Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Every player was credited for the 2020-21 season, even though the WHL played a limited schedule in a bubble because of the Covid-19 pandemic
(Quote from Lance's The Buffalo News article that was listed in the Savoie thread)

Seems like this means that Benson already has 3 accrued seasons.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
(Quote from Lance's The Buffalo News article that was listed in the Savoie thread)

Seems like this means that Benson already has 3 accrued seasons.

20-21 - 24 GP
21-22 - 73 GP
22-23 - 75 GP

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

20-21 - 24 GP
21-22 - 73 GP
22-23 - 75 GP

Benson didn't miss a game in the COVID-shortened year. I'd like to think that the WHL would give an accrued season to guys who played the entire year.

Seems like Benson has a real strong case that he could go to the AHL next year.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Benson didn't miss a game in the COVID-shortened year. I'd like to think that the WHL would give an accrued season to guys who played the entire year.

Seems like Benson has a real strong case that he could go to the AHL next year.
In Lance's article, he said everyone got credit for the 20-21 season. So, yes, it would seem like Benson is on track to get his 4th season in 23-24 and then be eligible to play in the AHL in 24-25 IF he isn't on the Sabres roster.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Not sure anyone would disagree with him making roster in 2024.

Yes he really is a blue chipper and the most outstanding prospect we have drafted in the middle of the 1st round in I can’t even remember. This reminds me of when the Islanders drafted Matthew Barazal or when the Habs drafted Cole Caufield
Care to give odds on that 200% likelihood? I might be interested in the other side.

No need too , I am very excited about him and he is going to absolutely dominate junior hockey this season Health permitting of course and I would be shocked if he isn’t on the Sabres at some point next season ,

He is just simply so skilled , outstanding with the puck , his on ice vision is spectacular, has some of the best hands I have seen for a junior hockey player not named Bedard , Shane Wright and even a guy like Logan Cooley he is so good and naturally hits the highlight reel and absorbs hits.

He creates the open ice and finds open scoring lanes for his teammates to score goals , a great skater and a pure goal scoring and more than a point per game player

I still cannot believe he fell all the way to 13, and not only did we almost make the playoffs last season , we got a potential top 5 talent in the draft

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I would like to reiterate the problem If Kulich and or Savoie don’t make the nhl this year. Along with Benson who is the best of the bunch and Rosen who will be the oldest and have two years of AHL already…

how many rookies are you going to break in in 24/25? 4? At forward alone? Is it another development year?

If your answer is they’ll trade away ELC contract or two for proven player…A: that’s hilarious. B: they should have done it already

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I would like to reiterate the problem If Kulich and or Savoie don’t make the nhl this year. Along with Benson who is the best of the bunch and Rosen who will be the oldest and have two years of AHL already…

how many rookies are you going to break in in 24/25? 4? At forward alone? Is it another development year?

If your answer is they’ll trade away ELC contract or two for proven player…A: that’s hilarious. B: they should have done it already
If they let all the UFA walk and resign the RFAs that's already 10 bodies for the forwards so its not an issue.

And since when does having rookies on your roster make it a development year, every team has rookies on their roster.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Adams will need to switch from "not blocking the prospects" to the Detroit model of the 90's - overcooking them in the AHL.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Also, why are you worried now?

Rosen has three years left on his entry level contact and is exempt from waivers until 2026-27.

Kulich has four seasons left on his entry level contact and is exempt from waivers until 2027-28. (Slides if he's in the AHL this season)

If they force their way on to the roster sooner then the GM needs to make moves to make room.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

Yeah what’s the problem , having this many good young players just makes us that much more scary for the future . There is always going to be a learning curve and we are a young and up and coming team ,

You can also trade a player like Rosen or Ostlund for future draft picks or a solid NHL defenseman in a big time trade because sooner or later Adam’s will be making win now trades to help the NHL roster

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Look at the roster for the next 3 years. Who is a given? 7? That is a lot of question marks. Can't assume Quinn and Peterka will both be true top 6 forwards, can't assume Mitts stays. To me, If Quinn and Peterka make solid steps forward, that is a green light to move a prospect or two.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Adams will need to switch from "not blocking the prospects" to the Detroit model of the 90's - overcooking them in the AHL.
This is what we're going to see and it's why I'm not so sure that Benson "200%" makes the team out of camp next year. I think Adams wants to establish the "well-done" prospect model, out of both numbers-based necessity and developmental philosophy. Also, the pro experience gained by these guys in Roch should help allay concerns of breaking in multiple rookies at once.

Benson is an excellent prospect, but imo he's not a transcendent prospect without limitations (mainly physical). So I'm not comfortable guaranteeing that he'll immediately lap guys like Savoie, Kulich, and Rosen for scarce 2024 roster spots when they're 12-24 months older than him. Throw in the fact that Benson is now all-but-guaranteed to get the Wright Exemption and have AHL eligibility next year, and I'd take the bet that he starts down there next year but ends up playing significant time in Buffalo by year's end as injuries/trades/stalled developments thin guys out.

All this could change of course if Benson has a 120-point WHL season and stars for gold-medal Canada at WJC. But as of now, I think Adams will take advantage of the luxury of having 3-4 pro-ready prospects with a head start on Benson and start him in Roch. Levi aside, I think the front office really likes getting Appert's influence on our top prospects, even if it's for half a season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad