Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
No, it can’t be done reliably because you described two flat cap acquisitions in the middle of a pandemic to make your point. The fact that Edmonton is going to snipe Hyman at an astronomical overpay tells you these types of players carry value beyond their pure production. Ditto Goodrow. See what happens with Coleman.

We can’t just keep drafting deke and dangle players with every draft position. One there’s no roster spot for all of them to graduate. Second, a skill player who doesn’t make an NHL impact like a Bracco, Dzierkals, Timashov or Petan doesn’t have a ton of trade value.
I don’t think we have enough picks to even be worried about this years draft

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Surprised Holland is the GM making these type of moves. You would think a GM with his record and experience would be smarter then that. Oh well. Best wishes to him and Zach

Take a look at the contracts he signed at the end of his tenure in Detroit. Frans Neilson, Danny Dekaser and Stephen Weiss come to mind immediately but I know I am missing another one or two.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Did montreal overpay for Anderson or Gallagher? they got 6 points in 22 playoff games. Tied Kerfoot and one ahead of Spezza.
Did the Montreal GM sign Price to a good contract? They could not give it away.
Montreal is heading for a day of reckoning. They finished 18th and made the playoffs. They are not good and neither is their GM.
And yet they sent our team golfing ………hmmmmm

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Take a look at the contracts he signed at the end of his tenure in Detroit. Frans Neilson, Danny Dekaser and Stephen Weiss come to mind immediately but I know I am missing another one or two.
Franzen

Who played 2 games over the last 5 years of that contract.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm OK with this... ultimately I think it always begins with leadership. If your leaders are willing to take a little less because they want to be competitive, than then maybe Hyman signs early and at a reasonable rate. Our "leaders".. or the ones who want to be the leaders (looking at you Mitch) made it clear they wanted every drop and made a circus of it. If I'm Hyman there is absolutely no way I'm taking any sort of hometown discount... because ultimately my discount just went into Mitch Marners account or Nylanders who both received 1 to 1.5 million per year more than their market value at the time.

This is great for Hyman.... gets his pay day and looks like he will be getting even better linemates.

Happy for Hyman.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Probably something in the water supply.

I think the deal is that not many players want to go to Edmonton, so sometimes they have to take what they can get out there.

if we end up with any asset back for Zach, and he moved out of the division, and we didn't make an 8 year commitment there, we did well.

Reactions: Mancunian

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well you are entitled to that opinion, and I am in no way suggesting I am smarter than you or anyone else. I would say, that every player has his own Strengths, weaknesses, and "baggage" so to speak. It is a combination of position, ability, age, contract... there is alot that needs to be considered on any player. For Seattle it's not just about "pick the best 31 players out there", it has to make sense either for their team as a player, or an asset that would desirable in the market and hard to replace. Holl would be a desirable asset for most any team. Not great, likely overcast in the top 4, but a very good bottom pairing at a good price. I would say that's harder to replace than middle-tier wingers/fringe centres. I like Kerfoot I do, think he's a useful guy.

here's a question... honest one because I don't know the answer.

Would you get more in a trade for Kerfoot or Holl? I think it's Holl, maybe I'm out of whack.

You're being too polite :).

Management felt that Holl would be taken if we went 7-3-1, so they went 4-4 to protect him. Simple as that.

Dubas at the presser today explained it - they felt that it'd be easier to replace a $3m middle-six winger than a $2m #4 dman.

Makes sense to me. No need to overthink.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hyman will be providing 55-60 points next year? Why do you think it's a bad deal this year?

He will be a top line player next season and should be worth 5M or so for the first half of his deal.

I'm glad we didn't give him 5x8 but a 5x4 while playing with the best player in the world would have been a great deal

The contract stinks mostly due to term. Oilers would have been better off giving 7M x 4 than 6 x 8

when has hyman ever put up 50 point? You are assuming he plays with McDavid you can’t say it’s a good deal because he gets 55-60 points he’s never done that in his career. McDavid is obviously best player in the league but it doesn’t mean hyman is automatic 55-60 points

Reactions: binop7

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Kerfoot got picked up by Seattle how close do you think Dubas would have flirted with an offer to Hyman?

Dubas today.

Dubas and the Maple Leafs previously gave Reynolds permission to speak with other NHL clubs to investigate trading his rights as the two sides have been unable to reach a deal.

"It was our intention going in to retain Zach's services. We have certain limits we can go to, and we have tried to extend ourselves the best we can," Dubas said Thursday. At this time, I have not heard from Todd [Reynolds] on today's news [of the Oilers closing on a deal with Hyman]."

"We’re open to anything that can help to make our team better, so if there’s fair value to be had there we’ll certainly explore it,"

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
when has hyman ever put up 50 point? You are assuming he plays with McDavid you can’t say it’s a good deal because he gets 55-60 points he’s never done that in his career. McDavid is obviously best player in the league but it doesn’t mean hyman is automatic 55-60 points
Hyman was good for 55-60 points with AM34 and MM16 these past two years the only reason he didn't get that is due to injuries and COVID

A healthy Hyman in 82 games with 97 should be putting those totals up quite easily. Maroon put up 45ish point with McDavid when he wasn't as dominant as he is now. Hyman is a better, faster and more skilled player than Maroon. They should have chemistry and Hyman should be producing at that rate

Reactions: Kurtz

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Screw Edmonton.

Hard for me to decide what is going to hurt them more. Having an 8th year on that deal, or keep it at 7 but paying an extra 400k aav

Not like we're getting a first round pick or anything.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dubas today.

Dubas and the Maple Leafs previously gave Reynolds permission to speak with other NHL clubs to investigate trading his rights as the two sides have been unable to reach a deal.

"It was our intention going in to retain Zach's services. We have certain limits we can go to, and we have tried to extend ourselves the best we can," Dubas said Thursday. At this time, I have not heard from Todd [Reynolds] on today's news [of the Oilers closing on a deal with Hyman]."

"We’re open to anything that can help to make our team better, so if there’s fair value to be had there we’ll certainly explore it,"

Zach was in his own small way trying to help out .. lets see here .. $16M over 4 years from Leafs VS $38.5M over 7 years from Oilers????????????? .. who among us would take Leafs offer??????????? .. only an idiot .. but his agent has got other interested parties and nut went up to $40M .. so now Oilers want to utilize 8 year deal from Leafs to lower AAV so we are getting a pick .. thanks for helping out Zach .. only issue left is it a 3rd? or is it a 7th? .. we will see how good Dubie is

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I saw Mason Marchment was protected by Florida in the expansion draft. Not sure if they didn’t have enough forwards to protect and just threw him in there but it does annoy me to see that. Completely unnecessary L.

Moore protected by LA how many more that the LEAFS GAVE AWAY were protected by their teams

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Thats great. I will take a 3rd rounder and Klefbom in deal.

Place Klefbom on LTIR and is a safety net for Reilly walking next season or if he gets better by end of season we can trade Reilly before deadline for controllable assets. Either way we should be aiming for that package.

If that is turned down. I will take Kassian and 4th rounder. Place Kassian with Matthews/Nylander.
Again, there is zero chance of taking Klefbom for any reason, unless they plan on throwing the whole season down the toilet and rebuilding. It adds $4.17 million to the cap, you don't get to use the player, you lose all flexibility at the trade deadline, and there is a very good chance he doesn't play again.

This needs to die. Just because writers are stupid doesn't mean we need to follow their lead.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I have such a hard time believing Hyman is going to leave Toronto. Maybe this is all negotiating tactics and the Leafs called their bluff. Still wouldn’t be shocked to see him resign.
Imagine the Edmonton tears? Larsson was rumored to have an imminent deal of just over 3 million about to sign...then Seattle swooped in and signed him. Then the same happens to Hyman?

I bet after that happened Holland really upped the anti with Hyman.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Moore protected by LA how many more that the LEAFS GAVE AWAY were protected by their teams
Gave away.....for Campbell, who was protected too?

homey.gif

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Yes, that is exactly what this is saying.

Our school systems have obviously went all to hell.

The shit negotiator got through the expansion draft by only losing Hallander. Total shit negotiator. He didn't overpay for a side deal with Seattle like a good negotiator would have.

I dont think anyone can defend him when it comes to negotiation lol. He's been pretty bad.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
If Hyman takes $4M it could work. Sign Foligno to $3M. Trade Kerfoot. Sign Granlund $3M. Sign goalie for $2M.

Foligno Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Mikyahev Granlund Hyman
Engvall Spezza Simmonds

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
McDavid is smarter than Matthews and Marner on the ice. And obviously works much harder.

And still he couldn't draw any penalties in two consecutive playoffs. It sounds like he is lazy and perimeter player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad