Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I guess if you do 8 years, you're hoping to LTIR him at least in years 7 and 8. But who knows, remember when Marleau was supposed to be LTIR'd.

Id consider 8/33 (4.125 AAV), but would need an under the table agreement he would go on LTIR.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Even though his agent shamelessly sent out rumors that the leafs were interested. I bet when Ferris did this to Dubas with Marner and an offer sheet, Dubas dropped a year and added 1 million to his offer.

Dubas offered 11 x 7 with the intent of making up the Schedule B bonuses that Lou left out in his ELC, which would have amounted to a bit under 1 mill per year on the AAV. Marner, as we know, wanted Matthews money so he was probably in the 11.5 x 5 range. Dubas sacrificed a year. Marner sacrificed a year and 500k+.

IDK if Marner would have accepted 10 x 6 if it was not for the bonuses thing, as it cost the Leafs 1 mill on the AAV to make up for the bonuses. Perhaps he would have. Maybe he would have taken even less, like a 9.5 x 6 contract in line of where he should have been, because there is no bad blood. That is all speculation, but it certainly did not help that there was bad blood from Ferris stemming from those bonuses... Although Ferris is genuinely an asshole to everyone and has pulled the same tactics on numerous occasions with other clients before Marner's deal even without the bad blood.

Ferris does not really have a ton of leverage with Hall. Hall has made it known that he wants to play for a contender, which immediately cuts down a lot of the available dollars for him. He still received 6 mill on a long term deal as a 30 year old sniper who has not been himself since his injury, even though he was playing on some bad teams, and he is not exactly at an age where teams are feeling super comfortable taking the risk on him with a pricier contract than he is getting. I don't know the last time Ferris negotiated a great deal for his UFA clients (he can't use most of his BS tricks for them), but this is probably the best one he has negotiated in a while.

Reactions: stickty111

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
if the rumoured numbers are true, this is an atrocious deal for EDM. It will simply look better than it actually is if Hyman is going to be playing with McDavid for most of the time

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I have a hard time admitting it, but Hyman looked very very vanilla and pedestrian in the playoffs. Obviously he was hurt, nursing something - but I'd be lying if I didn't say THAT Hyman worries me on a long term deal.

His body holding up is a massive concern; and let's be honest - it won't. It's about getting the most over 2-3 years with him IMO...and is that worth trying to hide the contract in years 4 through 7 or 8?
If we win a cup....yes.

Reactions: Menzinger

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Trust me it's not just one person. Go see Twitter lmao.

Dubas did this to himself, he sucks as a newbie GM. He sucks at contract negotiations or closing trades, can't do either competently without handing out free picks.

Worse part is he bets on himself as if there'll be any consequences if he did.
That doesn't mean anything, we have so many immature fans it's ridiculous

How many bad trades has he made?
it's been like 3 years since he signed Tavares/Marner/Matthews/Nylander what other contracts were so bad that he signed?

You do realize you have to give up something to get something right?
Everyone thought his moves at the deadline were great for the team.
You can't get mad now for spending assets just because we lost in the playoffs, Given our position if we did nothing you would be bitching about that right now too.

Dubas can only do so much out there.
When will blame go on the players?

We had 3 chances to eliminate Montreal and we couldn't and That's Dubas fault?

What will it take to make Leafs fans happy? There's nothing....... right move/bad move someone is always crying.
We have the worst fan base on the face of the earth, Most of us are on par with flat earthers that's how stupid of a fan base we are.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Kyle fan club wash rinse and repeat If you tell yourself he’s doing a good job enough time you might believe it
I think most of us accepted what the team is.
Dubas isnt even that bad. his worst moves came years ago and due to covid we are paying the price.
What is he suppose to do? cap should have gone up by like 6m now.
So we should all kick and stomp our feet around like children?
It's not Dubas fault that covid screwed us throughout the duration of Matthews and possibly Marner + Tavares.
Just imagine how much better of a position we would be in if covid never happened and the cap would continue to rise.
last year Bettman already announced the cap would rise between 4-4.5m or something. the direction of the league was rising who knows what it would have gone up to after this season too.
However thanks covid still at 81.5m and we are screwed
so what should we do? call for Dubas head? WHY?

Reactions: meng666

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

it's been like 3 years since he signed Tavares/Marner/Matthews/Nylander what other contracts were so bad that he signed?

You can't get mad now for spending assets just because we lost in the playoffs, Given our position if we did nothing you would be bitching about that right now too.

What will it take to make Leafs fans happy? There's nothing....... right move/bad move someone is always crying.
We have the worst fan base on the face of the earth, Most of us are on par with flat earthers that's how stupid of a fan base we are.
People are blaming the players and Dubas is responsible for this roster. He's also unwilling to keep every avenue open to improve the team. He's like Babcock - won't adapt b/c he thinks he has the winning formula.
Stupid fan base? Thar is being ok with first round exits year after year and making excuses
In your world Dubas can't be at fault for anything

Reactions: Aus34Matt

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dubas isnt even that bad. his worst moves came years ago and due to covid we are paying the price.
It's not Dubas fault that covid screwed us throughout the duration of Matthews and possibly Marner + Tavares.
Just imagine how much better of a position we would be in if covid never happened and the cap would continue to rise.
last year Bettman already announced the cap would rise between 4-4.5m or something. the direction of the league we rising who knows what it would have gone up to after this season too.
Covid happened. Flat cap happened. So adapt or turn it over to someone who can

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
last year Bettman already announced the cap would rise between 4-4.5m or something. the direction of the league was rising who knows what it would have gone up to after this season too.
His biggest problem was a couple of years ago when he first started his comment was negotiations are tough I don’t wanna make it tough on my players that’s a good poker face what do you say So if you play poker you show them the cards before the bets are made? I wonder how much you would win He gets taken to the dry cleaners every time

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
People are blaming the players and Dubas is responsible for this roster. He's also unwilling to keep every avenue open to improve the team. He's like Babcock - won't adapt b/c he thinks he has the winning formula.
Stupid fan base? Thar is being ok with first round exits year after year and making excuses
In your world Dubas can't be at fault for anything
Im not talking about our 1st round exit problems. it's our reaction to the teams and players on a game by game basis
from hero to villain. This has been a problem for a long long time in our city.

yeah. covid really hurt our cap situation. Matthews/Tavares/Marner's % would lower as the cap went up every year. after 2 years now we should have been looking pretty decent but covid keeping us at 81.5m has done the complete opposite.

So how is that Dubas fault?

I'm not pro or anti on Dubas I'm not sitting here crying like majority of you guys are.
I put the blame on Matthews and Marner for not showing up. if they came to play we likely would have gotten through

Went up 3-1 against Montreal and lost..... So what do we do? call for Dubas head.... Whhhat are you kidding me here?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Im not talking about our 1st round exit problems. it's our reaction to the teams and players on a game by game basis
from hero to villain. This has been a problem for a long long time in our city.

yeah. covid really hurt our cap situation. Matthews/Tavares/Marner's % would lower as the cap went up every year. after 2 years now we should have been looking pretty decent but covid keeping us at 81.5m has done the complete opposite.

So how is that Dubas fault?

I'm not pro or anti on Dubas I'm not sitting here crying like majority of you guys are.
I put the blame on Matthews and Marner for not showing up. if they came to play we likely would have gotten through

Went up 3-1 against Montreal and lost..... So what do we do? call for Dubas head.... Whhhat are you kidding me here?
Again, he's the GM this is a results oriented business. Crying and whining? Geez I dunno I'd rather express disgust with this team and how it's constructed than make constant excuses like you. Covid happened, make adjustments, your core fails every year, make adjustments. Or dig your heels in and refuse to even consider this isn't working. Nothing is Dubas's fault - how convenient

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Covid happened. Flat cap happened. So adapt or turn it over to someone who can
What would you have done differently heading into last season?
Also keep in mind you have to assume you know nothing of what will happen moving forward

If we go back to the beginning of the season or after the Deadline were you upset? or were on you board?

We all thought this team was different and was good enough to atleast go on a run.
Now that we lost how is it Dubas fault and not the players?

Again you know nothing about how things would turn out.

Do we trade one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander before the season starts?
What do we do that was different?

before you even say Joe Thornton ill cover that, Yeah it didn't work out at all but if he's hardly the reason we lost

Also the offseason basically just started. why not see how our team looks before you throw in the adapt or turn it over to someone who can.

And okay let's fire Dubas. Who do we turn it over to? and will anything change? we are stuck in the flatcap and still screwed. Now what?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I have a hard time admitting it, but Hyman looked very very vanilla and pedestrian in the playoffs. Obviously he was hurt, nursing something - but I'd be lying if I didn't say THAT Hyman worries me on a long term deal.

His body holding up is a massive concern; and let's be honest - it won't. It's about getting the most over 2-3 years with him IMO...and is that worth trying to hide the contract in years 4 through 7 or 8?
If we win a cup....yes.

That's what I've been saying as well. Edler took out his already reconstructed knee. We have no idea what Hyman's long term prognosis is. That said, if there's anyone that would battle through a bum knee, it would be Zach Hyman. ./shrug it would be great if they could find a way to keep him but not at more than $4M/yr and not longer than 6 years. The chances of both of these going the team's way are nil so sorry Zach, I loved ya but it seems that destiny has taken a hand.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Winning will make us happy and yes it is Dubas’s fault for building a soft team that can’t get it done when the pressure is on.
It’s his job to make deals and contracts that make the team better and he has failed to do that .
This team is in way worse shape since he has taken over

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Again, he's the GM this is a results oriented business. Crying and whining? Geez I dunno I'd rather express disgust with this team and how it's constructed than make constant excuses like you. Covid happened, make adjustments, your core fails every year, make adjustments. Or dig your heels in and refuse to even consider this isn't working. Nothing is Dubas's fault - how convenient
Honestly man bitching about this is like going outside and yelling at the clouds.
Covid hurt the team. we should have had more cap but we didn't
So what should they have done?
Please explain.
I never said nothing is Dubas fault but he did he job and put together a good team for us. but our Stars failed us.
When will you put blame on the players? Dubas can't go out there and win the games.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What would you have done differently heading into last season?
Also keep in mind you have to assume you know nothing of what will happen moving forward

If we go back to the beginning of the season or after the Deadline were you upset? or were on you board?

We all thought this team was different and was good enough to atleast go on a run.
Now that we lost how is it Dubas fault and not the players?

Again you know nothing about how things would turn out.

Do we trade one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander before the season starts?
What do we do that was different?

before you even say Joe Thornton ill cover that, Yeah it didn't work out at all but if he's hardly the reason we lost

Also the offseason basically just started. why not see how our team looks before you throw in the adapt or turn it over to someone who can.

And okay let's fire Dubas. Who do we turn it over to? and will anything change? we are stuck in the flatcap and still screwed. Now what?
Wow fear of what might happen if we make changes. That's where we're at?
Why fire any GM the next guy could be worse.
Why trade any star player they might do well on another team.
The off season just started Dubas is sticking with this core come hell or high water which doesn't leave a lot of room for change. So pardon me for not hiding behind excuses and being paralysed by fear of change.
Dubas paid these guys - it hasn't worked for 5 years. Fix it. At the very least be open to talking about anyone on the roster like any competent GM should.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Honestly man bitching about this is like going outside and yelling at the clouds.
Please explain.
I never said nothing is Dubas fault but he did he job and put together a good team for us. but our Stars failed us.
When will you put blame on the players? Dubas can't go out there and win the games.
Apparently it isn't a good team though. And again players are being blamed
And this is a hockey forum not everyone is going to be passive

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Winning will make us happy and yes it is Dubas’s fault for building a soft team that can’t get it done when the pressure is on.
It’s his job to make deals and contracts that make the team better and he has failed to do that .
This team is in way worse shape since he has taken over
Ill agree he built a soft team but last year he went out and tried to fix that and filled alot of things we needed our depth + D and goaltending were great for us. Matthews/Marner disappeared in the playoffs.

We should have won. I don't put any blame for this team losing to Montreal on Dubas. even without Tavares that team was good enough to win and possibly even take out Winnipeg too. but they didn't f***ing care.
Doesn't matter what moves a GM makes if your core doesn't care to win.

Unfortunately now with flat cap unless we move one of our highest paid players this is how things will be moving forward the sooner you accept it the better off you will be.

Reactions: Racer88

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Please explain.
ADAPT!!! You have a different cap now so.msybe re- think your allocation given the results. Or continue down the same road - with all.of his NHL success he just knows he's right. Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad