News Article: Zach Bogosian - Signs with Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
No he isnt a liability just an average 4th line player at this point in his career. He is not getting another contract after this. He is turning 32 and is already reduced to a 4th line player with zero PP time. No one is signing a 35 year old Okposo.

With all his injuries, will Okposo swallow his pride to ride a bus for a couple years, take a beating in the AHL and deal with minor league doctors. It is possible he may retire instead of spending 2 seasons in the AHL riding a bus if we waive him in 21-22. His actual pay is 4 mil a year his last 2 seasons.

That would be a pretty awful way to treat a player who while overpaid - is still capable of playing at the nhl level. Plus a 'good guy' to go with it.

Imagine that the PA might get involved & at the very minimum it would completely sour the entire club's reputation in many players eyes.

Last edited:

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
The question is more would the Pegulas be willing to eat 14 large for 3 years and have to spend more to replace it on the NHL roster.

Almost guarantee that answer is no.

This was brought up the other day in a Sabres related conversation (not at this forum).

It was pointed out that after eating lots of K buyout money for quite a while when he first bought the team, he has not done so in several years with several good opportunities to do so.

The suggestion was that, as a matter of policy, Pegula is no longer OK-ing this type of thing.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Wasn't this expected? Correct me if I am wrong, but if he doesn't report, and they suspend him, then put him through waivers for the purpose of terminating, and then terminate. That would basically be by Bogo's choosing. He is untradeable now with his cap hit, but if he is a free agent in a day or two then he keeps what he has been paid to this point and can sign a vet minimum with a playoff contender that needs a 6/7 dman but doesn't have the cap space. Would give him a chance to show he has more before the offseason.

I'd be shocked if this is not what is playing out, likely as mutually agreed to by both parties in an amicable manner.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Lotta people talking about injury angles, egos, etc. this move is purely based on the fact that Bogosian wants to play in the NHL. Playing in the AHL at this juncture effectively ends his career. At this point it might be worth losing a bit of money now to better position himself for a one or two year deal this off season. He likely signs for league minimum with a playoff team in a 6-8 role.

It was obvious once he asked for a trade he was never going to report to Rochester: the guy sees himself as an NHLer. Call it ego. This is all procedural jargon from both sides.

I don’t hate Bogo, and I don’t blame him either. Buffalo wins out here because they get a bad contract off the books (even if it is only a bit of savings) and Bogosian gets to hopefully sign on with a playoff team.

Huh? In no way does going to the AHL end Bogo's NHL career. It's a shot to his ego, sure, and likely not an ideal situation for his family. I certainly get him wanting to play in the NHL, playing in the AHL would have no affect on his standing the rest of the season/next year. Heck, the Amerks schedule until the trade deadline is all home games. He wouldn't even have to ride the bus to let the team try to find a home for him while collecting his full NHL salary.

It's pure ego.

Okposo is a completely different situation.

1. He is not a complete liability on the ice unlike Bogo

2. Its absurd to think he's going to walk away with 3 years of guaranteed money left waiting for him. Maybe try it when his deal is actually expiring & he needs to fight for another.

All the best to Bogo. Hated him as a player for so long - but always seems like a good guy. Hope he gets a role somewhere which works for him.

Actually the difference is Okposo is likely a bad hit away from bigger issues. KO's contract is signing bonus heavy until his last year. I highly doubt we'll get to this point with KO unless his play just falls off a cliff.

If he retires 7/2/20, he collects 3M, leaves 11M on the table over 3 years
If he retires 7/2/21, he collects 2M, leaves 6M on the table over 2 years

It's likely going to be a risk/reward issue for KO more than anything. It's also possible he ends up retiring on LTIR.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Huh? In no way does going to the AHL end Bogo's NHL career. It's a shot to his ego, sure, and likely not an ideal situation for his family. I certainly get him wanting to play in the NHL, playing in the AHL would have no affect on his standing the rest of the season/next year. Heck, the Amerks schedule until the trade deadline is all home games. He wouldn't even have to ride the bus to let the team try to find a home for him while collecting his full NHL salary.

It's pure ego.

Actually the difference is Okposo is likely a bad hit away from bigger issues. KO's contract is signing bonus heavy until his last year. I highly doubt we'll get to this point with KO unless his play just falls off a cliff.

It's likely going to be a risk/reward issue for KO more than anything. It's also possible he ends up retiring on LTIR.
KO may surprise... Concussions we have found dealing w college athletes are about ...fluid , inflamatiom and neuroinflamation.. Look at Kyle's face along w his play recently.. He may nearly regain his form w the Islanders.. Yes he will be a half step slower but he is smart tough and has good hands as proven by the beautiful goal that clinched against the leaphs

Buffalo doctors and a diet away from the poison we all eat has saved him and the concussion cases on the team..jack included.. Remove cellulose.. Wood to wheat stalk waste corn cob powder etc poisins... Cut in food..is actually gluten.. Never in food before..read safety data sheets on rat x rodenticide . yea really! . Just a few substances we humans never ate before.. Along w checking labels no "natural flavor"which is gmo modified yeast. Poulates body gains fluid weight and the yeast respiration and wasre is a lethargic hallucinogen causes malaise depression..etc..

All i know is we cured concusions.. Now her whole conference silently abandons standard medical and copies her ...

It takes time.. But look at how less puffy his face is.. He may heal fully..

Bogo was hips which will take a year to get his speed if ever and seems mutually agreed to terminate so hecan sign w another team and we both win w cap space.. No way they fd him w Jack and it took time for all tp see
. too mucj for us watching.. I liked Zach's heart the first 20 games he muscled it after winepeg...

Last edited:
Reactions: cybresabre

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20200218_094952.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Has he said "i see a lot of myself in Bogosian," or, "bogosian reminds me of myself?" That would just be icing on the cake :sarcasm:

He hasn't but he keeps trying to say that Bogosian at 29 has a lot of games yet. And that he's "seen him have some excellent games". Ummm... when? Like, in the Botterill era? I feel he should recuse himself in this one. :biglaugh:

And it's always the same mantra of "he's a big, strong, physical guy" when he doesn't do anything with any of that nor play a smart game. So now they have the poor on-ice vision combined with a lack of speed and a lack of physical engagement.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
He hasn't but he keeps trying to say that Bogosian at 29 has a lot of games yet. And that he's "seen him have some excellent games". Ummm... when? Like, in the Botterill era? I feel he should recuse himself in this one. :biglaugh:

And it's always the same mantra of "he's a big, strong, physical guy" when he doesn't do anything with any of that nor play a smart game. So now they have the poor on-ice vision combined with a lack of speed and a lack of physical engagement.

He might if he heals and regains his quickness..bquickness..but not here..

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That would be a pretty awful way to treat a player who while overpaid - is still capable of playing at the nhl level. Plus a 'good guy' to go with it.

Imagine that the PA might get involved & at the very minimum it would completely sour the entire club's reputation in many players eyes.

Did the NHLPA get involved when Wade Redden got waived? He spent 2 full years in the AHL before playing in the NHL again. And unlike now, the Rangers got 100% cap relief from burying him. There is no treating someone badly. Okposo makes 6 mil a year and is a 4th liner and still has 3+ seasons left. We could only be so lucky that after next season, that we could waive him prior to 21-22 and get him to retire.

If Okposo is supposed to get sympathy in that scenario, how about us fans? Having 6 mil in cap space tied up in a guy who A. Cannot stay healthy B. Has had numerous concussions and C. Scores under 30 points a season for 6 mil a year.

Okposo is halfway through his 7 year deal and is a 4th liner already. He is going to fall off even more as he gets older. He already is slow and brittle. I doubt players are going to avoid coming here if we waived Okposo in a year. We literally did the same exact thing with Moulson who was a "nice" guy.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Did the NHLPA get involved when Wade Redden got waived? He spent 2 full years in the AHL before playing in the NHL again. And unlike now, the Rangers got 100% cap relief from burying him. There is no treating someone badly. Okposo makes 6 mil a year and is a 4th liner and still has 3+ seasons left. We could only be so lucky that after next season, that we could waive him prior to 21-22 and get him to retire.

If Okposo is supposed to get sympathy in that scenario, how about us fans? Having 6 mil in cap space tied up in a guy who A. Cannot stay healthy B. Has had numerous concussions and C. Scores under 30 points a season for 6 mil a year.

Okposo is halfway through his 7 year deal and is a 4th liner already. He is going to fall off even more as he gets older. He already is slow and brittle. I doubt players are going to avoid coming here if we waived Okposo in a year. We literally did the same exact thing with Moulson who was a "nice" guy.

I was thinking today about whether or not fans feel bad for Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, Loui Eriksson, or David Backes.

I landed on ‘No’.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I am still baffled by Botts. How the hell did this not happen months ago.

And for the Ferris comment, have your client forfeit 1.5 million. Seems like a mutual termination would be fine, since we won't get anything for him.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

It's pure ego.

Admittedly saying his career would be over is a bit exaggerated but not preposterous. If he goes to Rochester and looks like he can’t skate like he did in Buffalo that will be a bad look.

his best bet is to get out of Buffalo and go to a contender in the playoffs where he can play that 6-8 role. Show the good ol hockey boys he’s built for playoff hockey and get a few million on a one year deal this offseason.

Bogosian will definitely get an NHL deal next year Because of his pedigree + physicality but he’d rather not have an AHL blemish on the resume. Can’t say I blame him

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I was thinking today about whether or not fans feel bad for Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, Loui Eriksson, or David Backes.

I landed on ‘No’.
Depends, I feel bad in the sense that these guys all genuinely want to play to their contracts value. I don't feel bad for the demotions, press box stints, or trades because it is an inherent risk signing a deal like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad