Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

A Greenway - Mitts - Quinn line…

1696197082226.gif

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
One of the comments, not sure which preseason game it was:

"He looks like 12, he looks like the guy that brings my newspapers."

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
1.) The up tempo of his game with relentless effort demonstrates how much of that is lacking in so many on the roster..(today and esp. over the years)

2.) I am so impressed by his instincts of knowing when to go to the net at the right time and in proper position to shoot.

You can teach some of that but this kid has a natural talent and instinct for it. He is so aware of everything that is happening on the ice and anticipates so well. Almost Gretzky-ish.

3.) Just hoping he can get through his rookie season w/o getting lumberjack by some lug who has no business being out on the ice.

Gotta start building muscle ASAP.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Even at 18 years old, he’s a far better 200 ft player than most of our roster. In his prime I think he will get selke votes. He is a puck magnet with a relentless forecheck.

Not just forecheck, he's relentless on the backcheck. It's fun to see him translating what he was doing with the ICE so quickly to preseason games. His bumper play on the PP for them is a wrinkle they have to be looking at right now and wondering at, let alone how he's doing his usual puck hounding and backchecking.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Is he really 5'10" and 170 lbs? That seems like a good size to me for someone his age. I know it's hard to tell on video but he looks smaller.

Not just forecheck, he's relentless on the backcheck. It's fun to see him translating what he was doing with the ICE so quickly to preseason games. His bumper play on the PP for them is a wrinkle they have to be looking at right now and wondering at, let alone how he's doing his usual puck hounding and backchecking.
I hear Skinner and Thompson are staying after practice so Benson can give them pointers on the puck hounding and backchecking :sarcasm:

That's the real reason why Benson is on that line -- Granto wants them to watch and learn.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
No way he’s not getting at least nine. He might even get 82 now.
well we will see, but I thin k you've truly hit on what everyone is thinking , wondering as the precipice of regular season approaches.. Hell of a storyline that really hgelp trake all the pressure off the rest of the team, new FA's , Dahlin etc.. quite the beneficial storm, an what a fookin great attitude and confidence he brings, that seems tailor made for this particular team. Embrace the revealing., hopefully after 82 games we can bring jim carrey in to do the weather.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Give him 9 games, keep Savoie around rehabbing in Buffalo or Rochester, then give Savoie 9 games. Benson gets a taste, Savoie gets a taste, we get a taste, everybody gets a taste

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
well we will see, but I thin k you've truly hit on what everyone is thinking , wondering as the precipice of regular season approaches.. Hell of a storyline that really hgelp trake all the pressure off the rest of the team, new FA's , Dahlin etc.. quite the beneficial storm, an what a fookin great attitude and confidence he brings, that seems tailor made for this particular team. Embrace the revealing., hopefully after 82 games we can bring jim carrey in to do the weather.
Quinn & JJP didn't play 82 games last year.

So, 82 games is a stretch. But there is a decent chance that he looks so good with Skinner & Thompson that he breaks all of the expectations for a D+1 pick outside of the top 10 who is undersized.

The hard part for Adams may be the ELC slide. And the Savoie & Quinn injuries could potentially allow Adams to give Benson 9 games, then give Savoie 9 games, and then you are close to Quinn being back. The 18th game of the season is the third week of November and that gives you roughly 17 more games before Christmas.

And you also have the PKane rumors floating out there.

I have a feeling that Benson has to really be productive and not have the usual rookie learning curve to stick around on this team that wants to make the playoffs.

:dunno:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And you also have the PKane rumors floating out there.
If they sign Kane, I think he will have to take Olofsson's slot. They could also balance the lines a bit, for example:

Skinner - Thompson - Benson
Greenway - Cozens/Mitts - Kane
Peterka - Cozens/Mitts - Tuch

Quinn could replace Greenway in this line after Christmas.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Give him 9 games, keep Savoie around rehabbing in Buffalo or Rochester, then give Savoie 9 games. Benson gets a taste, Savoie gets a taste, we get a taste, everybody gets a taste
Yeah this is where I’m at. And if Savoie doesn’t look right in Rochester then we send him back to the Wild to play with Bendon.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
He is getting at least 9 games. If during those 9 games he does not look lost and is playing well at both ends of the ice and is helping us win games, he should not be sent down to Juniors. If he does have struggles than absolutely send him down.

What I have seen so far is no flaws and a constant drive and hounding for the puck. If that continues for the 9 games stretch I do not understand the belief that his body is not ready for the NHL - what do you think is going to happen to his body. His weight is in line with current NHLers in his size range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad