News Article: Zach Bogosian - Signs with Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Nice, we just freed up 5M in cap

Given that the prices for acquiring good middle sixers today is equivalent to what we got for Ryan O'Reilly, I don't know that there's much we can do with it.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Well, at the very least, he was being a dink by asking for a trade after getting the healthy scratch. Whether this is some under the table deal they cooked up remains to be seen. Either way, he can piss off and never wear these colors again.
I also think bogosian was being petulant by asking for a trade right after being scratched, but I do temper that by acknowledging that he must realize he isn’t part of the organizations future. I am sure he was just ready to move on with his life/career with another team ASAP.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice, we just freed up 5M in cap

Given that the prices for acquiring good middle sixers today is equivalent to what we got for Ryan O'Reilly, I don't know that there's much we can do with it.

Strangely enough, they could use it for teams looking to shuffle out cap for their contending runs. Essentially use it to buy futures (picks) to hold an expiring contract.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I also think bogosian was being petulant by asking for a trade right after being scratched, but I do temper that by acknowledging that he must realize he isn’t part of the organizations future. I am sure he was just ready to move on with his life/career with another team ASAP.

Sure. Then do that quietly. Whining to the media is an express route to my ****list

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Strangely enough, they could use it for teams looking to shuffle out cap for their contending runs. Essentially use it to buy futures (picks) to hold an expiring contract.

Yeah that's probably the most realistic option, although I would like to see the roster actually improved and make a playoff push with both the Panthers and Leafs stuttering right now.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Lotta people talking about injury angles, egos, etc. this move is purely based on the fact that Bogosian wants to play in the NHL. Playing in the AHL at this juncture effectively ends his career. At this point it might be worth losing a bit of money now to better position himself for a one or two year deal this off season. He likely signs for league minimum with a playoff team in a 6-8 role.

It was obvious once he asked for a trade he was never going to report to Rochester: the guy sees himself as an NHLer. Call it ego. This is all procedural jargon from both sides.

I don’t hate Bogo, and I don’t blame him either. Buffalo wins out here because they get a bad contract off the books (even if it is only a bit of savings) and Bogosian gets to hopefully sign on with a playoff team.

I disagree that playing in the AHL ends his career, but he is absolutely still an NHL caliber player. This only happened for business reasons.

I do agree this is likely a coordinated move by both parties. ZB wants to play, he's not going to play here, and there clearly is nobody willing to make a deal to acquire him. This is the best option for both parties.

He'll sign for more than the league min; he's not that much of a pylon. ( ERod was awarded $2M, remember? ) I wish nothing but the best for Bogo; would have been nice to see it work out here, but sometimes it just doesn't.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If my memory is correct, Bogo did not whine to the media. As I recall he refused to acknowledge or talk about the trade request. I could be wrong though, memory is a little fuzzy.

That's true. The request came out and it seemed to put him, Krueger, and Botterill all off.

Reactions: joshjull

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
He's a dumpster fire. Can't imagine there is another team in the league thin enough on defensive depth to pay him any amount of money to play in the NHL this year. Maybe he was able to set something up in Europe. If his agent is any good he's already been shopping him over there for this eventuality for the past couple years.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
He's a dumpster fire. Can't imagine there is another team in the league thin enough on defensive depth to pay him any amount of money to play in the NHL this year. Maybe he was able to set something up in Europe. If his agent is any good he's already been shopping him over there for this eventuality for the past couple years.

Bogo is not even close to that bad. He's not worth $5M+ , and one could question if he ever was, but he's a perfectly serviceable bottom 4 d-man based on talent.

Reactions: RedRaider

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bogo is not even close to that bad. He's not worth $5M+ , and one could question if he ever was, but he's a perfectly serviceable bottom 4 d-man based on talent.
Maybe but to further the point about his salary. I’m sure another team would be FAR more willing to take a chance to find out for 700K as opposed to 5+mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

Bullshit. He was absolutely terrible this year. Probably single handedly cost the Sabres 4 or 5 games. He's got shit for brains.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I disagree that playing in the AHL ends his career, but he is absolutely still an NHL caliber player. This only happened for business reasons.

I do agree this is likely a coordinated move by both parties. ZB wants to play, he's not going to play here, and there clearly is nobody willing to make a deal to acquire him. This is the best option for both parties.

He'll sign for more than the league min; he's not that much of a pylon. ( ERod was awarded $2M, remember? ) I wish nothing but the best for Bogo; would have been nice to see it work out here, but sometimes it just doesn't.
With his injury history its probably going to be a league min prove it contract if he gets one at all.
You cannot really compare the 2.
Erod was 24 &RFA and an arbitrator awarded him the 2mil..if he would have been 29 & UFA and the same injury history as Bogo we would be looking at a compeletly different story...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Good riddance. Blowgo is and has been completely awful for years. Him playing even ONCE over Colin Miller was a huge mistake.

Terminate his deal and lets get this 5.14 mil in cap space!

I wonder if we can do this next year to Okposo. See if riding a bus for 3 full years is worth 14 mil to him.

Reactions: Drunkard

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Maybe but to further the point about his salary. I’m sure another team would be FAR more willing to a chance to find that out for 700K as opposed to 5+mil.
Could they have retained 4.3mil & ship him at the league min salary?

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I suspect that it won't take his agent much effort to get a minimal contract somewhere. One thing forgotten in this thread is that teams are going to do some odd signings to position themselves for the Seattle draft, teams will sign vets just to expose them to the draft.

That's going to open up 8 or so more jobs and Bogosian might be hedging his bet that he can get healthy enough before next season to be a bottom pairing guy for a few more years. That's what happens when you water down the player pool, marginal players get extended for a few years.

Bogosian might lose a million this year, but he also might make 5 million more in his career playing hockey by latching on somewhere.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Good riddance. Blowgo is and has been completely awful for years. Him playing even ONCE over Colin Miller was a huge mistake.

Terminate his deal and lets get this 5.14 mil in cap space!

I wonder if we can do this next year to Okposo. See if riding a bus for 3 full years is worth 14 mil to him.

Okposo is a completely different situation.

1. He is not a complete liability on the ice unlike Bogo

2. Its absurd to think he's going to walk away with 3 years of guaranteed money left waiting for him. Maybe try it when his deal is actually expiring & he needs to fight for another.

All the best to Bogo. Hated him as a player for so long - but always seems like a good guy. Hope he gets a role somewhere which works for him.

Reactions: seagull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad