Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
OK didn't realize that
Any of Kulich, Savoie and Ostlund who don’t play 10 games in the NHL will have their contract slide a second year. But that’s the last year it will do that. It’s great for keeping their cheap years as far into the window as possible…but I have to wonder if they don’t want to break one of Savoie or Kulich in this year to avoid having so many rookies entering at once. Ostlund will be in Rochester after this year…but you could be looking at a situation where Kulich and Savoie and Rosen are all ready to play in the NHL after this season…and Benson is better than all of them. Gotta stagger these guys somehow. And the first three’s contracts will start this year (Rosen) or next (Savoie and Kulich…and Ostlund but he will definitely do AHL time) no matter where they play. Benson is the one who won’t…and after this season he might be the hardest to keep out of the league.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Any of Kulich, Savoie and Ostlund who don’t play 10 games in the NHL will have their contract slide a second year. But that’s the last year it will do that. It’s great for keeping their cheap years as far into the window as possible…but I have to wonder if they don’t want to break one of Savoie or Kulich in this year to avoid having so many rookies entering at once. Ostlund will be in Rochester after this year…but you could be looking at a situation where Kulich and Savoie and Rosen are all ready to play in the NHL after this season…and Benson is better than all of them. Gotta stagger these guys somehow. And the first three’s contracts will start this year (Rosen) or next (Savoie and Kulich…and Ostlund but he will definitely do AHL time) no matter where they play. Benson is the one who won’t…and after this season he might be the hardest to keep out of the league.
It will be interesting to see for sure, not just from a developmental standpoint, but from the contractual point of view as well, how our prospects segue into the lineup (especially with Quinn out)....Good problem to have....Finally our cupboards are stocked.

Reactions: AaronPines

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
It will be interesting to see for sure, not just from a developmental standpoint, but from the contractual point of view as well, how our prospects segue into the lineup (especially with Quinn out)....Good problem to have....Finally our cupboards are stocked.
We are stocked, but not overstocked:

1. Age decline. Skinner looks good and may continue to be good, but he's getting closer to the age where performance declines. KO and Zemgus will need to be replaced soon.

2. Injury. The odds that a core player takes a career-impacting injury may not be high, but they're not negligible. If it happens, someone will need to step in (or be moved to acquire a replacement).

3. Failure to develop. Prospects become suspects, etc. It's nearly certain that one or more of our young guys will not approach the performance levels we expect. This applies to Quinn, Krebs, JJP as well.

4. Cap. Unless everyone takes a team-friendly contract, we will lose a piece or two. There will eventually be a place for everyone on ELC/ first RFA contracts.

5. Trade currency. You have to give to get. To fill gaps (D, G, role-players), we will need to cede away young talent.

We have enough talent to overcome these threats and contend. Timing of arrivals presents a challenge. But there is no surplus.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

1. Age decline. Skinner looks good and may continue to be good, but he's getting closer to the age where performance declines. KO and Zemgus will need to be replaced soon.

2. Injury. The odds that a core player takes a career-impacting injury may not be high, but they're not negligible. If it happens, someone will need to step in (or be moved to acquire a replacement).

3. Failure to develop. Prospects become suspects, etc. It's nearly certain that one or more of our young guys will not approach the performance levels we expect. This applies to Quinn, Krebs, JJP as well.

4. Cap. Unless everyone takes a team-friendly contract, we will lose a piece or two. There will eventually be a place for everyone on ELC/ first RFA contracts.

5. Trade currency. You have to give to get. To fill gaps (D, G, role-players), we will need to cede away young talent.

We have enough talent to overcome these threats and contend. Timing of arrivals presents a challenge. But there is no surplus.
Zem is 29 lol, he might be out if we get to the point where we have to much talent at forward but he won't have to be replaced soon because of age.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I’m still giddy that we somehow got our crown jewel prospect ( benson - obviously not including our number one pics here…) at the end of this, when we almost made the playoffs… Still can’t believe that he actually slipped to us

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

This is well laid out, but if we don't have a surplus then almost every team in the league has a deficit. Imo we do have a surplus when you count up all the likely subtractions and additions, then consider the fact that we can and will fill holes like a non-rebuilding normal team (UFA/trade) when we're managing a mature, competitive roster (as early as this year).

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
This is well laid out, but if we don't have a surplus then almost every team in the league has a deficit. Imo we do have a surplus when you count up all the likely subtractions and additions, then consider the fact that we can and will fill holes like a non-rebuilding normal team (UFA/trade) when we're managing a mature, competitive roster (as early as this year).

I'm not interested in what everyone else has. I want a dynasty. I want four Cups. Call me greedy. Not a surplus. :nod:

Our roster may be competitive now, but it is not yet mature and won't be for another three years. Let's not be complacent and value any of our talented young players less because we have several. If they can be developed to their potential -- or moved for equal value -- there's no reason that the Sabres can't continuously be in contention until Zach Benson turns 30.

I can be patient for another year or two before any big moves with our players/prospects. But to be fair, I can't see the Sabres drafting in the first round again until 2026.

Still, not a surplus!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
There will be another 2 rookie forwards on the opening night roster. Time will tell who they are. I don't think the Sabres know.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well said

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't know if any of the 1st rounders start the season in Buffalo but I have to think if they don't, Kulich and Rosen will at least get a cup of coffee. Savoie we know is either all or nothing but it will be tough to keep Kulich off the 90 when injuries happen. Next October will be a jam unless some of these guys are moved.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm not interested in what everyone else has. I want a dynasty. I want four Cups. Call me greedy. Not a surplus. :nod:

Our roster may be competitive now, but it is not yet mature and won't be for another three years. Let's not be complacent and value any of our talented young players less because we have several. If they can be developed to their potential -- or moved for equal value -- there's no reason that the Sabres can't continuously be in contention until Zach Benson turns 30.

I can be patient for another year or two before any big moves with our players/prospects. But to be fair, I can't see the Sabres drafting in the first round again until 2026.

Still, not a surplus!
I like it and generally think the same way. But you're describing a surplus.

We have more future NHLers in our system than will be able to fit on one NHL roster eventually. What I'm talking about is if any one of Richard, Komarov, Kozak, Nadeau, (Bloom), etc turn into solid pros. We've hoarded picks and drafted better than most, so we have a disproportionate collection of the 32x23=736 NHLers that will make up the league at some future point. Talent finds its level and our prospects will have to find their way to NHL roster spots in other organizations if they hit as they reach maturity. That's a surplus.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I like it and generally think the same way. But you're describing a surplus.

We have more future NHLers in our system than will be able to fit on one NHL roster eventually. What I'm talking about is if any one of Richard, Komarov, Kozak, Nadeau, (Bloom), etc turn into solid pros. We've hoarded picks and drafted better than most, so we have a disproportionate collection of the 32x23=736 NHLers that will make up the league at some future point. Talent finds its level and our prospects will have to find their way to NHL roster spots in other organizations if they hit as they reach maturity. That's a surplus.
I agree -- talent finds its level and some will likely need to move on. Key words are "if" and "eventually", but no arguments here.

I'm more playing with the ideas that tag along when someone thinks of a resource as a surplus. It's easy to think of a surplus as a nuisance, and that's when a careless person might become wasteful. Then before you know it, the surplus has been squandered and you're left begging again. Waste not want not.

There's also the question of how ambitious your goals are. A 50-pound bag of rice in your kitchen pantry is a surplus. A 50-pound bag of rice at PF Chang's is Wednesday.

So if the goal is for the Sabres to take their turn in an egalitarian manner and be a contender for a few years then -- yeah, we have a surplus. If the goal is dominance for the next decade, then we have just enough for now.

It's all just words and attitudes in the end.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
An alternative from Pronman on the Athletic.

Pronman also uses anecdotes and references previous prospects to lay out his point on current players. Here’s a portion of his take on recent draft pick Zach Benson: “With guys who are of the smallish variety on wing, especially if they are not an elite skater, the question I come back to is whether they are a special small wing, or a more routine variety. The special guys help NHL teams. The routine ones tend to fade into the background and end up in Europe. I rated Cole Caufield and Lucas Raymond very highly. In Caufield, I saw special skill and a special shot, and in Raymond, I saw a special combination of skill/hockey IQ. For me, Benson does not rise to that level. He has excellent hands, vision and competitiveness but I don’t think any of those traits rise to the special level from my viewings.”

Article here:
Why skating ability has such an impact on NHL draft scouting and success

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20230812_003623_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230812_003423_Instagram.jpg

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

4. Zach Benson, LW

5/12/2005 | 5-foot-10 | 170 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 13 in 2023
Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Analysis: Benson has a ton of creativity and offense in his game. He makes high-end skill plays routinely, he’s one of the better passers in junior and projects to be a major asset on an NHL power play. Benson lacks ideal size at 5-foot-9, but he’s relentless in puck battles, often coming out with the puck despite his frame. He’s a responsible, detailed defensive player who is an asset without the puck. His frame, combined with a lack of separation speed, is a concern for his NHL projection even though he’s got good quickness in tight. There is a fair amount of risk on his projection, but his strong compete and tremendous skill, plus his track record of scoring, make you think there is still a very good chance he can become a quality top-six wing in the NHL.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Think he's Buffalo's 3rd best prospect over Jack Quinn which is nuts to think that the Sabres have 2 kids that are better than this guy, but he's definitely better than Jack after accounting for the Achilles rupture - probably the worst injury an athlete can suffer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad