Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If you don't stand your ground no one will take you seriously. Dubas set his price and didn't give in. Good for him. The Raptors could have traded Lowry at the deadline but didn't. The were not offered what they deemed was FMV, and stood their ground.

I remember when the Leafs didn't trade away P.A. Paranteau during the tank years. Lou said that if he did capitulate at that point it would cause all other GM's to play the waiting game until he caved in for future deals. I am not a huge fan of Dubas but I think he did the right thing here. He might actually be saving the Oilers from themselves and the extra year when they are looking to trade him or buy him out.

This will do down as a huge screw up for Holland. The only saving grace will be that its more than likely he blows out a knee and retires on LTIR than he does just slowly decline as a player.

Reactions: hockeynorth

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Im amazed with how many oilers fans want the leafs to just accept a 6th to add another year.
This will immediately become one of the worst contracts in the NHL.
You wanna add term?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
What an absolute botch by Dubas... his complete inability to understand and succeed at negotiations is truly mind-boggling. The Leafs are woefully short on picks next year. It's not about what that pick may become, it's about how the value in a pick can be used.

The way it should have gone was very, very simple -- the price for Hyman is X draft pick... maybe a 4th in 2022. You want to talk to Hyman? you need to call Dubas 1st and agree to that price. If you're successful at getting a deal, then it's a 4th for Hyman's rights.

None of this "go to UFA early, let a team get their plan settled before the UFA-madness, all so you can be a nice guy"... complete BS
I dont think you understand the situation.

Cost for negotiating rights is pretty straight forward, either you let them talk freely or its ~ a 6th, this isn't for negotiating rights though. This is for a sign and trade to save the Oilers about 500k in cap space per year.

That is worth far more than a 6th, if Dubas rolls over and takes a 6th than every GM in the league knows you can just wait Dubas out and he'll cave.

Sure an asset (6th) is better than nothing but giving up something for far less than what it's worth sets a dangerous precedent. The choice is simple, if Holland feels the cap savings is important he'll pay what its worth, if not, so be it.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
So you say Hyman would have to take $25M less than the $40M deal? So he would sign for 7yrs at $15M?

We just wanted people not to get over paid....we don't want to rip them off and have them play for peanuts.
No, not 7 at 15… more like 3-4 years at 4-5m annually. That SHOULD be the absolute upper limit you’d re-sign a guy like Hyman For, the fact that Holland has gone full dumbass to presumably appease his star forwards shouldn’t factor into what he should be getting.
Happy for Zach, happier it’s not us tying us to that deal

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
If Dubas doesn't accept a trash pick and forces Edm to sign a 7 year deal, I will actually gain a little respect for him.
Why though, just ego? So in a couple of years Dubas can look back and be like, "ok ok, Willy got me, Matty got me on the term, Mitch got me too, but remember when I absolutely bricked Holland on Hyman?"

Other than the memory, what is the gain for Toronto Maple Leafs here? Shouldn't that be the game-plan always, even if TOR can improve 0.1%, shouldn't they?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Why though, just ego? So in a couple of years Dubas can look back and be like, "ok ok, Willy got me, Matty got me on the term, Mitch got me too, but remember when I absolutely bricked Holland on Hyman?"

Other than the memory, what is the gain for Toronto Maple Leafs here? Shouldn't that be the game-plan always, even if TOR can improve 0.1%, shouldn't they?

No, I don't think so. If the value doesn't make sense from the Leafs' perspective, it behooves them to say no rather than cave to the Oilers offer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Next time Holland or another GM calls they'll know that they can't just wait him out and he'll cave.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Because you get something for nothing.
It’s not nothing, it’s saving a competitor 4-500k in cap each year for 8 years. I’d rather they have Hyman on the books for more aav hindering whatelse they can do to fix that roster than get a 6th.
They can wait until tbe 28th to have their little circle jerk celebration.
With how this club is a destination for college and European FA’s I’m not worried about the 200th pick in a draft barely anyone played a proper season during.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Ya, if you have time and leverage, you can try to get more. Maybe oiler gives you 6th, you can ask for 4th or 3rd but you should settle on 5th.
Why settle for anything when it’s obviously creating an advantage for the competition? Set your price, hold your ground.

Reactions: Smif

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
But why wouldn’t you want to gain a marginal asset vs sweet f all as an organization? Didn’t they bend over backwards to manufacture a nothing pick on the Robin Lehner retention?
You hold out until the day before free agency when Holland realizes 500K in capspace is indeed worth more than just a 6th.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Datsyuk (6th) and Zetterberg (7th) round picks, Point 3rd round pick, etc....

You need as many darts as possible to hopefully hit the bullseye. This is absolutely MORONIC by dubas if he doesnt get something for hyman
So lemme get this straight, when he “bends” according to the anti Dubas crowd to get the big four signed up to term he’s a meek pencil necked four eyed geek, but when he holds his ground in his price on a deal that will help a competitor gain an advantage of 4-500k of aav in a flat cap world he’s a moron?
Am I understanding this right?

Reactions: Smif

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
GMs have some reciprocity; we get something for helping out Edmonton instead of getting nothing; and tomorrow Edmonton might help us out a little.

There are times to stand your ground and there are times to be tactful. This is the time to be tactful. Losing an asset for nothing when we have only 6 picks in the next two drafts is not a good strategy.

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
With the third round over for me there would be nothing to discuss anymore.
Dubas asked for a second he could have taken the 3rd and seen it as a reasonable compromise.

A 6th round pick isn’t worth having every team lowball you going forward thinking you will eventually cave.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012

Nah, if he bends over again here than GM's will continue to bend him over. Maybe if he finally stands his ground other GM's will get the message and stop bending him over. Its not like we're firing him, somehow ownership is content with running the exact same team and expecting different results.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So lemme get this straight, when he “bends” according to the anti Dubas crowd to get the big four signed up to term he’s a meek pencil necked four eyed geek, but when he holds his ground in his price on a deal that will help a competitor gain an advantage of 4-500k of aav in a flat cap world he’s a moron?
Am I doing this right?

big four signing up is a "huge impact" on our team. helping opposition for 4-500K while getting an asset instead of nothing while losing a roster player is logical. Edmonton doesn't play in the Atlantic Division OR the Eastern conference (metro division); they are hardly a "direct" competitor

dubas can apparently do no wrong in the eyes of dubas fans can he?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With the third round over for me there would be nothing to discuss anymore.
Dubas asked for a second he could have taken the 3rd and seen it as a reasonable compromise.

A 6th round pick isn’t worth having every team lowball you going forward thinking you will eventually cave.

I'd take 116, but after that they can get back to us with a 2023 pick after the draft.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'd be much more happy with a 22 pick. Zeke hit the nail on the head, this year is a crapshoot, next year should be back to normal.
Yeah, fine by me too. Especially now as a 4th is the highest we can get this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad