Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s never a good idea to overpay bad players, no matter how much cap space you have. (Holl is a real head scratcher with better and cheaper options available.)
Cap space can be used strategically and always has value especially in a flat cap era.
The amount of mental gymnastics being used to justify the poor deals handed out yesterday doesn’t change that.
That said, none of the deals except Compher is long term. Some of the shine has definitely worn off Yzerman but he hasn’t really handcuffed the team with a terrible long term deal.
The bigger issue is how he gets a fairly mediocre forward group without a true franchise player to the next level.
That issue was never going to be resolved yesterday but it looks like they are stuck in that mushy middle like a lot of other teams.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We are more than 3 years from being a contender ser. Larkin will still be our #1 and if we get draft luck finally there would be our 2. If not Kasper/Danielson might slot in there. Our C situation was an issue a few years ago sure but the future is bright now.

At least 3 but more likely 4 or maybe even 5. Which is fine, this is going to take a while.
So that would be 7 to 9 years of Yzerman as GM and 9 to 11 years of no playoffs.

Again, all academic to me since they are in the East, just interesting to watch

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So that would be 8 or 9 years of Yzerman as GM and 10 or 11 years of no playoffs.

Again, all academic to me since they are in the East, just interesting to watch
Yup. It's gonna take that long to build a powerhouse when you're a destination like Detroit and you're handed a hot mess of a team and prospect pool from Holland. He essentially started from scratch and we've got some amazing building blocks over the last 3 years.

We are also loaded with assets for when the time comes to make trades to fill specific holes in our roster. We have a boatload of prospects and draft picks to work with.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yzerman wasn't GM then and you know, COVID cups.

Bolts were always coming up short with him as GM and now look where the Red Wings are since he took over heading for I believe 5 straight years no playoffs.

Guess the job ain't so easy when you don't inherit multiple hall of famers.

His GM skills were overhyped because he is Steve Yzerman
Lol, this is just a straight up hater post.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Of the three pages in this thread I feel like it’s two pages of people who have been waiting years for any reason to knock Yzerman down from his place in the league. It’s pretty pathetic. Is this carried over hate from when he was a player? Regardless it feels like another pretty big swing and a miss, and I’m not a Detroit fan.

I went to capfriendly to catch up on all of this and because of this thread went straight to the “disaster” that is the Red Wings……and I was left confused. Compher is the only “long” contract at five years. Holl is only three years at 3.4. Chiarot is supposed to be summoning the end of days and he only has three years left at 4.75? Sprong and Ghost are only for one year? Perron and Kubalik only have one year left. There’s only three guys signed past three years from now on the whole roster and they’re currently in their 20’s.

There’s not a single crippling contract on this team. They aren’t remotely in trouble. They still have space and will be getting more space every off season without the cap bump. Even if you don’t like the players signed or think it was generally a waste of time none of them are long term aside from kind of Compher who will be a solid player for them. The cap game is about term. They’re clearly buying time for the young players and surrounding them with guys who can support them and the team without being players who will stand in the way of their growth. No young guy is going to lose his job or have a player in front of him that he can’t at some point beat out.

I think they’re doing a pretty damn good job. Everyone knows the plan, and it makes sense. The idea that Yzerman is on some sort of hot seat is comical. He started from worse than scratch due to bad contracts and doesn’t have the tax breaks anymore, it was always going to take more time.
You hit in on the head. Every one of the people going after him, would likely love him running their team. The system was empty. Completely empty. When you have no lottery luck, it’s going to just take longer. They’re building it on the backend too. Which takes longer but lasts much longer. They’ll be fine.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
18m for 6 players doesn't sound bad to me. Honestly think people are making a big issue over this. Edvinsson will be on his elc for 3 years, seider and Raymond have 1 year remaining on elc. This is actually a good year to see if you can make a little run at a cup.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Oh please. Yzerman has always been one of those guys who received undeserved praise. Back in the 90's when the Wings focused on building a winner Yzerman was relegated to a secondary role while guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Konstantinov were carrying the heavy load. Instead of calling him out his buddies from the hockey media and Hockey Canada started calling him a 2-way player and gave him undeserved awards like the Selke, which turned into even more of a joke of an award with him winning it, and the Conn Smythe. Anyone remembers how much he sucked at the 98 olympics ? Of course you don't, his buddies wouldn't dare to write it. There is a huge difference between a guy like Yzerman and a true winner like Joe Sakic or Sidney Crosby for example.

Yzerman is certainly not on a hot seat, which is why they are slowly turning ito what they were back in the 70s and 80s.
Did Yzerman steal your girlfriend in high school or what? To (poorly) attempt to diminish his playing career is not only a joke, it’s a totally hollow argument you’re pushing. But you’re very good at fake news. Maybe you should have a career in politics?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.

The idea that Ben Chiarot is some kind of defensive nightmare that will destroy your defence core is absolutely absurd.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
18m for 6 players doesn't sound bad to me. Honestly think people are making a big issue over this. Edvinsson will be on his elc for 3 years, seider and Raymond have 1 year remaining on elc. This is actually a good year to see if you can make a little run at a cup.
Run at a cup? With Justin Holl, Compher and Gost?

LoLoL

That team is nowhere near top of the Atlantic, let alone top of the league.

Reactions: Inno

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So the Wings are gonna try to start really competing for a playoff spot, but I don't think anyone, including Yzerman, believes these are key components of a contender. This is more about surrounding your guys with better players. Like, late stage transitional pieces (Filppula, Salo, Carle, B. Boyle). I think we will see a competitive Wings team next year, but true contention still requires some key, very hard to find, pieces.
This is exactly where he's at. Signing players like the bolded and Stralman and Erik Condra. Sometimes, like Stralman, it works out extremely well - sometimes like Erik Condra they get replaced forgotten they were ever on the team.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
People need to really relax. We have an insane young group of talent in: Raymond, Seider, Cossa, Edvinsson, Kasper, Wallinder, Axel Sandin Pellikka, Mazur, Danielson, Buchelnikov, Lombardi, Hanas, Soderblom, and more.

These short term signings don’t mean wings are going to the cup lol they’re creating healthy competition for the prospects to beat out these guys to gain a roster spot. Patience will pay off.

We will be mediocre this year, but have a ton of space and young talent and all our draft picks. Ppl need to chill.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
"the difference between Yzerman and a real winner like..."

Never change hf.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Tell me more about your deep center group. It’s below average roster group.

At what point are you projecting this to be a successful rebuild?
Larkin
Copp
Compher
Veleno/Fischer

With Kasper and Danielson projecting as top 6ers.

From 2019-2021 we've iced some combination of

Larkin
Nielsen
Gagner
Glendening
Ehn
Filppula
Athanasiou
Namestnikov

I reiterate. If you don't follow the Red Wings, you shouldn't comment on the makeup of the roster.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is exactly where he's at. Signing players like the bolded and Stralman and Erik Condra. Sometimes, like Stralman, it works out extremely well - sometimes like Erik Condra they get replaced forgotten they were ever on the team.
To that point, I literally forgot Condra existed until you mentioned him. Although, in Point's case, he more usurped Stamkos's spot as the #1, at least in the playoffs.

Yzerman has to hit on a pick like that very soon, if he hasn't already. We knew Point was gonna be good pretty quick, but we didn't know he was going to be a top-10ish center in the league, or even have that potential, until probably his 2nd or 3rd year. So it's possible there's a player like this already in Detroit's system. Yzerman is really good at figuring out which prospects have something to be unlocked. Most early projections had Kucherov as a 30-30 guy... then he looked more like a 40-40 guy... then all of a sudden he was arguably the best winger in the league.

(Note: Craig Button tells the story about how Yzerman and Al Murray were actually on a trip to scout Morgan Reilly when they first saw Point, and from that game on, Yzerman was adamant that TB had to draft him.)

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
What year of the yzerplan is this? It's a lot tougher job when you don't stumble upon 5 superstars through the lottery/draft
Hab fans are going to learn that rebuilds don’t happen over night.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To that point, I literally forgot Condra existed until you mentioned him. Although, in Point's case, he more usurped Stamkos's spot as the #1, at least in the playoffs.

Yzerman has to hit on a pick like that very soon, if he hasn't already. We knew Point was gonna be good pretty quick, but we didn't know he was going to be a top-10ish center in the league, or even have that potential, until probably his 2nd or 3rd year. So it's possible there's a player like this already in Detroit's system. Yzerman is really good at figuring out which prospects have something to be unlocked.

(Note: Craig Button tells the story about how Yzerman and Al Murray were actually on a trip to scout Morgan Reilly when they first saw Point, and from that game on, Yzerman was adamant that TB had to draft him.)
I immediately edited the point out because I didn't want to speak out of ignorance, I didn't know who he usurped.
To the point if you go through Yzerman's 4th and 5th year at Tampa you will see these types of moves were also done, but that team was also finishing ahead of the Wings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The better teams in the Atlantic are almost certainly all going to be worse in the regular season than last year, with the exception of Florida. Good year for the young players in Detroit to see if they can gut their way into a playoff spot.

Reactions: EXTRAS

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I immediately edited the point out because I didn't want to speak out of ignorance, I didn't know who he usurped.
To the point if you go through Yzerman's 4th and 5th year at Tampa you will see these types of moves were also done, but that team was also finishing ahead of the Wings.
Yzerman had better building blocks to work with in TB. Mainly Hedman, and to a lesser degree, Stamkos (only because Stamkos dealt with injuries for much of Yzerman's tenure). So TB was like 5 years away from seriously competing whereas Detroit was a few years behind that, without the legitimate option to bottom out. TB, you'll recall, tanked hard the year they got Drouin, who they turned into Sergachev.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad