Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Your not helping the Oilers exclusively. Your helping your own team which has 6 picks the next two years add a 5th/6th. Hyman was a 5th himself.

If we are trading his rights all we are doing is saving the Oilers twitter staff a few days before they can make it official they've given Zach Hyman 5-5.5 x 7

We should be looking to recoup our own assets and worry less about a team in another conference with whom we have no real rivalry and a near 0% chance of.playing in the playoffs (both the leafs and Oilers making the finals in the same season is to hard to imagine for me)

We could also send his rights for a 5th/6th to a non Oilers team it doesn't matter to me who we trade them to. I'd like to get an asset for a guy whose 100% confirmed to be leaving in less than a 100 hours
I get it. I just dont think a 5th/6th is worth anything at all so you may as well hold out for more.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Your not helping the Oilers exclusively. Your helping your own team which has 6 picks the next two years add a 5th/6th. Hyman was a 5th himself.

If we are trading his rights all we are doing is saving the Oilers twitter staff a few days before they can make it official they've given Zach Hyman 5-5.5 x 7

We should be looking to recoup our own assets and worry less about a team in another conference with whom we have no real rivalry and a near 0% chance of.playing in the playoffs (both the leafs and Oilers making the finals in the same season is to hard to imagine for me)

We could also send his rights for a 5th/6th to a non Oilers team it doesn't matter to me who we trade them to. I'd like to get an asset for a guy whose 100% confirmed to be leaving in less than a 100 hours
You are damn right. By his moves, I start to think Dubas is as good as Benning.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I get it. I just dont think a 5th/6th is worth anything at all so you may as well hold out for more.
At the deadline, retention for one year (albeit larger portions) costs a fourth or fifth. This is 8 years worth, so probably holding out for 8 picks.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
But why wouldn’t you want to gain a marginal asset vs sweet f all as an organization? Didn’t they bend over backwards to manufacture a nothing pick on the Robin Lehner retention?
Cause I dont want Hyman to leave!

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
a 6th or 7th is nothing... you can get that for an ECHLer... why let Emd get a 750-1 mil reduction in cap for nothing?

3rd rounder is the only way i'd do it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Thing is if we are just dealing his rights we are just talking about saving the Oilers time not money

Asking for a 3rd or 4th would be odd because the Oilers don't lose anything if they don't comply with the request and can simply wait us out without any real harm to them

Under the sign and trade for 8 years in that case we were talking 500-700k space per year which is 3.5-5M over the duration of the deal which is quite a lot

Trading for his rights gives us essentially no real leverage besides us basically being petty and wanting to make the Oilers wait a couple of days before he is signed. I think it's better to get the guaranteed asset as lowly as it may be and just move on from the Zach Hyman contract talks and look towards making roster improvements via UFA

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Ya, if you have time and leverage, you can try to get more. Maybe oiler gives you 6th, you can ask for 4th or 3rd but you should settle on 5th.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
We picked Connor Brown with a 6th, Johnsson and Engvall with 7th's

That virtually nothing can become something useful
Leafs beat the odds for sure. Still doesnt really change the fact that like 5% of 6th rounders actually plat a full season in the NHL

Reactions: Myopic

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Leafs beat the odds for sure. Still doesnt really change the fact that like 5% of 6th rounders make the NHL.

Highly unlikely still doesn't equate to impossible though. Having that pick allows for that chance. It could also somehow serve as trade currency for the future. Slim > none.

Last edited:

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
Edmonton offered a 7th.
Dubas said naw, want a 5th.
Edmonton said no.

Not a big deal. No need to help a competitor for a 7th round damn pick.

Reactions: Cotton

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
We picked Connor Brown with a 6th, Johnsson and Engvall with 7th's

That virtually nothing can become something useful
And it improves the optics of this situation. Now you just let Holland walk on you like a welcome mat, freely negotiate the 7yr deal entirely without any fight except some apparent overreaching demand of a 3rd that had no precedent.

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
I just googled it, and turns out its a bit higher than I thought.
31% of 6th rounders play an NHL game. But 7.9% play more than 99 games.
Yeah when you actually start looking up facts and things like that, it's crazy how the picture starts to look different eh? A 6th or 7th might not turn into anything. A 6th or 7th next year might help push a trade through, might help move up a couple of draft spots, MIGHT(won't) turn into Datsyuk or Zetterberg, etc. There is value to everything in an org, I get loving the maple leafs unconditionally, but what is the real point here? TOR&EDM did all this work in contract talks, if it goes stale EDM just waits till FA and slides their contract through, the work they've done on the contract is still there, just waiting. Toronto can't say "well we'll just hold onto the player, sorry". He's EDM bound already. Good negotiation would've been "hey it's a 2nd rounder or I'm sending him to NYI tonight" from the first phone call. Dubas could've said that and followed up with "look i'm obviously not against letting him go for nothing, so give me the 2nd or just hang up." Any work Toronto has done towards this deal is nullified, and I mean work as in human hours put towards something. It's not good to do work with literally nothing to show for it in the end. THAT is a "net negative". With how few draft picks this team has and the financial situation they are in, one would think they should keep every possible avenue open, every phone ringing, to explore anything out there. It's not like the front office has been too busy focusing on the first round of this years draft. It's just a dumb hill to die on, especially when it looks like it's happening more frequently. People have been talking about this scenario for a year now, 'are they going to walk Hyman out the front door and pat him on the bottom July 28?' This is not supposed to be a farm club or day-care preparing these guys for the real NHL once their contracts expire. Would you be ok with Reilly going for nothing too?
People around here keep talking all this bit about addition by subtraction, you've gotten rid of all this dead weight, but what has gotten any better, really? If the goal is a Stanley Cup Championship, can you see the path to it clearly, or do you have to squint your eyes and try to see what you believe Management is seeing here?
The only two teams I can think of that walk players to free agency and let go of their hand like it's day 1 of school, is the Leafs & Blue Jackets.
This is a lot like the playoffs. "If they scored one little goal in games 5, 6, or 7 we're not here talking about this"
That's what this is like. As an isolated incident I would agree. But how many "little incidents" has it been over the last few years that if one small thing went different we wouldn't even be talking about them? A LOT. A lot of little things start to make up a big picture after a while, but you have to stand back and look at everything in the picture, not just this weeks picture. It doesn't look *great*

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What an absolute botch by Dubas... his complete inability to understand and succeed at negotiations is truly mind-boggling. The Leafs are woefully short on picks next year. It's not about what that pick may become, it's about how the value in a pick can be used.

The way it should have gone was very, very simple -- the price for Hyman is X draft pick... maybe a 4th in 2022. You want to talk to Hyman? you need to call Dubas 1st and agree to that price. If you're successful at getting a deal, then it's a 4th for Hyman's rights.

None of this "go to UFA early, let a team get their plan settled before the UFA-madness, all so you can be a nice guy"... complete BS

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What an absolute botch by Dubas... his complete inability to understand and succeed at negotiations is truly mind-boggling. The Leafs are woefully short on picks next year. It's not about what that pick may become, it's about how the value in a pick can be used.

The way it should have gone was very, very simple -- the price for Hyman is X draft pick... maybe a 4th in 2022. You want to talk to Hyman? you need to call Dubas 1st and agree to that price. If you're successful at getting a deal, then it's a 4th for Hyman's rights.

None of this "go to UFA early, let a team get their plan settled before the UFA-madness, all so you can be a nice guy"... complete BS

So guys, how about Knies? Looks like he can carve out a real nice niche for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad