Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If we wanted a 6th we would have demanded it to talk to him. By letting them talk for free we upped the anti in attempt to create more value. That value has been created, so we want our share of that. If Edmonton wants to realize the value we helped them create- they'll pay our price for it.

Being triggered by things you don't understand is a bad look, better to try and learn from them.

If they refuse to pay the price you just let hyman walk and we have what to show for it? Just ego? how does that help the leafs at all

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not everything is about head to head matchups.

The Oilers are potential competition when it comes to future trade markets, free agency periods ect. Unless they're willing to pay a price, no need to give them a means of gaining extra capspace this giving them an advantage in future.

there are a lot of ifs and buts in your explanation. lets say hyman walks as a ufa and oilers sign him for that additional cap hit.

what do leafs get out of it? leafs get nothing.

the potential trade in future where leafs could have had someone that oilers were also eyeing but we blocked them by not giving oilers any relief is so far down the line that it has no impact on the leafs unless Leafs have a magic crystal ball that tells them exactly who the oilers would be looking for and if it is the same candidate that leafs will also be looking to get. This is nothing but guess work and conjecture when one thing is for certain: Hyman is not going to be a Leaf.

Should the Leafs get something for him or nothing?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If they refuse to pay the price you just let hyman walk and we have what to show for it? Just ego? how does that help the leafs at all

The same as we would have if we never let them talk in the first place.

It's the principle. Foregoing the "rights" pick to let them talk for free in attempt to get more if they can reach an 8 deal was blatant step outside of convention. It was a gamble. If Holland sees the benefit of that for the same price he would have paid for "rights" then it's a very public loss, and something GM's would definitely file away.

Even if it's two 6ths, or a 6th with someone we really like on the board and next years 7th, it needs to be more than the 6th we could have got just for his rights.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We have a lot of time to get something for him. The Leafs have been waiting for Edmonton to step up and make an acceptable offer instead of just f***ing around.

Not arguing that. We have until July 28th 11:59 am EST; so I don;t mind playing the long game. But in the end I would prefer we get something for him instead of nothing.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not arguing that. We have until July 28th 11:59 am EST; so I don;t mind playing the long game. But in the end I would prefer we get something for him instead of nothing.
Sure, it would be better. The Leafs have been waiting for a serious offer.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The same as we would have if we never let them talk in the first place.

It's the principle. Foregoing the "rights" pick to let them talk for free in attempt to get more if they can reach an 8 deal was blatant step outside of convention. It was a gamble. If Holland sees the benefit of that for the same price he would have paid for "rights" then it's a very public loss, and something GM's would definitely file away.

I don't agree with this especially since Edmonton is in the western conference and not really a direct competitor for the Leafs.

Leafs have 6 picks in total (including this and next draft).

Letting assets walk for free while not having any playoff success and absolutely cap strapped is not a good strategy for the betterment of the club.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't agree with this especially since Edmonton is in the western conference and not really a direct competitor for the Leafs.

Leafs have 6 picks in total (including this and next draft).

Letting assets walk for free while not having any playoff success and absolutely cap strapped is not a good strategy for the betterment of the club.
The offers have to he serious. They can't just accept anything.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Sure, it would be better. The Leafs have been waiting for a serious offer.

All I am saying is that we need to get something for Hyman. Letting him walk is not ideal. Its not good asset management; especially for an already asset poor (no picks/prospects) club; that finds it hard to have quality depth because 4 guys take 50% of the cap.

We have to get something for Hyman

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't agree with this

If you don't agree with it then you need to take back everything you ever complained about any Dubas' negotiation, and never say anything again, because this is by far the most black and white, textbook, low cost example of negotiating principle/ability in his tenure.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The offers have to he serious. They can't just accept anything.

The choice is accept something or nothing. Dubas can wait till 11:59 am on July 28th for all I care but get something.

Datsyuk (6th), Zetterberg (7th), etc.... have been had in the past. Heck we might get lucky with that pick who the hell knows.

It's the same analogy from the comment of Gretzky: "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

The pick might be a dud but even if there is 0.1% probability that we might get a stud or a serviceable NHL player you take that pick instead of nothing.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
All I am saying is that we need to get something for Hyman. Letting him walk is not ideal. Its not good asset management; especially for an already asset poor (no picks/prospects) club; that finds it hard to have quality depth because 4 guys take 50% of the cap.

I disagree. It would be better if we got something, but worse if we accept a low-ball offer.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. You are thinking in terms of absolutes when you should be thinking in terms of relative.

If we help out oil here what is the relative impact on the Leafs? If we don't help out oilers what is the relative impact on the Leafs?

OIlers going to sign hyman with that additional 500K cap hit or not; Leafs have to get something for it instead of nothing.

Dubas fans really trigger me to no end. You guys justify his every move no matter how much it screws the Leafs. Are you Leafs fans or not?
What does this have to do with Dubas? For all we know he could want the exact same thing as you and he picks up a seventh rounder.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you don't agree with it then you need to take back everything you ever complained about any Dubas' negotiation, and never say anything again, because this is by far the most black and white, textbook, low cost example of negotiating principle/ability in his tenure.

Dubas' negotiations before were a JOKE and if Hyman walks for nothing you can add another kink in the failure that has been Dubas' tenure as a GM with the Leafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What does this have to do with Dubas? For all we know he could want the exact same thing as you and he picks up a seventh rounder.

If Dubas gets a pick I have no problem. It's his fans that have been justifying letting hyman walk for nothing is solid because it is Dubas' decision is what is pissing me off

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Yeah I don’t understand how all the same posters who complain about Dubas caving in negotiations are now begging to have him cave for a 6th or 7th round pick.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I disagree. It would be better if we got something, but worse if we accept a low-ball offer.

who the heck is saying that accept a lowball offer? accept the best offer available; but accept it don't let hyman go for nothing.

have you seen other posts here claiming not getting anything for hyman is alright because dubas is awesome? yea... i dont think so.

I am a Leafs fan; and it matters to me how Leafs get impacted

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Dubas' negotiations before were a JOKE and if Hyman walks for nothing you can add another kink in the failure that has been Dubas' tenure as a GM with the Leafs
Dubas has been muzzled
His only hope is if the leafs get off to a hot start after 30 games next season
I might be wrong but to me he looks all but gone

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Edmonton is the party under pressure here. Make them sweat.

Reactions: ACC1224

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah I don’t understand how all the same posters who complain about Dubas caving in negotiations are now begging to have him cave for a 6th or 7th round pick.

It's because a lot of the opinions on the board are based 100% on getting the result they desired, with 0% understanding of the potential mechanics, motivations, a judgements at play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad