Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Weird scenario but curious about it. If Benson plays 10+ games this year and his ELC kicks in, what is the scenario next year? Is it still Buffalo or WHL only? Or can he play in Roch once his ELC clock is running? If he played next year in WHL, would it slide or does sliding end when an ELC begins?

Hopefully that was coherent but I'm doubtful.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Weird scenario but curious about it. If Benson plays 10+ games this year and his ELC kicks in, what is the scenario next year? Is it still Buffalo or WHL only? Or can he play in Roch once his ELC clock is running? If he played next year in WHL, would it slide or does sliding end when an ELC begins?

Hopefully that was coherent but I'm doubtful.
From what I have seen he would be allowed to play in the AHL next season anyway.

AaronPines

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
I mean he’s the only whose played like he’s worthy of that spot… was hoping to see more steps from more guys, but if Benson does snag it, is that so bad? He’s playing to earn it.

His defense already shows enough shine to take a VO role (that is faint praise, I know but there’s not nothing there)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Ah that's right, he's going to get the exemption. I'm still curious about the scenario as a hypothetical though.
Once a player plays 10 NHL games their contact starts and can no longer slide.

The start of an ELC does not qualify a CHL player for the AHL. AHL is dependent on age or playing 4 junior seasons.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Once a player plays 10 NHL games their contact starts and can no longer slide.

The start of an ELC does not qualify a CHL player for the AHL. AHL is dependent on age or playing 4 junior seasons.
So if Benson played ten games this year, it would be year 1/3 ELC, then even if he played all year in the W next year it would be year 2/3 ELC.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Don’t know much about that CHL agreement but if we would just have to kick off the ELC we could Savoie give his 10 games and send him to Rochester. Doubt it works like that.
It's different with every league and complicated so it's understandable. Essentially you want to avoid having CHL kids play 10 NHL games unless you want them to be on your NHL roster full time.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The NHL-CHL agreement to keep the CHL competitive is understandable but there should be buyouts allowed. If Buffalo gives a CHL team 500k-1m just an estimate as I have no idea the actual financial impact of losing a player is that not better than say Benson playing another year in the WHL? I am not saying it should be a constant but why not allow 1 buyout every 3-5 years to allow players who have nothing to gain returning back to the NHL

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We should play the best team this year, no matter what. If he's good enough to make the roster either play him or improve the roster through trade in order to send him down.
The time has come for short term performance.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
We should play the best team this year, no matter what. If he's good enough to make the roster either play him or improve the roster through trade in order to send him down.
Agree in principle, but it's not that simple.

Benson might continue to have a great camp, show he belongs during a 9 game stint, and then wear down significantly as the grind of playing 82 games against much bigger and stronger opponents as a 5'9", 165 lb. 18 year-old rookie takes its toll.

I love his game and what he's demonstrated already, but let's be realistic about his near-term future.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Benson might continue to have a great camp, show he belongs during a 9 game stint, and then wear down significantly as the grind of playing 82 games against much bigger and stronger opponents as a 5'9", 165 lb. 18 year-old rookie takes its toll.

I love his game and what he's demonstrated already, but let's be realistic about his near-term future.
Yeah but then you send him down game 15 or whatever. I just don't care about elc years at all.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo

But when he's 10 years older he won't wear down?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Yeah now that the competition is getting more NHL Level Benson definitely needs another season in junior from what I’ve seen and his -3 today outing

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Yeah now that the competition is getting more NHL Level Benson definitely needs another season in junior from what I’ve seen and his -3 today outing
part of the factor is ... look is playing defense (for the Sabres) in this game

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Otoh, I'm all in favor of this. Playoffs or bust afaic.

Reactions: debaser66

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
part of the factor is ... look is playing defense (for the Sabres) in this game

Benson is best suited going back to junior , the hype was pretty good but no need to rush him .

He will be more than ready for next season . Give him the Mitchell Marner approach .

Plus we have Savoie back next week

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Benson is best suited going back to junior , the hype was pretty good but no need to rush him .

He will be more than ready for next season . Give him the Mitchell Marner approach .

Plus we have Savoie back next week
He's ready. Throw him in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad