Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
NHL Draft Blog Jack Eichel Zach Hyman - TSN.ca

Hyman is believed to be closing on a long-term extension with the Edmonton Oilers, which could be an eight-year deal if Edmonton can work out a sign-and-trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Thursday the Oilers are only looking to part with a sixth- or a seventh-round pick to complete that deal.

"Yeah, ongoing discussions primarily with the Edmonton Oilers although there are some who believe that the Toronto Maple Leafs aren’t officially out," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "But look, if the Oilers are going to have access to that eighth year, then it has to be a sign and trade and Kyle Dubas and Ken Holland are going to have to communicate on what the compensation is going to be. The Oilers aren’t going to feel comfortable paying a third- or a fourth-round pick, they look at a sixth- or a seventh-round pick as compensation. Otherwise, they’ll wait until the 28th. We know that Hyman spent at least a good part of Wednesday in Edmonton meeting with the brass and touring the city. So you might want to put a little bit of money on the Oilers. "

Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button explains why fans and experts shouldn't be so quick to criticize the reported deal Zach Hyman is reaching with the Oilers, and what contributions Hyman will have to make for the contract to be worth it.

Video: Button: McDavid could score 150 points with Hyman on his line

Yeah cuz McDavid couldn’t possibly score 150 without the amazing future hall of famer Wendal Clark.. err I mean Zach Hyman.

Reactions: Rocker13

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Friedman saying Edm offered a sixth rounder and we want more. I should hope so.

The oilers are acting like they're trading for the rights of a middling player to speak to them early. A 6th rounder would be ok for that. Nope, they're trying to create extra cap space. The cost for that should be way more.

Otherwise stick them with the higher cap hit. Make it harder for them to compete with us for free agents.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This explains why it hasn't happened yet. Sounds like the Oilers will just keep their pick, take their chance in free agency against other teams and go for the higher cap hit.

Reactions: Kurtz and Menzinger

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Another hold up might be Dubas insisting Toronto pay 90 percent of Hyman’s salary up front, in signing bonus. It’s how we roll.

I imagine any hold up in a sign/trade deal is because of exactly that reason.

Edmonton is obviously going to want it structured a very certain way.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Another hold up might be Dubas insisting Toronto pay 90 percent of Hyman’s salary up front, in signing bonus. It’s how we roll.

It would be interesting if Edmonton was willing to pay us more if we paid a large portion of actual cash in year 1.

I know you’re just trying to take shots at Dubas, but it wouldn’t be the worst idea if it got us a good return. Owners are hurting for cash, so you never know.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah cuz McDavid couldn’t possibly score 150 without the amazing future hall of famer Wendal Clark.. err I mean Zach Hyman.

You know the saying "If you can't beat them join them".. :)

Hyman left a lasting impression on Oilers brass when he shadowed McDavid during the 3 game set Feb 27th to Mar 3rd where he helped keep McDavid off the scoresheet.

Sat, Feb 27@ Edmonton . W4-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mon, Mar 1@ Edmonton . W3-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wed, Mar 3@ Edmonton . W6-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not many players/teams are able to do that to McDavid so it looks like Oilers would like to have Hyman with them and not play against him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It would be interesting if Edmonton was willing to pay us more if we paid a large portion of actual cash in year 1.

I know you’re just trying to take shots at Dubas, but it wouldn’t be the worst idea if it got us a good return. Owners are hurting for cash, so you never know.

While the Leafs have a lot of money, don't think they'll do this without a pretty big return. Losing a player AND money for just a mid round pick? They aren't dumb either.

I think the Leafs want a 3rd pick for the 8 year contract and trade thing at the minimum. If the Oilers don't, then they can have the higher cap hit and potentially fight other teams in free agency. Who cares about a 6th round pick to help a team out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This explains why it hasn't happened yet. Sounds like the Oilers will just keep their pick, take their chance in free agency against other teams and go for the higher cap hit.

Leafs gave Hyman permission to talk to other teams in advance of free agency so the Oilers aren't in any unique situation here where they have exclusivity as any other NHL team can approach Hyman about a contract prior to free agency.

Normally this is when a team would give compensation to talk ahead of free agency acquire the rights of a later round pick, but to get that team involved in a sign and trade to get another year to lower the AAV should come at a greater draft pick cost.

Nothing stopping another team right now from sniping the Oilers. The Oilers aren't really risking anything by waiting until free agency opens, only losing the potential of the 8th year as opposed to 7 at that point.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs gave Hyman permission to talk to other teams in advance of free agency so the Oilers aren't in any unique situation here where they have exclusivity as any other NHL team can approach Hyman about a contract prior to free agency.

Nothing stopping another team right now from sniping the Oilers. The Oilers aren't really risking anything by waiting until free agency opens, only losing the potential of the 8th year as opposed to 7 at that point.

They sure did. But things change fast, right? Whoever wasn't prepared to offer that now might be tempted to change their mind once free agency hits, right?

Apparently the Flames are/were up there with their offer. Maybe they offer a little more after seeing the market and whats available.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You know the saying "If you can't beat them join them".. :)

Hyman left a lasting impression on Oilers brass when he shadowed McDavid during the 3 game set Feb 27th to Mar 3rd where he helped keep McDavid off the scoresheet.

Sat, Feb 27@ Edmonton . W4-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mon, Mar 1@ Edmonton . W3-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wed, Mar 3@ Edmonton . W6-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not many players/teams are able to do that to McDavid so it looks like Oilers would like to have Hyman with them and not play against him.

McDavid attributed those games playing against Muzzin and Holl as the biggest factor there.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I mean if the option is a 6th round pick, or no 6th round pick for a person who no longer plays for our organization... I'd take the 6th.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean if the option is a 6th round pick, or no 6th round pick for a person who no longer plays for our organization... I'd take the 6th.
That's what Holland is banking on. It's really a case of who blinks first.
Personally, I would rather Dubas stick to his ask instead of blinking first. If it cost a 6th to strengthen his reputation around the league, that's a good trade off.

Reactions: deprw and HolyCrap

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
For goodness sake Dubas don't be the nice guy on this one. They might be in different conferences but these 2 teams are likely going to be pitted against each other in hockey discourse for years to come. Don't do them any favours.

Reactions: Kurtz

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
That's what Holland is banking on. It's really a case of who blinks first.
Personally, I would rather Dubas stick to his ask instead of blinking first. If it cost a 6th to strengthen his reputation around the league, that's a good trade off.

Oh yes of course. But if it comes to the 27th and the offer is still a 6th round pick, I still think you have to take that. Ultimately, it is better than nothing.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
That doesn't mean anything, we have so many immature fans it's ridiculous

How many bad trades has he made?
it's been like 3 years since he signed Tavares/Marner/Matthews/Nylander what other contracts were so bad that he signed?

You do realize you have to give up something to get something right?
Everyone thought his moves at the deadline were great for the team.
You can't get mad now for spending assets just because we lost in the playoffs, Given our position if we did nothing you would be bitching about that right now too.

Dubas can only do so much out there.
When will blame go on the players?

We had 3 chances to eliminate Montreal and we couldn't and That's Dubas fault?

What will it take to make Leafs fans happy? There's nothing....... right move/bad move someone is always crying.
We have the worst fan base on the face of the earth, Most of us are on par with flat earthers that's how stupid of a fan base we are.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont make the trade with Edmonton if all they are offering is a 6th rounder. They can pay him extra dollars per year and lose out on other free agents. At this point the 6th rounder is of no use to Toronto when they know they already lost Hyman anyhow. The 500-600k is more of an issue to Edmonton then us having to save face and getting a pick worth nothing back.

Im good with them paying him over 7 years unless they offer us a prospect we like, or 3rd/4th rounder. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad