Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
you would be one of the loudest voice decrying Hyman at 8 years $5M if dubas signed that this off season, and rightfully so its a horrendous deal. Not eventually pretty much today
Hyman will be providing 55-60 points next year? Why do you think it's a bad deal this year?

He will be a top line player next season and should be worth 5M or so for the first half of his deal.

I'm glad we didn't give him 5x8 but a 5x4 while playing with the best player in the world would have been a great deal

The contract stinks mostly due to term. Oilers would have been better off giving 7M x 4 than 6 x 8

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Well, it doesn’t help that the Leafs haven’t drafted too many players who would fit the “Hyman”, “Muzzin” profile under Dubas either so expect those shortages to magnify over time.

Those type of players like Muzzin and Hyman dont need to be drafted to build what we need. Its dealing to fill those gaps and realizing the gaps. Signing the right players in FA.

I am ok with drafting skilled players as this is the way the NHL is going. But the element of role players has to be mixed in. Drafting these players makes no sense in my eyes. Focus on skill in draft. Fill holes of grit and size within FA and trades. Skill carries more value then the other elements if draft choices pan out.

Reactions: budzz

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Here is the thing with Hyman. He is great on the forecheck and his job was to retrieve pucks to get it to 16 so he can work his magic and set up 34. In Edm that only works if he is playing with McJesus and Drai. He won't be able to retrieve the pucks and then get creative with it to set up McJesus. His puck skills are not that great but he is good at getting on the forecheck.

I think Galchenyuk could be just as tenacious on the forecheck but he has better hands and shot. He could light it up with Matthews and Marner. He might not be as good in his own zone yet but they can work on it. You can probably get him for a shorter term and fewer dollars than Hyman

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
The salary cap has left us with no plan. Honestly, covid creating a flat cap destroyed us.

did it really? i figure even 4-5 millions more to spend wouldn't release us from cap hell. they would just get us a freddy-caliber goalie, and we'd still need to fill up important roster spots with league minimum players. you can't spend 50% of your salary on four players who didn't even win a playoff round yet, that's what destroyed us.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We don’t draft Hyman, Muzzin, Clifford, Simmonds, Holl types either. So when people talk about best player available on draft day and don’t worry about types. That’s true but only goes so far if there’s zero advanced planning for ongoing big club roster needs.

Even if we drafted one he'd just be traded away for a useless Euroleaguer like Denis Malgin.

Reactions: ToneDog

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Thats great. I will take a 3rd rounder and Klefbom in deal.

Place Klefbom on LTIR and is a safety net for Reilly walking next season or if he gets better by end of season we can trade Reilly before deadline for controllable assets. Either way we should be aiming for that package.

If that is turned down. I will take Kassian and 4th rounder. Place Kassian with Matthews/Nylander.

Reactions: Burnie97

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like Hyman and I wish him all the best.

Looking at it from the outside I really think EDM/Holland are having a difficult time attracting players.

9 months of snow and darkness can be a thing though...

Yup

Hyman is my favotite Leaf, because I appreciate his hard work and effort. He is not going to be easily replaced and he will be missed.

Wish him well, but as much as I like him I ain't giving him more than 5 years on any deal..

I cheer for the crest on the front not the name on the back, so I'm willing to let him go in the best long-term interest of the team.

Zach has earned whatever some team is willing to play him based on what he brings nightly to a team.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Place Klefbom on LTIR and is a safety net for Reilly walking next season or if he gets better by end of season we can trade Reilly before deadline for controllable assets. Either way we should be aiming for that package.

If that is turned down. I will take Kassian and 4th rounder. Place Kassian with Matthews/Nylander.

Yeah I don't know what they could realistically get from them but something would be better than nothing obviously. I figured it'd just be a 6th rounder I think Edmonton has a couple. Depends how much they want him, and how much it keeps the average down for them per season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Klefbom on LTIR does not help us at all. People need to stop thinking that you can just add LTIR contracts and magically have more cap space.

Kassian cannot play in the top 6. Might as well just play Simmonds there if you want plays to die.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Even if we drafted one he'd just be traded away for a useless Euroleaguer like Denis Malgin.

I saw Mason Marchment was protected by Florida in the expansion draft. Not sure if they didn’t have enough forwards to protect and just threw him in there but it does annoy me to see that. Completely unnecessary L.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yup

Hyman is my favotite Leaf, because I appreciate his hard work and effort. He is not going to be easily replaced and he will be missed.

Wish him well, but as much as I like him I ain't giving him more than 5 years on any deal..

I cheer for the crest on the front not the name on the back, so I'm willing to let him go in the best long-term interest of the team.

Zach has earned whatever some team is willing to play him based on what he brings nightly to a team.

I agree with your sentiments. Hard worker but lately injured too much, and changed his game if you really watched closely. Wasn't banging too much and was trying to be too flashy. He changed who he was. Playing with superstars got to him.

My guess is his body has taken a beating. He signing his retirement deal, and he will sail into the future collecting paychecks.

He isnt the same player. And I would rather it be someone else paying him that contract then the Leafs.

This past playoffs showed his game isnt the same. He was a non-contributor that was the main reason Matthews-Marner were shutdown as they were. Just too many people too blind to have recognized it.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This is another Lucic/Ladd contract in the making.

These GMs never learn man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Those type of players like Muzzin and Hyman dont need to be drafted to build what we need. Its dealing to fill those gaps and realizing the gaps. Signing the right players in FA.

I am ok with drafting skilled players as this is the way the NHL is going. But the element of role players has to be mixed in. Drafting these players makes no sense in my eyes. Focus on skill in draft. Fill holes of grit and size within FA and trades. Skill carries more value then the other elements if draft choices pan out.

The galaxy braining needs to stop when it comes to these skill vs whatever debates. It takes many different types to build a good team and we clearly need an evaluation process that takes that diversity into consideration. The governing principle here is that you’ll never get a cheaper player than a homegrown drafted prospect. Otherwise we are stuck over paying for Hyman on the UFA market. We have the dekes and dangles. We just need the other ingredients.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Once the trade is made he's all the Oilers problem then. lol

That contract, much as I love Zach, will not age well.
Totally agree .. Oilers will get maybe 3 more solid years from Zach before he starts to wear down as his style of game never ages well .. then it will be a nightmare .. I always feel bad for Oilers as they really have to overpay for east coast guys to move out there .. that is one contract I would insure insure and buy more insurance on .. love Zach but that contract will be a monster to trade off later on

Reactions: kb

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This is another Lucic/Ladd contract in the making.

These GMs never learn man.

Surprised Holland is the GM making these type of moves. You would think a GM with his record and experience would be smarter then that. Oh well. Best wishes to him and Zach

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Kassian is a negative value player.
3 x $3.2 at 30 years old...no thank you.

and Edmonton does not have a 2nd, 3rd, or 5th round pick this year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The galaxy braining needs to stop when it comes to these skill vs whatever debates. It takes many different types to build a good team and we clearly need an evaluation process that takes that diversity into consideration. The governing principle here is that you’ll never get a cheaper player than a homegrown drafted prospect. Otherwise we are stuck over paying for Hyman on the UFA market. We have the dekes and dangles. We just need the other ingredients.

Tell that to the Montreal Canadiens that signed Toffoli below market value and Perry on vet minimum contract. That traded for Edmundson for a bucket of pucks. All players not home grown but signed/traded for to complement a skilled small team. They didnt overpay for any of them, and they were all key contributors for them ousting our Toronto Maple Leafs and ultimately getting to the Finals.

It can be done with a smart GM. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad