Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I mean....not to nitpick, but they said they drafted him because every time they went to see Savoie they were blown away by how great Benson was.

So....you aren't wrong.
Savoie has figured out that he's not that big and plays accordingly. Benson has figured out that he's not that big and decided to become a slayer of giants. Together they are a treat.

Reactions: Hudini

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean....not to nitpick, but they said they drafted him because every time they went to see Savoie they were blown away by how great Benson was.
It's funny, scouts said the exact same thing when Boston personnel went to watch a prospect of theirs and Marchand kept coming up to them. And I see the exact same personality and work ethic on the ice as Marchand.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

12. Zach Benson, LW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 13, 2023)

There were a lot of nights two seasons ago, on an Ice team that boasted half a dozen of the better forwards and two of the top defencemen in the WHL, where this kid was the best player on the ice (which included him leading them in scoring in the playoffs with 23 points in 15 games) as a 16-year-old. And then last season there was no doubt: Though an injury kept him out of the first round of the playoffs and allowed Ice and now Sabres teammate Matt Savoie to really take over in the postseason, Benson was the best forward on arguably the CHL’s most talented team at forward.

And while he has benefitted from playing with talented linemates, Benson’s a driver in every sense. He’s a multi-dimensional forward who has quick acceleration, can handle the puck at speed and change tempos in control, can shape play by opening up his hips to go heel to heel, thrives in traffic, is a triple shot-deke-pass threat, plays one step ahead of the game in possession, supports the play effectively, problem-solves as well as anyone on this list, works hard off the puck to keep his energy up (he plays heavier and scrappier than he looks, too), and sets the pace and effort level for his line (whether by picking it up or slowing it down to use his creativity).

He’s the kind of player who fills the stat sheet and elevates his linemates in subtle ways, while providing shockingly impressive two-way play for a smallish (about 5-foot-10 and 160-something pounds) winger. Increasingly, I’ve been impressed by his agility in and out of breaks and cuts (his skating is an almost underrated asset for him and particularly impressive through his edges and crossovers, though he can get going the length of the ice, too). He’ll make plays to the inside from the perimeter on one shift, and then go right to the guts of the ice to make something happen in a congested area the next. When you package all of that skill with a dogged work ethic that keeps him around pucks all the time, you’ve got a tremendous player. If he were a little bigger, he’d be a scout’s dream. I think he’s going to be a top-of-the-lineup player regardless.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The mic'd up video that the social media team threw on Youtube was interesting. Benson is constantly communicating and looking to create. I can also see him being a Skinner-type pest, because other teams are gonna want him to STFU and he just won't.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Wheeler's 2023 Top 50 list contains players from the 2023, 2022, 2021, and 2020 drafts. Of the players on Wheeler's list who were drafted in 2023 - Zach Benson was 6th highest ranking 2023 draftee.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Wheeler's 2023 Top 50 list contains players from the 2023, 2022, 2021, and 2020 drafts. Of the players on Wheeler's list who were drafted in 2023 - Zach Benson was 6th highest ranking 2023 draftee.
Most of the 'expert' mock drafts had him going 6/7ish

Reactions: paulmm3

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Smartest AND hardest working player in the draft. He was the fifth best prospect this year IMO.

Benson-Thompson-Savoie
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Krebs-Mittelstadt-Ostlund/Rosen/Kulich

Power- ?
Samuelsson-Dahlin

Levi

Just an absolutely mindblowingly talented lineup a couple years from now. Who goes among the forwards for a stellar partner for Power to make it all come together?

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I'm glad we signed him but seems like it was a year too early...we're basically burning a year away for nothing....don't like these type of signings.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm glad we signed him but seems like it was a year too early...we're basically burning a year away for nothing....don't like these type of signings.
Huh, what are you talking about? The contract slides until he plays in the NHL (or AHL, which seems unlikely).

Reactions: VaporTrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad