Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Are there other examples of "sign and trade" deals in the NHL?

I don't seem to remember any.

That might shed light on what the going rate is in these situations. I don't think 6th round pick is enough considering the amount of cap space being saved by the Oilers.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Are there other examples of "sign and trade" deals in the NHL?

I don't seem to remember any.

That might shed light on what the going rate is in these situations. I don't think 6th round pick is enough considering the amount of cap space being saved by the Oilers.
The only one I can remember almost happening was Kreider but then he ended up re-signing with NY. Not sure what the rumoured prices were though.

If I was the Leafs I'd just sign Hyman to that 8 year deal today and then hold the asset until Edmonton or another team pays up. As much as the term and dollar value suck we can fit it under the cap for the time being.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Honestly man I know one of the big names has to go. Im not sure if it's the right move or if we should just stay the course and keep em all. in 3 years if Matthews leaves and we prob dont resign Tavares the year after. Marner might be the only one left that actually wants to be here.

His playoffs has not been impressive. he's still young be nice if he could strengthen up and prove himself next time over us making a dumb trade that we will regret in a year, be nice if he used the negativity from this loss as motivation.

I'm down for change. at this point I don't care what that change is I'm going in this year completely unbiased and just hoping for the best.
If we don't get this right we could go on a path like we were after 04. I'm not excited to get back to a 10 year window of not even making the playoffs again.

Patience is key. hopefully the right moves comes along and we put this mess behind us next playoffs if we make it atleast.
Unfortunately Marner came out and said that he wasn’t going to do anything different to prepare for next year. It can’t be much more clear that he has no interest in working any harder on his body or his game

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Unfortunately Marner came out and said that he wasn’t going to do anything different to prepare for next year. It can’t be much more clear that he has no interest in working any harder on his body or his game

End of season presser - he looked annoyed.
They gave that guy the A?
He should be interviewed as little as possible. He comes across as immature and entitled

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the NHL does follow through on a crosschecking crackdown, then Hyman might be the most valuable UFA out there.

I don't see how defencemen can stop him.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Excuse? No. But we also shouldn't act like Covid has impacted teams evenly either.
Agreed it affected the smart teams less then the dumb teams that hinges everything on the thought that the cap would go way up.
Look how badly COVID from a health standpoint hurt Vancouver, yet when they returned to play they thrashed our team. It was almost as embarrassing as being beat by a Zamboni driver in net for the other team

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
End of season presser - he looked annoyed.
They gave that guy the A?
He should be interviewed as little as possible. He comes across as immature and entitled
He was annoyed because he was in the public eye and it was not due to endorsement commitment…….and pay cheque

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed it affected the smart teams less then the dumb teams that hinges everything on the thought that the cap would go way up.
Look how badly COVID from a health standpoint hurt Vancouver, yet when they returned to play they thrashed our team. It was almost as embarrassing as being beat by a Zamboni driver in net for the other team

I don't think it's all a smart teams vs dumb teams argument at all. Pretty much every team hedges their bets on contracts based on a rising cap. There are few, if any, exceptions to this. A lot of the difference came down to where each team was at in terms of timing of core contracts

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Bryzgalov fetched a 3rd.
Hamhuis fetched a 3rd.
Yandle fetched a 4th + 6th.
Soderberg fetched a 6th.
Goodrow fetched a 7th.

Soderberg might be most comparable to Hyman out of that list, but that was just for signing rights, not for the 8th year on the contract with a measurable effect on AAV.

Based on that, I'd be asking for the Oilers' 2022 2nd/3rd, whichever one Chicago doesn't get as part of the Keith trade. Maybe throw in a conditional 2023 4th if it turns out to be the 2nd rounder.

I'd probably be happy with the Yandle return.

Just the 4th would be 'meh' and I'd be disappointed if Dubas can only get the 6th.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I sincerely hope there's no offer from Dubas on the table for Hyman anymore. Not if it's north of $4.5M or 5 years. I don't care about a 6th round pick.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well let's just hope someone talked to him afterwards and he changed that mindset. I forgot he said that. very disappointing. be nice if he could get stronger

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hyman is using the marner playbook to extract the contract he wants from dubas. It will probably work.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Hyman is using the marner playbook to extract the contract he wants from dubas. It will probably work.
So Hyman is going to wait it out until September as a UFA after the Leafs have filled out the roster and maxed out the cap, and demand the Leafs meet his demands? That should work out well for him.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Excuse? No. But we also shouldn't act like Covid has impacted teams evenly either.

Exactly... Contract that came up before Covid were signed high expecting cap to go up to 90-100 mil in 2-3 years...

Contracts that are up last year and this year and next with a flat cap are getting less money and term. Its a huge deal.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I dont see the need to haggle over a late round pick on a player you are losing the rights to in a few days. Just take the 6th, this isnt the type of deal you dig your heals in on.
The Leafs were very generous to the league and Zach Hyman, they let everyone talk to him weeks in advance of FA. They didn't have to do that. Usually if someone wants a player that is available on July 1st, they have to pay for the privilege and many don't end up signing. The Leafs already did both sides a solid. Now, Edmonton wants the Leafs to sign and trade to adjust the cap just right. Oh, but they'll only give up a 6th for walking them to the finish line. I think I would dig my heels in on this one. They used the Leafs, the Leafs should now be fairly compensated or they can deal with a higher AAV on a 7 year deal. The Leafs helped the Oilers and they want their help again. The first one was free, this time it'll cost ya.

Reactions: Racer88 and Bronxxx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad