Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
<wonder if we get that klefbomb deal. That would make us even richer, and stronger. :clap:

Also, wonder what thugs we gon get tonight. Or day.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Neither was Matthews and Marner. They make $22M and Hyman made just over $2M. But in your mind Hyman was the issue?

You may try rereading as I never insinuated he was 'the problem' and even referenced the rest of the team not being much better. It doesn't negate the point I made about not finding it hard to envision the team having more success without him. Even just a return from Tavares and minor improvements from Matthews/Marner would easily see us win that series despite a net negative Hyman. I don't imagine we'll ever see such minimal contribution in a PO series from that trio again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tell that to the Montreal Canadiens that signed Toffoli below market value and Perry on vet minimum contract. That traded for Edmundson for a bucket of pucks. All players not home grown but signed/traded for to complement a skilled small team. They didnt overpay for any of them, and they were all key contributors for them ousting our Toronto Maple Leafs and ultimately getting to the Finals.

It can be done with a smart GM. Enough said.

No, it can’t be done reliably because you described two flat cap acquisitions in the middle of a pandemic to make your point. The fact that Edmonton is going to snipe Hyman at an astronomical overpay tells you these types of players carry value beyond their pure production. Ditto Goodrow. See what happens with Coleman.

We can’t just keep drafting deke and dangle players with every draft position. One there’s no roster spot for all of them to graduate. Second, a skill player who doesn’t make an NHL impact like a Bracco, Dzierkals, Timashov or Petan doesn’t have a ton of trade value.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The galaxy braining needs to stop when it comes to these skill vs whatever debates. It takes many different types to build a good team and we clearly need an evaluation process that takes that diversity into consideration. The governing principle here is that you’ll never get a cheaper player than a homegrown drafted prospect. Otherwise we are stuck over paying for Hyman on the UFA market. We have the dekes and dangles. We just need the other ingredients.
Here here .. most of these guys who talk draft skill skill skill never played anything but video games .. you need some guys who have top end speed, you need some guys who can forecheck, hit and shoot, you need some big guys who understand skills of defense, etc .. a team full of Mitch's ain't winning 1 game .. this is Dubie's 1 major glaring and obvious fault .. he does not have 2 guys in minors developing to take over for Zach, 2 guys who can take over for Muzzy and Freddy, etc .. sure you take best available guys but you also need to have a system with diversity and strong backup development .. we have way too many guys who can fill in for Willy and Mitch .. and getting these types in UFA is way way too expensive .. it is da fundamental error which will bring down this org in spring

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Here is the thing with Hyman. He is great on the forecheck and his job was to retrieve pucks to get it to 16 so he can work his magic and set up 34. In Edm that only works if he is playing with McJesus and Drai. He won't be able to retrieve the pucks and then get creative with it to set up McJesus. His puck skills are not that great but he is good at getting on the forecheck.

I think Galchenyuk could be just as tenacious on the forecheck but he has better hands and shot. He could light it up with Matthews and Marner. He might not be as good in his own zone yet but they can work on it. You can probably get him for a shorter term and fewer dollars than Hyman
I agree on the first part, not sure about Galch, but I do think there's unlocked potential there. But I see where complaints about him have come about in respect of his consistency of effort. I'm coming around to the fact we kept Kerfoot over McCann for that reason alone (effort level). But I do think Galch has a bit of bite in him similar to Hyman, so I would absolutely be all for bringing him back on a show-me 1/2 yr deal around 1m.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I saw Mason Marchment was protected by Florida in the expansion draft. Not sure if they didn’t have enough forwards to protect and just threw him in there but it does annoy me to see that. Completely unnecessary L.

Marchment in the playoffs was playing wing with Barkov in Florida's top 6 against TB.

He scored 2 goals in the 1st round series in 5 games against Vas the playoff Conn Smythe winner, which is the same as Leafs entire 1st line with Hyman -- Matthews and Marner did in 7 games.

His protection was no accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
They protected Holl in expansion. That wasn't necessary.
Well you are entitled to that opinion, and I am in no way suggesting I am smarter than you or anyone else. I would say, that every player has his own Strengths, weaknesses, and "baggage" so to speak. It is a combination of position, ability, age, contract... there is alot that needs to be considered on any player. For Seattle it's not just about "pick the best 31 players out there", it has to make sense either for their team as a player, or an asset that would desirable in the market and hard to replace. Holl would be a desirable asset for most any team. Not great, likely overcast in the top 4, but a very good bottom pairing at a good price. I would say that's harder to replace than middle-tier wingers/fringe centres. I like Kerfoot I do, think he's a useful guy.

here's a question... honest one because I don't know the answer.

Would you get more in a trade for Kerfoot or Holl? I think it's Holl, maybe I'm out of whack.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Tell that to the Montreal Canadiens that signed Toffoli below market value and Perry on vet minimum contract. That traded for Edmundson for a bucket of pucks. All players not home grown but signed/traded for to complement a skilled small team. They didnt overpay for any of them, and they were all key contributors for them ousting our Toronto Maple Leafs and ultimately getting to the Finals.

It can be done with a smart GM. Enough said.

Did montreal overpay for Anderson or Gallagher? they got 6 points in 22 playoff games. Tied Kerfoot and one ahead of Spezza.
Did the Montreal GM sign Price to a good contract? They could not give it away.
Montreal is heading for a day of reckoning. They finished 18th and made the playoffs. They are not good and neither is their GM.

Reactions: Auston 316

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here here .. most of these guys who talk draft skill skill skill never played anything but video games .. you need some guys who have top end speed, you need some guys who can forecheck, hit and shoot, you need some big guys who understand skills of defense, etc .. a team full of Mitch's ain't winning 1 game .. this is Dubie's 1 major glaring and obvious fault .. he does not have 2 guys in minors developing to take over for Zach, 2 guys who can take over for Muzzy and Freddy, etc .. sure you take best available guys but you also need to have a system with diversity and strong backup development .. we have way too many guys who can fill in for Willy and Mitch .. and getting these types in UFA is way way too expensive .. it is da fundamental error which will bring down this org in spring

Build a great draft and develop program like you’re a budget team with big market resources. Always have an eye for the future. Have a farm system pumping out viable replacement pieces for various roster positions so we can be aggressive letting people like Hyman go. Don’t go all in every year. Don’t overpay to make a trade happen. I’m not describing something insane or revolutionary. Just build it with a method and have redundancy.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marchment in the playoffs was playing wing with Barkov in Florida's top 6 against TB.

He scored 2 goals in the 1st round series in 5 games against Vas the playoff Conn Smythe winner, which is the same as Leafs entire 1st line with Hyman -- Matthews and Marner did in 7 games.

His protection was no accident.

Oh I know…

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Well you are entitled to that opinion, and I am in no way suggesting I am smarter than you or anyone else. I would say, that every player has his own Strengths, weaknesses, and "baggage" so to speak. It is a combination of position, ability, age, contract... there is alot that needs to be considered on any player. For Seattle it's not just about "pick the best 31 players out there", it has to make sense either for their team as a player, or an asset that would desirable in the market and hard to replace. Holl would be a desirable asset for most any team. Not great, likely overcast in the top 4, but a very good bottom pairing at a good price. I would say that's harder to replace than middle-tier wingers/fringe centres. I like Kerfoot I do, think he's a useful guy.

here's a question... honest one because I don't know the answer.

Would you get more in a trade for Kerfoot or Holl? I think it's Holl, maybe I'm out of whack.

Bottom pairing D men are not difficult to replace. See Bogosian last season.

Lack of scoring depth has been a problem on the team which is why the disappearance of the first line in the playoffs was so problematic.

Protecting a bottom pairing D man in Holl and the "core 4" at the expense of the rest of the team is poor asset management.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He uses weasel words now .. he said he has not spoken with agent or Oilers yet regarding Zach .. then he says nothing has gone on TODAY and he has not heard anything .. this is a guy who you should never trust .. it was extremely well known to almost all hockey people that Zach was going to Oilers a month ago for 5.5M for 7 years .. and Dubie never heard a thing .. OMG he is full of sh*t .. and many of us have heard that 2 other teams have bid up Oilers recently (not much more but some) .. he is way too political for my liking .. either reply NO COMMENT or TELL TRUTH .. these half lies and then making them conditional is for LOSERS

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
He uses weasel words now .. he said he has not spoken with agent or Oilers yet regarding Zach .. then he says nothing has gone on TODAY and he has not heard anything .. this is a guy who you should never trust .. it was extremely well known to almost all hockey people that Zach was going to Oilers a month ago for 5.5M for 7 years .. and Dubie never heard a thing .. OMG he is full of sh*t .. and many of us have heard that 2 other teams have bid up Oilers recently (not much more but some) .. he is way too political for my liking .. either reply NO COMMENT or TELL TRUTH .. these half lies and then making them conditional is for LOSERS

Put your glasses on and give the agent a call, you Dumbas.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
No, it can’t be done reliably because you described two flat cap acquisitions in the middle of a pandemic to make your point. The fact that Edmonton is going to snipe Hyman at an astronomical overpay tells you these types of players carry value beyond their pure production. Ditto Goodrow. See what happens with Coleman.

The message I"m getting from all this is that the NHL better sit down and seriously rethink their current cap setup, because it seems like closing the cap loopholes combined with the cap floor has SERIOUSLY thrown salary expectations for middle-6 forwards right out of wack. I don't remember third liners getting 5-6 million in the pre-cap era, and wasn't one of the points of the salary cap to rein in out of control spending? But one of the clear side-effects of the current setup is that teams with no talented players are paying their mid guys more to make it to the salary floor, bloating contracts for middle-6 forwards totally out of wack...

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Let's see what Coleman signs for. Anything...ANYTHING, north of Coleman should make Leafs fans exhale in relief.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Build a great draft and develop program like you’re a budget team with big market resources. Always have an eye for the future. Have a farm system pumping out viable replacement pieces for various roster positions so we can be aggressive letting people like Hyman go. Don’t go all in every year. Don’t overpay to make a trade happen. I’m not describing something insane or revolutionary. Just build it with a method and have redundancy.
Dubie is like a tire fire guy .. draft skill and then let UFAs walk thinking he is winning every year .. there is ZERO long term plan here ZERO

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman will be to McDavid what Chris Kunitz was to Crosby. A reliable veteran player, extremely hard worker, willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and bang in rebounds. The last 3-4 years of his contract will probably suck, but the first 4 will be awesome.

McDavid will have north of 100 points each year he's healthy (70+ games) and I don't think Hyman will have fewer than 55-60 points over the next 4 years, assuming he plays with McDavid and / or Draisaitl and stays healthy.

They slightly overpaid because free agents almost never go to Edmonton, but make no mistake, they made their team better with this move. They desperately needed another top 6 caliber winger with some size and sand paper. 4.75 is probably what Hyman has earned. Overpaying by 500k to get a guy as highly regarded to Edmonton, where nobody wants to go, is not terrible at all.

McDavid is going to love his new linemate.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Lol, so angry about literally nothing.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I agree on the first part, not sure about Galch, but I do think there's unlocked potential there. But I see where complaints about him have come about in respect of his consistency of effort. I'm coming around to the fact we kept Kerfoot over McCann for that reason alone (effort level). But I do think Galch has a bit of bite in him similar to Hyman, so I would absolutely be all for bringing him back on a show-me 1/2 yr deal around 1m.

Bang on. You don't go long-term on Galch. You do 2 years and make him earn his contracts and then after 2 years he is a different player then you look at a longer-term.

Now if Hyman does go you need to find a 3C that can PK cause all you have left is Marner, Mik and Kerfoot

Reactions: ForzaZuffa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad