Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
In this particular case getting worse is way more preferable than signing hyman to 7 or 8 years. That is an anchor contract

Eventually, yes it probably will be.

But then if you keep tossing out depth players, how does the team get better?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hilarious that Dubas sticks to his guns and doesn't over pay Hyman on a too long of a deal and he still doesn't get credit.

People on this board are clearly just picking a side and it's BS.

Call it like it is, he made a good decision here.

Call him out on bad decisions and good decisions. It's total BS to take every good decision and crap on it.

closing the barn door after the horses are gone isn't a winning strategy

I'm going to hate saying this but either Marner or Nylander will have to go to get this thing on the right track

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not advocating signing Hyman to the reported deal he is signing with Oilers, but what is Dubie’s plan? Our 5th best forward is Kerfoot and that’s just not good enough. The 4 amigos by themselves are not going to carry us anywhere. I don’t know if we even make the playoffs. What’s the plan?

Reactions: Omar23

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Eventually, yes it probably will be.

But then if you keep tossing out depth players, how does the team get better?

Love Hyman, but considering how many primo scoring chances he had against Montreal and failed to capitalize, I don't think it's hard to envision the team having more success without him. He didn't show all that well when it mattered, the same as most of our team, but just pointing out that it's not like he was carrying us in POs - was arguably a net negative out there because he wasn't finishing grade a chances.

Reactions: kb and TheKule

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it's hilarious that some people around here still believe Tavares' deal had any impact at all on what Matthews agreed to and subsequently Marner.

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Love Hyman, but considering how many primo scoring chances he had against Montreal and failed to capitalize, I don't think it's hard to envision the team having more success without him. He didn't show all that well when it mattered, the same as most of our team, but just pointing out that it's not like he was carrying us in POs - was arguably a net negative out there because he wasn't finishing grade a chances.

Neither was Matthews and Marner. They make $22M and Hyman made just over $2M. But in your mind Hyman was the issue?

Reactions: NiftyMits

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Playoff Hyman helps me get over losing him. His finger prints are all over the last 4 losses (Caps loss was a positive loss so I don't like using it as a negative example).

But we have a huge regular season hole now. I may be exaggerating but Hyman is one of the best in the league if we're strictly speaking regular season. Making the playoffs will be a challenge next year without a prime Andersen if they don't fix this hole.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I am not advocating signing Hyman to the reported deal he is signing with Oilers, but what is Dubie’s plan? Our 5th best forward is Kerfoot and that’s just not good enough. The 4 amigos by themselves are not going to carry us anywhere. I don’t know if we even make the playoffs. What’s the plan?

The salary cap has left us with no plan. Honestly, covid creating a flat cap destroyed us.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
I hear ya....but after taxes...take home about 500-600K a year? For sure that's a lot but enough to leave the place he loves...loved enough to force his way out of FLA to get to....the place where he owns businesses and has endorsement opportunities to make up lost $$ on his contract.

Hey it's his life and his future if he chooses that more power to him I'm just surprised is all.

The key for him is that this is most likely his last big contract, and he's trying to cash in as much as he can. He'll most likely never make this kind of money again. The 3 young Leafs still have big contracts to look forward to.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Which Hyman are you getting for that price? He’s been nowhere worth that except for this COVID and injury shortened season, where he looked like Hossa. And then he was close to the worst player on the team coming back from injury in the playoffs.

My guess is that Edmonton will see a bit of both early on, and probably significant regret in the back half of the deal.

At the end of the day, he chose $ over a better chance to win a cup, so have a nice life, Zach.
Nobody. Dubas doesn't like that toxic male aggression.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The salary cap has left us with no plan. Honestly, covid creating a flat cap destroyed us.
$9.4 million to get a (complementary) #1 LW, a middle 6 C/F, and a 1B goalie - plus a minimum salary vet 6/7 D.

That's before any of Mikheyev, Engvall, Kerfoot are possibly moved out.

Much better situation than past seasons.

Reactions: TopChedder

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The key for him is that this is most likely his last big contract, and he's trying to cash in as much as he can. He'll most likely never make this kind of money again. The 3 young Leafs still have big contracts to look forward to.

he wont even make this amount of money for the 8 years of the contract, he will 100% be bought out. My guess year 5 but after 4 years before 8 he will be bought out

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Which Hyman are you getting for that price? He’s been nowhere worth that except for this COVID and injury shortened season, where he looked like Hossa. And then he was close to the worst player on the team coming back from injury in the playoffs.

My guess is that Edmonton will see a bit of both early on, and probably significant regret in the back half of the deal.

At the end of the day, he chose $ over a better chance to win a cup, so have a nice life, Zach.
Did he really?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
$9.4 million to get a (complementary) #1 LW, a middle 6 C/F, and a 1B goalie - plus a minimum salary vet 6/7 D.

That's before any of Mikheyev, Engvall, Kerfoot are possibly moved out.

Much better situation than past seasons.
It's going to be a very interesting August.

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
Matthews and Marner on their current deals would be absolutely fine if they played in the playoffs like they do in the regular season. They are both overpayments due to their complete inability to show up when it counts.

As a result, we have zero margin of error on any new contracts and thus signing Hyman is impossible. Even a $1MM overpayment on a new contract on the Leafs is backbreaking.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
This is why drafting well is paramount. Leafs had so many picks pissed away by boy genus Hunter and Lou pissing away picks on useless players like Plekanec.

It's rather impressive that we don't have a Hyman replacement despite having four years notice that he would be a free agent this summer. You'd figure even by dumb luck that we might've stumbled upon another mucker through draft, trade, free agency etc.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is why drafting well is paramount. Leafs had so many picks pissed away by boy genus Hunter and Lou pissing away picks on useless players like Plekanec.

Well, it doesn’t help that the Leafs haven’t drafted too many players who would fit the “Hyman”, “Muzzin” profile under Dubas either so expect those shortages to magnify over time.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Bad asset management put us where we are. The year that both JVR and Bozak were on expiring deals. The Leafs had no chance to make any hay in the playoffs. Just getting there was an accomplishment alone. Yes they gave Washington a fight but in the end the result was expected. It was here that the downfall and snowball effect commenced.

Had they dealt these 2 players for picks and young assets that would have been the start of something special. They chose to go for it and stay the course. That same season they decided to go all in on Marleau as well. Horrible mistakes that season caused where we are today.

People can say what they want of Uncle Lou. Yes he did some good things. But Zaitsev contract, Marleau contract, keeping of JVR and Bozak, these moves all translated into the demise and waste of our big guns rookie deals.

Unfortunately Dubas has continued the trend. Bad signings of Marner more so then Nylander. Even though both contracts could have been lower. Having to trade away valuable depth players such as Brown, Johnsson and Kapanen all had to do with poor cap management and asset management.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's rather impressive that we don't have a Hyman replacement despite having four years notice that he would be a free agent this summer. You'd figure even by dumb luck that we might've stumbled upon another mucker through draft, trade, free agency etc.

We don’t draft Hyman, Muzzin, Clifford, Simmonds, Holl types either. So when people talk about best player available on draft day and don’t worry about types. That’s true but only goes so far if there’s zero advanced planning for ongoing big club roster needs.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Still no one reporting a done deal?
I think Zach is hoping Dubas will cave and do him a solid like he did for his other boys.
Here comes an 8 year, $4.75/year deal….. framed as a huge discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad