Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Franzen, Mike Green, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg all signed to longer than they should have deals
Helm, Kronwall...a disaster.

yeah shitty they changed the rules and contract lengths just as we got to the point of being able to do them.

but 5 years of a mistake is easier to deal with then 14 years

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Would have loved to see him stay in TO , however Management have invested all their money with the prima donnas ... Hard to build a team in a ME first culture .... Best of Luck to Hyman he battled EVERY game for this club.
Man you are so right, perfect way to explain it too.
Hyman deserves it all the luck in the world to him but man. I dont wanna see him on another team.
but no thanks to this contract

Reactions: forecheck

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs at crossroads as Zach Hyman nears exit - Sportsnet.ca

The Leafs are believed to have extended the pending unrestricted free agent a max term eight-year offer carrying an annual value a little over $4 million. But that’s still almost a million less per season than Hyman is being offered by the Edmonton Oilers, assuming a sign-and-trade with Toronto can be worked out to facilitate an eight-year deal.

Should that fall through, a seven-year contract in Edmonton carrying Hyman’s signature is expected to land in the neighbourhood of $5.5 million annually.

That’s why Dubas recently granted Hyman’s agent, Todd Reynolds, the freedom to speak to other teams before free agency officially opens on July 28. It could potentially land the Leafs an asset should a sign-and-trade scenario emerge, but it also allows both sides to start properly planning for an amicable end to their union.

As of early Thursday afternoon, Dubas said that he hadn’t heard from Reynolds about needing to negotiate anything with the Oilers. Hyman travelled to Edmonton on Wednesday to tour the team’s facilities -- even requesting to work out in the gym, a testament to his don’t-miss-a-day approach -- and all signs pointed to the Oilers emerging as the leading candidate for his services.

Toronto is willing to facilitate a sign-and-trade before the deadline to do so expires at 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

“We’re open to anything that can help to make our team better,” said Dubas. “If there’s fair value to be had there then we’ll certainly explore it.”

Ideally, he’d be calling a press conference instead to announce a new contract for the 29-year-old winger. That would almost certainly be the outcome if the NHL wasn’t governed by a hard cap system that requires tough decisions by teams carrying an outsized amount of established talent.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Dubas also coming on Overdrive at 5 where they plan to ask him about the Hyman situation and the thinking/logistics behind the McCann trade.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Are you seriously putting Hyman and Marner in the same group? At least try to make a reasonable argument.
No. I'm saying we lost our depth because of the Marner contract and are continuing to do so. He really is not worth that money to me, I'm not even trying to be a jerk. I'm just really fed up with this team + management. To me, guys like Rielly, Hyman and previously Kadri are players you keep long-term.

I see no possibility of winning with Marner making 11M on our team with 11M also going to Matthews/Tavares. There is no chance.

The contract sucked the day it was signed. The only chance we got is to move him or pray the cap goes up by a significant amount after this year's first round exit.

Overdrive guys asking if Toronto would match the 38.5 million being offered by Edmonton, but stretch it over 8 years, which is still roughly 4.8/per.

That's still a hard no from me. Anything north of 4 per and/or 5 years. I'm out.

I'd do it. Maybe try to get it lower by playing the local kid card.

Then try to move Kerfoot's 3.5 caphit, Hyman is a lot better at like 750k more (than kerf) lets be real.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Overdrive guys asking if Toronto would match the 38.5 million being offered by Edmonton, but stretch it over 8 years, which is still roughly 4.8/per.

That's still a hard no from me. Anything north of 4 per and/or 5 years. I'm out.

The amount of people walking around just looking for a rake to step on is amazing to me

I love the guy and how much heart he plays with but let him go

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Hyman will be productive and then he'll LTIR.

He's knee MRI already looks LTIR.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hyman will rack up points by default playing with McDavid.

The issue is that he's going to decline rapidly within the next few years. The AAV might be palatable short term, but 7-8 years is insane.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hyman will rack up points by default playing with McDavid.

The issue is that he's going to decline rapidly within the next few years. The AAV might be palatable short term, but 7-8 years is insane.
Like the Tavares contract, you worry about that at the time (unless it handcuffs everything else you want to do)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hyman will be productive and then he'll LTIR.

He's knee MRI already looks LTIR.
Oilers having $10M in LTIR for multiple years is not good.

The only way if benefits teams is if you are either:

A) expecting those players back for playoffs where the cap no longer matters.

or

B) you are under the cap to start the year before placing the players on LTIR (accruing space for the deadline). Can also be done to gain space for an RFA holdout.

If you're at over the cap to start the year before placing the players in LTIR you cannot accrue money towards the deadline and you do not gain cap space for another player.

Mancunian

Dec 6, 2008
If Dubas re-signs Hyman, we're screwed. :( We'll need to fire Dubas next offseason when we don't make the playoffs or flame out in the first round again. We don't need to have an albatross contract anywhere near the rumoured deals offered by Edmonton when Dubas is gone.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
No. I'm saying we lost our depth because of the Marner contract and are continuing to do so. He really is not worth that money to me, I'm not even trying to be a jerk. I'm just really fed up with this team + management. To me, guys like Rielly, Hyman and previously Kadri are players you keep long-term.

I see no possibility of winning with Marner making 11M on our team with 11M also going to Matthews/Tavares. There is no chance.

The contract sucked the day it was signed. The only chance we got is to move him or pray the cap goes up by a significant amount after this year's first round exi

I'd do it. Maybe try to get it lower by playing the local kid card.

Then try to move Kerfoot's 3.5 caphit, Hyman is a lot better at like 750k more (than kerf) lets be real.
except you keep harping on the last of the 4 bad contracts like he should be expected to not take as big a chunk as the other 3 bad deals , JT is a horrendous deal and exactly what guys are pointing to Detroit about , then caving in to Melander who isn't even Hymen on the ice when it is all said and done , then overpaying Mathews on his RFA year , come on of course Marner is standing in the same slop line holding his tray out for just as big a scoop . Blame the guy ladling the soup not the guys in line .

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I would recommend watching him play more often. Night and day. Even his look on the bench, you can see intensity in his eyes. Don't see that from Matthews especially.

He still couldn't get it done in the playoffs. They got swept and he didn't play like worlds best player should in the playoffs. We have demanded results. McDavid got even worse if you compare him to our stars.

I can say that Marner is also trying, but that isn't good enough for him, why is it good enough for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad