free.

His reasoning was he wanted Hyman to make a decision early so he knows if he should be active in free agency.

This tactic seemed to help everyone else more than the leafs, especially Hyman and might have put the leafs at a disadvantage. Hyman gets first dibs on all the teams with ample space and nobody else to compete with, no fear of losing out either... he could check the market early and if things don't go well, come back to the Leafs.

Seems really silly to me... unless the leafs land a 3rd for the 8th year.

Not silly, it's stupid. We need a real GM, not someone who sells low and buys high.

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
From what I understand, Zack's family is loaded. Why does he need to chase the money all they way to a shithole like Edmonton? If he loves the Leafs, he would find a way to stay. Not saying he doesn't deserve to get the contract he has earned here and Dubas isn't to blame for that, but I'd assume he would stay if he wanted, and isn't in it for the money. Unless I'm wrong about that.

Reactions: Lauro

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
From what I understand, Zack's family is loaded. Why does he need to chase the money all they way to a shithole like Edmonton? If he loves the Leafs, he would find a way to stay. Not saying he doesn't deserve to get the contract he has earned here and Dubas isn't to blame for that, but I'd assume he would stay if he wanted, and isn't in it for the money. Unless I'm wrong about that.
40M is 40M. Let the man secure his future. Maybe he doesn't want to mooch off his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad