Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Wow fear of what might happen if we make changes. That's where we're at?
Why fire any GM the next guy could be worse.
Why trade any star player they might do well on another team.
The off season just started Dubas is sticking with this core come hell or high water which doesn't leave a lot of room for change. So pardon me for not hiding behind excuses and being paralysed by fear of change.
Dubas paid these guys - it hasn't worked for 5 years. Fix it. At the very least be open to talking about anyone on the roster like any competent GM should.
Offseason just started. we have months before next season the Trade block just lifted. we are going into the NHL Draft and then Free Agency. Why not give a little time and see how the team looks.

Anyways Lumberg you are a very annoying person and I've had enough of this conversation I've made my point enough so
Yeeeah I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to leave me alone now Yeeeeah.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Offseason just started. we have months before next season the Trade block just lifted. we are going into the NHL Draft and then Free Agency. Why not give a little time and see how the team looks.

Anyways Lumberg you are a very annoying person and I've had enough of this conversation I've made my point enough so
Yeeeah I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to leave me alone now Yeeeeah.
You have no point
Buh bye

Reactions: yubbers

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Ill agree he built a soft team but last year he went out and tried to fix that and filled alot of things we needed our depth + D and goaltending were great for us. Matthews/Marner disappeared in the playoffs.

We should have won. I don't put any blame for this team losing to Montreal on Dubas. even without Tavares that team was good enough to win and possibly even take out Winnipeg too. but they didn't f***ing care.
Doesn't matter what moves a GM makes if your core doesn't care to win.

Unfortunately now with flat cap unless we move one of our highest paid players this is how things will be moving forward the sooner you accept it the better off you will be.
No doubt he is trying. The problem is he has painted himself into a corner with the expensive 4. As it stands now he has very few options to make it better.
As far as the Leafs should have beaten the Habs I agree 100%. I also think they should have won the play in round the season before and yes that’s on the players. The issue becomes what does he do about it. Marner has been crap for 3 playoffs in a row, hasn’t scored on the PP in over a year and has come out and actually said his is not going to do anything different.
Yet Dubas is going to basically do a rerun of last years team. To me that is total incompetence and shows he does not have the experience to run this team.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
ADAPT!!! You have a different cap now so.msybe re- think your allocation given the results. Or continue down the same road - with all.of his NHL success he just knows he's right. Arrogance
you are just basing your opinion on the fact that we lost. I seriously doubt you were thinking this way leading into last season or leading into the playoffs and offseason just started, hasnt been enough time to adapt for next season yet.

Stop living in the past what happened happened. time to look to the future. Will you give the team enough time to adapt for next season?
Actually I dont even know why I'm asking I don't really care

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No doubt he is trying. The problem is he has painted himself into a corner with the expensive 4. As it stands now he has very few options to make it better.
As far as the Leafs should have beaten the Habs I agree 100%. I also think they should have won the play in round the season before and yes that’s on the players. The issue becomes what does he do about it. Marner has been crap for 3 playoffs in a row, hasn’t scored on the PP in over a year and has come out and actually said his is not going to do anything different.
Yet Dubas is going to basically do a rerun of last years team. To me that is total incompetence and shows he does not have the experience to run this team.
Honestly man I know one of the big names has to go. Im not sure if it's the right move or if we should just stay the course and keep em all. in 3 years if Matthews leaves and we prob dont resign Tavares the year after. Marner might be the only one left that actually wants to be here.

His playoffs has not been impressive. he's still young be nice if he could strengthen up and prove himself next time over us making a dumb trade that we will regret in a year, be nice if he used the negativity from this loss as motivation.

I'm down for change. at this point I don't care what that change is I'm going in this year completely unbiased and just hoping for the best.
If we don't get this right we could go on a path like we were after 04. I'm not excited to get back to a 10 year window of not even making the playoffs again.

Patience is key. hopefully the right moves comes along and we put this mess behind us next playoffs if we make it atleast.

Reactions: Racer88

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Edmonton giving an asset to add a year they shouldn't want??

I would think if hes good with 7 years they should get it done
Friedman says its a late round pick. Mentioned a 6th.

Says this may not be enough for the leafs to help out the oilers.

Gotta wonder what that half mil in cap space is really worth, eh?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

When’s the deadline for them to sign and trade?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

id take a 6th its better than nothing, and cripples the oilers for 1 extra year too

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Again, he's the GM this is a results oriented business. Crying and whining? Geez I dunno I'd rather express disgust with this team and how it's constructed than make constant excuses like you. Covid happened, make adjustments, your core fails every year, make adjustments. Or dig your heels in and refuse to even consider this isn't working. Nothing is Dubas's fault - how convenient
Couldn’t agree more

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
id take a 6th its better than nothing, and cripples the oilers for 1 extra year too

As a general rule, take something over nothing. But in this case it may be more crippling for the Oilers to pay a higher AAV for the good years of the contract.

If Holland wants to save some aav, Dubas should bleed him for it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
As a general rule, take something over nothing. But in this case it may be more crippling for the Oilers to pay a higher AAV for the good years of the contract.

If Holland wants to save some aav, Dubas should bleed him for it.

true, im happy either way. As long as its not the leafs signing him for anything over 4 years im good

Reactions: On-the-Fly

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
i
People keep saying this, what Matthews will ask for Arizona probably cant afford even if he really does want to come home.
it's not people, its just a couple deranged angry dubas hating leaf fans that are going on about it... just in case it does happen, they can come back and flaunt how smart they were, but if if dosnt happen, will totally forget about saying about it and deny deny deny

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
Guys I didn't read hf boards after game 5 until this week I'm not sure how it was In here after game 7 but this is really depressing to see everyone so snappy. Back to the thread I hope this is over soon so we can just move on

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And now I'm telling you how dumb it is to compare cap percentages between an RFA contract and a UFA contract, like you just did here:

I know some people will say just about anything in order to defend Dubas' disastrous contracts but at the very least you could at least try to get the basic facts right and compare apples to apples.

Once again, read what I responded to, you are arguing a point I was not making.

I think Marner is overpaid by about 1.5-2 million (Tavares, Nylander, Matthews aren't). I think Dubas is a good GM and agree with most of his decision, but I don't agree with all of them, trying to put me on a "team" is just a childish way to invalidate an argument.

Dubas has done a good job navigating low-level contracts and not overpaying anyone outside of Marner. If he spends big on Hyman or tries to bring in someone similar on a long-term contract with a high AAV, I'd be disappointed in him just as I was that Marner got paid more than he should have.

I'd also rather a GM overpay RFAs than spend big on UFAs that are on the decline (not implying that Kane is that).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL Draft Blog Jack Eichel Zach Hyman - TSN.ca

Hyman is believed to be closing on a long-term extension with the Edmonton Oilers, which could be an eight-year deal if Edmonton can work out a sign-and-trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Thursday the Oilers are only looking to part with a sixth- or a seventh-round pick to complete that deal.

"Yeah, ongoing discussions primarily with the Edmonton Oilers although there are some who believe that the Toronto Maple Leafs aren’t officially out," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "But look, if the Oilers are going to have access to that eighth year, then it has to be a sign and trade and Kyle Dubas and Ken Holland are going to have to communicate on what the compensation is going to be. The Oilers aren’t going to feel comfortable paying a third- or a fourth-round pick, they look at a sixth- or a seventh-round pick as compensation. Otherwise, they’ll wait until the 28th. We know that Hyman spent at least a good part of Wednesday in Edmonton meeting with the brass and touring the city. So you might want to put a little bit of money on the Oilers. "

Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button explains why fans and experts shouldn't be so quick to criticize the reported deal Zach Hyman is reaching with the Oilers, and what contributions Hyman will have to make for the contract to be worth it.

Video: Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button explains why fans and experts shouldn't be so quick to criticize the reported deal Zach Hyman is reaching with the Oilers, and what contributions Hyman will have to make for the contract to be worth it.

Video: Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

What a joke and more tire pumping by Toronto media to pump up prices for Leafs UFAs...McDavid was already on pace for over 150 points (over a full season) last season without Hyman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is this entire thing just a massive charade to maximize the money and term that Hyman ultimately gets from Dubas?

It sure feels like Hyman and his agent Todd Reynolds are trying to push Leafs from around $4 mil (their current offer) up to $5 mil on an 8 year term.

If past precedence of Leafs GM dealing with crafty players agents is any indication of how this might all end, then you might very well be right.

Reactions: capfit9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad