Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Building a winning culture and insulating the young players with some more experienced players is what’s being done right now.
I understand the logic. I don't understand the specific players chosen to bridge the gap.

Sprong and Reimer are gambles that might work out. But Compher and Holl in particular will very likely play like crap and get added to the Chiarot category of regrettable moves.

If you need short term vets, don't settle for awful ones.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yzerman is in an interesting position as it stands now.

Fans have to eliminate the 2017-2019 playoff missed under Holland out of their minds and start Yzerman's time when he arrived, so it's 4 years of No Playoffs, vs the 7 that the Wings currently stand, as those 3 years can't be attributed to Yzerman.

I doubt by the time the Wings do make the PO again that any of Holland's draft picks will be on the roster except for Larkin, and Rasmussen would be a maybe. He is 24, so 3 years left until UFA since he accrued a year towards ufa at 19, but spent his 20 year old season in the A so did not gain a year towards UFA that season. Not looking great for Zadina as a long term wing. I doubt Veleno is a Wing either down the line.

Yzerman gained extra picks in 2019 and 2020 in round 2, but has also moved out all other guys who would be later 20's in Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek who are NHLers.

Right now, the Wings are probably too good a roster to be bottom 5 in the NHL. With the new draft rules, we haven't seen a team move up that high like we did see with Philly/Dal in 2017 or Chicago in 2019.

It's going to take Yzerman longer, if he ever gets the Wings to that point.

He had 3 2nd round picks in 2019 and 2020 drafts. 2 1sts in 2021. 2 2nds in 2022 and 2 1sts and 3nds in 2023, with another extra 1st in 2024.

He's going to need his scouts to pull off a TB when they landed Kuch, Point, Cirelli in rounds 2-3 from 2012 to 2015. At least get 1 key player with those extra picks.

I would not bet any earlier than 2025 for Detroit to return to the PO. Unless Kasper is a really good 2C offensively right off the hop or Evindsson matches Seider's rookie season. They are still a higher end 2C, big minute munching Dman, and a good scoring winger away from being competitive for a PO spot. Cossa needs a solid season in the A after spending almost all of his 1st year pro in the ECHL.

Reactions: lomekian

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
‘Many of the takes in this thread are short-sighted and premature.’

Yes. On both sides.
He’s done the easy part which is tanking for high draft picks and gotten the team to bubble status. Now the hard part begins.
Not a very good start imo given the signings yesterday.
So you thought the team was better with Erne, Oesterle, Hägg, Czarnik and Nedeljkovic?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The guy understands you need to suck first, to ultimately get good. So now he is going with that phase of the Yzerplan :)
You would have expected the sucking as you put in to have occurred from 2020-2022 and even 2023. His wave of draft picks are arriving so he has to insulate them with some quality vets.

Acquiring picks is one step. Scouting and then player development is another step.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
You would have expected the sucking as you put in to have occurred from 2020-2022 and even 2023. His wave of draft picks are arriving so he has to insulate them with some quality vets.

Acquiring picks is one step. Scouting and then player development is another step.
You would think so. Me as Avs fan thought so back in 2014. But things turned out differently.
I think you underestimate the length of the phase. Its not 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: tucker3434

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Definitely getting a desperation vibe from these moves. You dont bring in 5 or 6 new guys if you feel like youre pretty close. Thought it was telling at the draft when the woman point blank asked Yzerman when the Wings were gonna make the playoffs and he couldn't even give a boilerplate semiconfident reply.
Curious to hear Wings fans thoughts on how much longer he will be allowed to flail before ownership makes a change?

Read the post above yours.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yzerman obviously not happy with the team's 24th place finish last year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You would think so. Me as Avs fan thought so back in 2014. But things turned out differently.
I think you underestimate the length of the phase. Its not 2 or 3 years.
Yzerman also opted to dump some guys who could have paired with Larkin to be that older group in Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek, but instead dumped them for assets and then replaced them with his signings over the past 2 off-seasons. Basically the same thing as keeping them except he got assets as those 3 were not needle movers.

But, the Wings clearly lack the high end talent that helps a team move to the next phase.

But, they may be too good to be able to get that talent at the top of the draft barring some NJ luck winning 3 draft lotteries over 6 seasons.

NJ is in a different situation if they are drafting a Zegras/Cozens range in 2019 vs Hughes or in the Mittlestadt/Lias Anderson/ range in 2017.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The forward prospects need work Especially at center.

@JohanFranzenstein disagrees with you and he’s a self-proclaimed knowledgeable Red Wings fan.
We have a deeper center group both rostered and prospects than we've had since the Datsyuk/Zetterberg era.

Quint, you should retract your opinion about Detroit’s center position since you are not a follower of the Red Wings. Johan tells us that it is super deep.

Of course, maybe he’s just talking about quantity rather than quality. :dunno:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
@JohanFranzenstein disagrees with you and he’s a self-proclaimed knowledgeable Red Wings fan.

Quint, you should retract your opinion about Detroit’s center position since you are not a follower of the Red Wings. Johan tells us that it is super deep.

Of course, maybe he’s just talking about quantity rather than quality. :dunno:
I am a follower of the Red Wings.

The bar of post Datsyuk/Zetterberg is a pretty low one.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yzerman wasn't GM then and you know, COVID cups.

Bolts were always coming up short with him as GM and now look where the Red Wings are since he took over heading for I believe 5 straight years no playoffs.

Guess the job ain't so easy when you don't inherit multiple hall of famers.

His GM skills were overhyped because he is Steve Yzerman
Cups don't count now? Why didn't other teams win those years?

Reactions: Curufinwe

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I understand the logic. I don't understand the specific players chosen to bridge the gap.

Sprong and Reimer are gambles that might work out. But Compher and Holl in particular will very likely play like crap and get added to the Chiarot category of regrettable moves.

If you need short term vets, don't settle for awful ones.
I think Compher will be a nice addition to the team.

Going into free agency I would lie if I said Holl and Compher were on my wish list. In all honesty they are 2 of the players that I was really hoping to avoid and the wings ended up getting both….

But the lack of centre depth that this team has is pretty pathetic so it doesn’t help to have an extra centre who’s capable of scoring a few goals. If he replicates his past season then it’s one hell of a contract. I don’t think he will, I think >20G >20A is more reasonable and that alone is a lot of extra help for this paper thin offense

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So you thought the team was better with Erne, Oesterle, Hägg, Czarnik and Nedeljkovic?
Didn't realize the choices were use Oesterle and Erne or sign Compher to a stupid contract w/ term and sign Holl to a dumb contract.

I imagine there were a good number of options besides those 2 false choices that you are creating.

Reactions: jkutswings

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The fact is that it's a lot harder to initiate a rebuild and make strides at the bottom than it is to make the transition to an actual good team.

This offseason is the defining moment for Yzerman. You have to pay more to sign guys if you are a bottom team, so either you have signings like these or you play it safe while your flashy young guys you drafted get used to losing hockey games.

I like this offseason for Yzerman. A lot of these players he's added are guys that have a chip on their shoulders and want to prove them can be more than what people say. All Yzerman needs is for a few of these guys to ascend for this whole free agency to be worth it.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Yzerman literally stated 4 days ago that they are still building the core through drafting and that they are not in a position to "go for it yet."

The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on outsiders opinions of where they feel the Wings should be and what they should be doing versus the reality of how the actual management team feels.

The moves made in the past few days are stopgaps, not game changers.

/thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad