News Article: Zach Bogosian - Signs with Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That’s rough. Hopefully eichel understands the business end of it. Hate to see him turn bitter because of bogosian.

I think Eichel understands hockey, and Bogo was bad at hockey. If he wants to eventually captain a winning team he knows people will need to be moved. We left Moulson on the team for far to long because of his relationship to Eichel, gave Skinner $9 million for Eichel, brought E-Rod in so he had a friendly face in the locker room, possibly gave Reinhart a longer leash than we should have because he was friends with Eichel.

It's good to have friends at work, unfortunately it usually doesnt always work out in the end. I know I've done some of my best work when I couldnt stand the people I worked with, mostly to show them up and because I spent my day doing my job instead of hanging out with friends and some work happened in the meantime. The team needs accountability more than anything, and being in an echo chamber where friends tell you you're doing great isnt always the best environment for that. It's probably why Babcock always seemed to get the best out of his teams, make enemies in the locker room for no other reason than to push them to compete with each other.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I suppose Botts hoped be would be able to trade Bogo as the deadline approached. Can't blame him for trying to get something back, but this outcome was almost inevitable, and could/should have been done weeks ago.

"Better late than never" isn't exactly a feather in Botts' cap.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wonder if Botterill informed Bogosian via Valentines card?

We need a million dollars to pick up Corey Conachar
Bob Corkum’s still alive, too.

He was all bark, no bite.
or, as they say in sailing, all barque, no bight.

You have to report to practice as well as games. Why on earth would you be payed otherwize? You can’t just refuse to do your job because of an AHL assignment. If we told him to dress up as Sabretooth he could refuse though.
Though at least we’d have a Sabretooth who could skate.

Bobby Bonilla reads this, looks at his $1.2M per year deal until he is age 72, and thinks, ‘amateur’.

The 1st real roster move to help the Sabres Botterill has made IMO. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.
Matt Moulson says ‘hi’!

Reactions: seagull

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I suppose Botts hoped be would be able to trade Bogo as the deadline approached. Can't blame him for trying to get something back, but this outcome was almost inevitable, and could/should have been done weeks ago.

"Better late than never" isn't exactly a feather in Botts' cap.
Is it worth it to dress players who are not really NHL material anymore to maybe get a 7th round pick?
He should try to win games & ice the best line up.
If at all he should have tried to dress Miller instead to maximize his value.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Bogosian mad at the world for getting waived and not claimed, wrecking guys in the AHL is something I'll look forward to seeing. Will be sad if he just checks out but fun to watch if he gets after it

There is no chance in the world he gets after it. He defines the quitter attitude on this organization in the last several years.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Is it worth it to dress players who are not really NHL material anymore to maybe get a 7th round pick?
He should try to win games & ice the best line up.
If at all he should have tried to dress Miller instead to maximize his value.

No, it probably wasn't worth it.

You have to remember a 7th round pick in the NHL almost certainly will amount to nothing. Sure, it could be used to get the next Bobby Orr. That is extremely unlikely however, and for the most part, a 7th round pick is borderline devoid of value.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Explain Quitter?

This isn't a Kovalchuk (NJ) type of situation. He put out there that we wanted a move due to play time. I don't discredit that. However, no one is going to take him at his cap hit. Even if you pay 50% you're not really getting much. He'll be here until day of close, and then leave in UFA. Sorry, too sorry good bye.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Bogosian's entire career in terms of on-ice production (not measured in just goals and assists) combined with his career earnings utterly defines all that is wrong with the modern era NHL.
Yepp I agree...these guys overvalue themselves, can't live up to their contracts, and then in some cases like this end up in the minors...oh well too bad...you signed the contract

RedRaider

Oct 25, 2018
This isn't a Kovalchuk (NJ) type of situation. He put out there that we wanted a move due to play time. I don't discredit that. However, no one is going to take him at his cap hit. Even if you pay 50% you're not really getting much. He'll be here until day of close, and then leave in UFA. Sorry, too sorry good bye.
Has nothing to do with being a quitter

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Has nothing to do with being a quitter
Agreed. I don't think Bogo is a quitter, but his body is failing to make good on what his mind is asking. His injuries, surgeries, size, age, and how those things have resulted in a lack of playtime the last few years just culminate into him not having NHL caliber ability anymore. If he can stay healthy, lose some weight, really work on his skating over the offseason, he might be able to get himself back to a level where he can be a third pair NHL defenseman for a few more years.....but whether he has it in him to do all that at this point, may be a bridge to far.

Reactions: RedRaider

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Bogo didn't report to Rochester on Sunday....if he doesn't report by tomorrow they should suspend his ass. Would we be able to terminate his contract and get the cap room for it if he doesn't report?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If i am bogosian, i report to ROC and play my goddamned hardest. He isn't going to get another NHL contract if he doesn't. There is also, what? About 6 million reasons for him to be a dutiful soldier for the remainder of this contract year?

Not reporting could possibly torpedo his career.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If i am bogosian, i report to ROC and play my goddamned hardest. He isn't going to get another NHL contract if he doesn't. There is also, what? About 6 million reasons for him to be a dutiful soldier for the remainder of this contract year?

Not reporting could possibly torpedo his career.

A) There is less than $2.5M left on the contract.

B) His value as a UFA this summer won't be positively impacted if he plays well in the AHL. He's looking at a 1 year "Show me" deal whether he lights up the AHL or sits out the rest of the season.

Reactions: RedRaider

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
A) There is less than $2.5M left on the contract.

B) His value as a UFA this summer won't be positively impacted if he plays well in the AHL. He's looking at a 1 year "Show me" deal whether he lights up the AHL or sits out the rest of the season.

If Bogo is making enough DJing to be able to blow off over $2 million, good for him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Bogo is making enough DJing to be able to blow off over $2 million, good for him.

Well, he's probably taken home over $20M in his career, so far. It will be interesting if the $1M or so in take home pay for the remainder of the year is enough for him to relocate down the I-90 for a couple of months...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad