Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
why would you want him back for 7/8 years at $5M i dont want him for 1 year at 5M.

This seems a very strange way to go about hating dubas, basically "i cant believe dubas screwed up paying stars now we cant sign a long term overpay for a guy whos main attribute is hard working" and not really much else. Why the desperation for such an anchor contract

The Isles failed to win anything with JT in his prime at 5.6 M. The face of the franchise was already cpt. underpants. It sets an internal cap in motion by overpaying for UFA we did not need, could not afford and had no place for with Matthews already locked as 1 C.

All this crap so JT can play 2C for his hometown. We got feel-good story for the editor in Leaf and fraked any chances we had on signing #34 to a decent contract. Hence meh playoff efforts from the whole team and contracts as close to UFA as possible.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hyman will be to what McDavid what Chris Kunitz was to Crosby. A reliable player, extremely hard worker, willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and bang in rebounds. The last 3-4 years of his contract will probably suck, but the first 4 will be awesome.

McDavid will have north of 100 points each year he's healthy (70+ games) and and I don't think Hyman will have fewer than 55-60 points over the next 4 years, assuming he plays with McDavid and / or Draisaitl and stays healthy.

They overpaid because free agents almost never go to Edmonton, but make no mistake, they made their team better with this move. They desperately needed another top 6 caliber winger with some size and sand paper.

I don't agree with the Kunitz comparison, but I agree with everything else you're saying.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Congratulations to Hyman, looks like he's about to make himself some serious money

I'm also glad we aren't the ones giving him that abomination of a contract and if we had of been I'd have wanted to march on MLSE with a pitch fork

So thank you Kenny and good on you Kyle for not being an idiot like Kenny
Never interrupt an enemy when they are in the process of destroying themselves.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'd like to see Toronto go hard after Jaden Schwartz. He's be a great addition to the top 6, as long as he's not looking for 7-8 years.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Scoring plays die on Zach Hyman's stick. Great work ethic. No scoring touch. Once he gets the puck, if he doesn't turn it over and manages to funnel it to teammate the best thing he could do is pretty much head to the bench. Mission accomplished.

I would still smile if the Leafs gave Edmonton a 7th-round pick for the Oilers to sign him to 8x5. It would save the Leafs from themselves.

I don't care if the Leafs get a third, fourth, fifth, sixth or conditional seventh-round pick; a bag of pucks; a $20 Tim Horton's card; or nothing at all if the Oilers would only relieve them of the possibility of overpaying Hyman on a long-term contract.

A three- or four-year deal at no more than $4-million would be fine with me. Any more term or money would displease me. I even think 4x$4 is a bit overly generous. 3x$3.5 would be more like it.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Hyman...wants a contender

Me... looking over at Edmonton... contender.. :rolleyes: Mike Smith... Duncan Keith... Kenny leading the way

Reactions: kb

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Isles failed to win anything with JT in his prime at 5.6 M. The face of the franchise was already cpt. underpants. It sets an internal cap in motion by overpaying for UFA we did not need, could not afford and had no place for with Matthews already locked as 1 C.

All this crap so we JT can play 2C for his hometown. We got feel-good story for the editor in Leaf and fraked any chances we had on signing #34 to a decent contract. Hence meh playoff efforts from the whole team and contracts as close to UFA as possible.

ok all of this is irrelevant to Hyman not being worth $5M over 8 years. If we just started a rebuild and couldn't reach the floor its still a terrible deal. 29 yr old with serious knee injury recently is not someone to give 8 years $5M

Reactions: Ciao

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Funny that Dubas keeps tip toeing around Hyman signing in Edmonton. He hasnt heard anything other then whats been reported? Nothing from agent or player? Horrible liar.

Just state he isnt coming back, I screwed the cap and I cannot bring him back. Simple.
The only screwup would be to bring Hyman back at that price.

Last edited:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
He'll be great for them in the first few years. But that'll be a horrible contract by years 4-5+

But that's another GMs problem

Reactions: Ciao and kb

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Maybe Hyman is actually being the ultimate Leaf here…
1) Goes to Edmonton on outrageous contract;
2) Puts Edmonton in salary cap purgatory;
3) Edmonton can’t resign McDavid in 2026;
4) Leafs sign McDavid with money from expiring Tavares/Marner;
5) Hyman is traded back to Leafs at 50% and hoists the Cup in 2027!
6) Hyman is all-time Leaf hero.

:sarcasm:
Double agent. Love it

Reactions: Ciao and Daeomer

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Love the guy so much and I'm happy he is getting a big payday. I'm especially happy he is getting that big payday somewhere else...

Reactions: kb and Ciao

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't agree with the Kunitz comparison, but I agree with everything else you're saying.

They're not the exact same player, but they'll fill a similar role. Having played with Matthews and Marner, Edmonton already knows Hyman can play with too talent and can handle enormous minutes. It's a bonus that he's a quality PK option and a solid PP choice as well. A Swiss Army Knife South of 30 years old, capable of scoring 60 points McDavid, isn't bad for slightly north of 5 million.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If he signs in EDM for a mil more a year over what the Leafs can afford on a 7/8 year deal....wow that is a puzzler.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
If he signs in EDM for a mil more a year over what the Leafs can afford on a 7/8 year deal....wow that is a puzzler.
It's a puzzler than someone wants $7-$8 million more? How often do people walk away from more money in life?

Reactions: ToneDog

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
He'd be signing in Edmonton for a million less than offered elsewhere. Here it would be 2 million less. Good on him.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It's a puzzler than someone wants $7-$8 million more? How often do people walk away from more money in life?

I hear ya....but after taxes...take home about 500-600K a year? For sure that's a lot but enough to leave the place he loves...loved enough to force his way out of FLA to get to....the place where he owns businesses and has endorsement opportunities to make up lost $$ on his contract.

Hey it's his life and his future if he chooses that more power to him I'm just surprised is all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad