Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m sure they’ll come to regret a 7-8 year deal, but for the first bunch of those years he’ll be dope. He’s a very good player, one of the hardest workers in the league, amazing motor, strong defensively, and he’s developed a solid offensive game over time.

He’s a quality top 6 winger, no doubt, sad to lose him, even if I wouldn’t want to pay him north of $5 mil for 7-8 years.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
I wonder had we won that 2015 lottery.

Best player in the league (soon to be) leaves money on the table and says I want to help my GM afford some depth to fill out a competitive team.

Who is going to follow that up with grabbing every last penny they can in their negotiations?

The top 6 or 7 guys forego 500K - 750K thats $4M. That's a top 6 F or a top 4 D. No instead we have a team whose stars demanded top dollar and then proceeded to prove they weren't worth it when it really counted.
To be fair you can’t ask ANYONE to take a discount after paying an outsider 11 million. I don’t care what other teams offered him, making JT the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL at the time set the wheels in motion

Reactions: egd27

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
To be fair you can’t ask ANYONE to take a discount after paying an outsider 11 million. I don’t care what other teams offered him, making JT the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL at the time set the wheels in motion

Nah that wasn't the problem, Tavares was one of the most sought after Free agents in history and teams were offering up to 13. Giving Marner a better contract than 3x champion Patrick Kane is what permanently destroyed the team's salary structure.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I’m sure they’ll come to regret a 7-8 year deal, but for the first bunch of those years he’ll be dope. He’s a very good player, one of the hardest workers in the league, amazing motor, strong defensively, and he’s developed a solid offensive game over time.

He’s a quality top 6 winger, no doubt, sad to lose him, even if I wouldn’t want to pay him north of $5 mil for 7-8 years.

The point is, you only need to win a Cup in one of those first several years, right? It becomes another GMs problem after, not Holland's...they at least have 5 more years with McDavid in his prime...they can't afford to waste more time...there is a logic to signing Hyman long term if they could get him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Sure you can, but none of them were going to use Tavares as a comparable anyways. Why would they use a guy who took a discount to come here as a comparable if they did not want to take a discount?

Nylander probably used guys in that Pastrnak range as a comparable.

Matthews probably just said pay me between Eichel and McDavid's cap % (over an 8 year term, he took less for less years obviously). Not really unreasonable since that is where he is as a player.

Marner just wanted to be Matthews and to get his full due after getting screwed in his ELC. That is where the wheels fell off a bit because realistically he should be in the 9.5 mill range for the term he got, but I think 1.5 mill overpaid is better than no Marner at all... We will see if that is still the case after this year. Marner has one more year to prove himself or he likely will not be on this team anymore. His NTC doesn't kick in yet and we probably move him to the highest bidder that can help us right now, and with Covid no longer being a problem, we will probably get much better offers than we would right now. I can't imagine the Leafs are going to find moving Nylander, Tavares, or Matthews palatable when they actually show up and perform on a regular basis (not that we have a choice with Tavares anyways). If you cause the problems, then you are the one who faces the consequences.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Sure you can, but none of them were going to use Tavares as a comparable anyways. Why would they use a guy who took a discount to come here as a comparable if they did not want to take a discount?

Matthews probably just said pay me between Eichel and McDavid's cap % (over an 8 year term, he took less for less years obviously). Not really unreasonable since that is where he is as a player.

Marner just wanted to be Matthews and to get his full due after getting screwed in his ELC. That is where the wheels fell off a bit because realistically he should be in the 9.5 mill range for the term he got, but I think 1.5 mill overpaid is better than no Marner at all... We will see if that is still the case after this year. Marner has one more year to prove himself or he likely will not be on this team anymore. His NTC doesn't kick in yet and we probably move him to the highest bidder that can help us right now, and with Covid no longer being a problem, we will probably get much better offers than we would right now. I can't imagine the Leafs are going to find moving Nylander, Tavares, or Matthews palatable when they actually show up and perform on a regular basis (not that we have a choice with Tavares anyways). If you cause the problems, then you are the one who faces the consequences.

As much as I don't like the Marner overpayment at least it's structured to be incredibly easy to move next off-season. Small market teams would go nuts for a 10.6 cap hit at 5 something million real money paid out, especially on a young productive player that can sell tickets.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

Translation: Not a single player left a penny on the table

Reactions: egd27 and Brown Dog

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The thing about players like Hyman is that they can fall off a cliff very suddenly. He's been a warrior and has been top 10 in hits taken in the league for awhile. Multiple knee injuries. Missed double digit games each of the last 3 seasons. A game built on speed and forechecking. He's the prototype for a guy that won't age well. And his drop off will probably happen a lot sooner than anyone expects.

He's like a running back we fed a ton of carries too while he's cheap and now we're letting some other team pay him to break down. Smart teams don't pay guys like that, they find the next Zach Hyman. For us, that's Joey Anderson imo.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Agreed, the salary scale was completly destroyed from that moment on

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Translation: Not a single player left a penny on the table

Welcome to the NHL. Guys want to get paid. Especially young guys. And they want to be paid for future production too. It's no different anywhere else.

Marner receives a ton of criticism because his camp went really public and sounded greedy, and Marner has yet to live up to his demands. He wanted to be paid like Matthews but has not come anywhere close to Matthews' level of play since (just like he never came close before the deal).

If Marner was playing as well as Matthews right now, then he likely receives a lot less criticism, much like Tavares/Matthews/Nylander (if there is any contract criticism regarded them, it is usually directed towards Dubas). That is because they have exceeded, or at least met, their contracts.

We also likely win multiple rounds and are flirting with winning a Cup rather than losing first rounds constantly. Marner has progressively performed worse in the playoffs since he put up 9 points in 7 games, and was actively a negative contributor this year to the point where it even affected Matthews' play. Hyman is no different, but nobody blames him because he is not a core player and the expectations are lower, which is fair. However it is not like he has been any help in the playoffs recently either.

Marner's criticism is completely warranted, but the idea that only Leafs' players want to get paid or won't leave money on the table is a myth. We just want our young guys to live up to or exceed their contracts like every other young high quality RFA who has wanted to get paid has done in the past and make it lead to results. That has not with Marner (yet) unfortunately.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Considering he was damaged goods by the time the playoffs rolled around in 2 of the last 3 seasons, that contract could be a problem as soon as the first year.

Loved his work ethic here, but I'm staying far away.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That’s why Boston will never overpay. You take less to be part of something or you get overpaid elsewhere. They just signed Hall for 4 x 6.0

Boston wisely did not overpay Hall, and there is definitely some surplus potential if he can regain some of his magic, but there is also a realistic possibility that he declines more than he recovers given his age and injury history. Much like the Carlo deal, I don't think this is a slam dunk for Boston, but it is tidy and should not come back to haunt them either. Much like the deals the Leafs have signed under Dubas...

Well as long as Dubas does not sign Hyman for what he is expected to get that is.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tampa board were talking about the sadness of losing Gourde to Seattle. How he had a motor that never stops, always smiling and trash talking on the ice. It reminded me of how we feel about Hyman... except Hyman doesn't trash talk. Anyways they have similar stats.... except Gourde contract ends in 4 years when he's 33. Hymans would end when he's 37! Tampa wins again.

Leafs need to start positioning themselves better.... player and cap management is atrocious. We have beat this to death... I know (matthews for 5 years, marner for 6 etc). Hyman should've been given an altimadum... sign before long before the deadline or be moved. We should have replaced him with an asset. I'm willing to bet Bertuzzi could have been had at the time with a conditional attached in case Hyman didn't re-sign.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Boston wisely did not overpay Hall, and there is definitely some surplus potential if he can regain some of his magic, but there is also a realistic possibility that he declines more than he recovers given his age and injury history. Much like the Carlo deal, I don't think this is a slam dunk for Boston, but it is tidy and should not come back to haunt them either. Much like the deals the Leafs have signed under Dubas...

Well as long as Dubas does not sign Hyman for what he is expected to get that is.
Even though his agent shamelessly sent out rumors that the leafs were interested. I bet when Ferris did this to Dubas with Marner and an offer sheet, Dubas dropped a year and added 1 million to his offer.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011

I'm not convinced. I think even within two years his game will drop off the side of a cliff.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
My God reading these forums is unbearable right now. The circle jerk Dubas hating crew are soooo loud and annoying. I'm almost convinced it's the same person posting on different accounts.

There isn't even discussion on these boards anymore. It's just Dubas hating.

You couldn’t have said it better. The new culture on Hfboards is to hate only. Back in the day you could have discussions and argue without the BS. Mouthy keyboard warriors everywhere.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Am I the only one on here who thinks Hyman is incredibly overrated?

He's a replacement level player who works hard. At 2.25M, I can see the appeal, he can kill penalties and tap in some goals. But at 5M+? Get the **** out of here. At that pay grade I want some talent, not some stone handed player.

Did you not see how Montreal was playing us in the playoffs? Double team Matthews, force Marner to shoot, or let Hyman do whatever the hell he wants cause that stone handed AHLer won't be able to beat us.

He can take his 1 tap in on a rebound in 7 games to Edmonton. The best part of if he signs in Edmonton is I guarantee within 2 years (if not next year), they'll be shocked Matthews/Marner/Tavares were able to carry this AHLer to 40 points.

The only part of his game I will miss is his PKing, but he must have set the Leafs record for most useless breakaways without a goal. He can't score unless it's a tap in off a rebound or an open net pass. Tons of players can do that for a lot less.

I'd take Galchenyuk over him. Galchenyuk at least has talent. This guy's a plug who worked hard and got carried by two superstars his whole career. Any other team and he wouldn't be in the NHL right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad