Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He’s a good prospect but people stating he’s metaphysically certain to make the team this year, or even next, are being optimistic.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
He had a pretty wild lob pass assist on the Sabres 3rd goal last night. Played a strong game alongside of Savoie. Savoie took the cake for best game but their line was by far the best line of the hockey game. Played really smart pretty much the whole night long.

Did extremely well on the PK which is expected of him given his IQ. Unlucky he didn't have a couple more assists on the night.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I know it’s only 2 games and pre season but do people think he has a shot to make the team ??

He looks phenomenal and I am against it but I have to reconsider especially after these last two games

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I know it’s only 2 games and pre season but do people think he has a shot to make the team ??

He looks phenomenal and I am against it but I have to reconsider especially after these last two games

I think if he continues to rather drastically outplay Kulich, Rosen and Rousek.......I think he'll get a 9 game run while the aforementioned trio get to Rochester to get straightened out.

I don't think he stays the whole season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

With Quinn out I think he absolutely has a legitimate shot if he keeps playing like this. The weird situation going on in Wenatchee could play into things too if they don’t want him to go there

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011

Unlike some, I do believe Benson gets the nine games. And as someone else said I think at worst, he gets the Shane Wright treatment. I think it really works for this guy. Mind you there are still what, seven preseason games to go I think? But you can't block elite talent and I think he's wasted as I do Savoie also having to send them back to juniors. They are wasting a year if they have to go back.

Benson may not need the Shane Wright treatment. He may be here to stay. Period.
I've said this previously and will say it again, the NHLPA voted to eliminate old vet guys and welcome in kids under the last two CBA's actually. This is the reality playing out from those deals.
Learn to deal with it. There are exceptions to every rule. Benson is one, Savoie is another. Looks to me like Savoie with an injury may get the Shane Wright treatment. But Benson may just make it on his own.

The deal with the CHL is broken.

Sorry Chainshot. This is about NHL talent even at 18 yeas old. That may not be the deal the CHL signed up for, but it is the result of the deal the NHL made and I think it's broken so I don't want to hear about the minors getting to fill their barns up with this talent. Benson and Savoie have contributed enough to filling the junior barns at this point that they should not be held back to prop them up. They've done their gig. Let them move forward. We've had this discussion in the past and we disagree. But these two guys are perfect examples of what's wrong with the system. Go back to Juniors because you missed the cutoff date by one day?
C'mon. Get a getter system!

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Guy is an absolute puck hound. And that no-look backhand pass from the bumper to set up Skinner's PP goal was sublime.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't return to the Dub, but I can see him sticking for his 9 games if he keeps up this level of play. With another year of junior dominance under his belt, he'll be very hard to keep off the Sabres' roster in 2024/25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad