News Article: Zach Bogosian - Signs with Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I never viewed Bogo as someone who would refuse to report, he seems like he just wants to play hockey. Idk the money implications but is it possible hes doing this as a favor to Eichel/the team? Or is Bogo just toxic?

Reactions: jc17

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
They screwed up on getting rid of Murray's guys. They must have confused Bogosian with ROR thinking who was toxic for culture. We've got some wins now that Bogosian is gone.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
I never viewed Bogo as someone who would refuse to report, he seems like he just wants to play hockey. Idk the money implications but is it possible hes doing this as a favor to Eichel/the team? Or is Bogo just toxic?

I think he's got a massive ego. This is the same guy who requested to be traded after he was a healthy scratch once.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
This could be his method of getting out of the contract that no one would take so he can at least get paid somewhere (probably near league minimum).

Buffalo doesn't have to retain and they free up cap space.

Seems like a win-win.

Agreed, though he should give the Sabres 33% of his salary back since he’s been injured that much, and because he’s being a dink.

Reactions: Chainshot

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Wasn't this expected? Correct me if I am wrong, but if he doesn't report, and they suspend him, then put him through waivers for the purpose of terminating, and then terminate. That would basically be by Bogo's choosing. He is untradeable now with his cap hit, but if he is a free agent in a day or two then he keeps what he has been paid to this point and can sign a vet minimum with a playoff contender that needs a 6/7 dman but doesn't have the cap space. Would give him a chance to show he has more before the offseason.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed, though he should give the Sabres 33% of his salary back since he’s been injured that much, and because he’s being a dink.

Is he being a dink? The team didn't comment, his people aren't commenting. I could see this being agreed upon as a method of allowing him to go somewhere his agent has already been in contact to sign a much lower AAV deal. The Sabres don't have to retain, the acquiring team doesn't have to pay him, he gets to go somewhere to play without being hampered by his outsized contract. *shrug*

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is some huge ego by bogo. He was due 1/4 of his salary still, which is likely more than he’ll make in a full season next year. To walk away and forfeit that kind of cash is a guy over estimating What his role will be moving forward. He likely has 1 more nhl shot and maybe some ahl years left.

Reactions: kummelweck

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wasn't this expected? Correct me if I am wrong, but if he doesn't report, and they suspend him, then put him through waivers for the purpose of terminating, and then terminate. That would basically be by Bogo's choosing. He is untradeable now with his cap hit, but if he is a free agent in a day or two then he keeps what he has been paid to this point and can sign a vet minimum with a playoff contender that needs a 6/7 dman but doesn't have the cap space. Would give him a chance to show he has more before the offseason.
This is the most likely scenario playing out.

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Lotta people talking about injury angles, egos, etc. this move is purely based on the fact that Bogosian wants to play in the NHL. Playing in the AHL at this juncture effectively ends his career. At this point it might be worth losing a bit of money now to better position himself for a one or two year deal this off season. He likely signs for league minimum with a playoff team in a 6-8 role.

It was obvious once he asked for a trade he was never going to report to Rochester: the guy sees himself as an NHLer. Call it ego. This is all procedural jargon from both sides.

I don’t hate Bogo, and I don’t blame him either. Buffalo wins out here because they get a bad contract off the books (even if it is only a bit of savings) and Bogosian gets to hopefully sign on with a playoff team.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah I dont know if I see this as a him having an ego.

Whats the AHL vet rule? Why bother uprooting for a few months to have to battle for an AHL spot that the team probably doesnt want him in anyway?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Well, could've seen this coming...

Moulson, Bogosian; they never go quietly.

Still, best of luck to Bogo finding a new team elsewhere. His career here was unfortunate, largely because of injuries, but he's a respectable man.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Is he being a dink? The team didn't comment, his people aren't commenting. I could see this being agreed upon as a method of allowing him to go somewhere his agent has already been in contact to sign a much lower AAV deal. The Sabres don't have to retain, the acquiring team doesn't have to pay him, he gets to go somewhere to play without being hampered by his outsized contract. *shrug*

Well, at the very least, he was being a dink by asking for a trade after getting the healthy scratch. Whether this is some under the table deal they cooked up remains to be seen. Either way, he can piss off and never wear these colors again.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well, at the very least, he was being a dink by asking for a trade after getting the healthy scratch. Whether this is some under the table deal they cooked up remains to be seen. Either way, he can piss off and never wear these colors again.
Unless this entire thing has been a bit of theatre leading to this moment. Where he gets freedom and we get rid of his cap hit.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Lotta people talking about injury angles, egos, etc. this move is purely based on the fact that Bogosian wants to play in the NHL. Playing in the AHL at this juncture effectively ends his career. At this point it might be worth losing a bit of money now to better position himself for a one or two year deal this off season. He likely signs for league minimum with a playoff team in a 6-8 role.

It was obvious once he asked for a trade he was never going to report to Rochester: the guy sees himself as an NHLer. Call it ego. This is all procedural jargon from both sides.

I don’t hate Bogo, and I don’t blame him either. Buffalo wins out here because they get a bad contract off the books (even if it is only a bit of savings) and Bogosian gets to hopefully sign on with a playoff team.

I agree with not hating Bogo. I agree that he's a respectable man.

The guy's only 29 year old. By all accounts he's a great guy, great teammate and great with the community

His previous contract was based on his draft status and anticipated future performance. Could anyone have anticipated that he'd be injury ridden and untradable because of that that contract? Did Bogo wish this upon himself so he could convalesce for almost half of his contract? I doubt it.

The Sabres are ridding themselves of a bad contract - not a bad person. I just wish that when these business related transactions happen and the player - for whatever reason might not be what was expected at the time the contract was freely signed - can leave the scenario as a business matter and avoid the tossing of rotten tomatoes and name calling at the player, other forms of derision, or reveling in the fact that the player failed to live up to expectations - by some.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I think he was a dink for not taking better care of himself physically. I do question his off-season preparedness year upon year because he was constantly suffering from some sort of injury. He's not a guy we have ever hear about as a gym rat, or taking high-performance bodywork classes. He's just out there turkey hunting. He may only be 29, but his body and how he prep'd it, were insufficient.

I'm glad the player is gone. He may be a great guy, awesome with the charity work, but his impact on the ice was almost always a net negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad