Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
To that point, I literally forgot Condra existed until you mentioned him. Although, in Point's case, he more usurped Stamkos's spot as the #1, at least in the playoffs.

Yzerman has to hit on a pick like that very soon, if he hasn't already. We knew Point was gonna be good pretty quick, but we didn't know he was going to be a top-10ish center in the league, or even have that potential, until probably his 2nd or 3rd year. So it's possible there's a player like this already in Detroit's system. Yzerman is really good at figuring out which prospects have something to be unlocked. Most early projections had Kucherov as a 30-30 guy... then he looked more like a 40-40 guy... then all of a sudden he was arguably the best winger in the league.

(Note: Craig Button tells the story about how Yzerman and Al Murray were actually on a trip to scout Morgan Reilly when they first saw Point, and from that game on, Yzerman was adamant that TB had to draft him.)
Adamant? I don’t think Button knows the meaning of the word if Yzerman waited until the 3rd round. It’s closer to Holland saying if we thought Datsyuk was going to be that good we would have drafted him in the first round.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I think the signings are fine. Good enough to make a run at being a playoff team. Even if there is little to no chance at a cup run, being a tougher team to play against will start changing the atmosphere in the dressing room. Pressure the prospects into performance and let them go through some cycles with veteran leadership. Being competitive from where we were last year doesn't happen with the flick of a switch. There needs to be a couple year transition, and on paper that looks like what Yzerman is doing.

Poor timing with the UFA crop, but the market is the market. There is no use in dead cap space unless you can turn it into playable assets at this stage of the rebuild process...retaining for picks isn't going to payoff in time. We are already almost a decade into sucking.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
All those players they signed yesterday, giving no assets for, are all significant upgrades. Who cares if they over spent. All their significant prospects are under 22. Now they have to compete for spots.

Ghost replaces Oesterle
Compher replaces Suter
Holl replaces Hagg
Sprong replaces Chiasson
Fischer replaces Erne
Reimer replaces Neds
Lyon replaces Hellberg

Those are significant upgrades. O’Reilly and Killorn contracts were crazy to go there. Assuming they were even looked at by those players. Now, as the young players start coming, they have a better supporting cast. You always have to pay. Anyone pretending these aren’t significant upgrades is nuts. You can’t have 4-5 21 year olds playing on your NHL roster. That’s just ridiculous. They’d get destroyed and that’s not how you develop kids.
Well this is disingenuous. Who replaces Bertuzzi? Who replaces Hronek?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Adamant? I don’t think Button knows the meaning of the word if Yzerman waited until the 3rd round. It’s closer to Holland saying if we thought Datsyuk was going to be that good we would have drafted him in the first round.
His words were, paraphrasing, "Al Murray told me he believed he'd be fired if Tampa didn't end up with Brayden Point." He then said Al Murray was joking, but that he knew he had to make sure TB drafted the player. Thus, trading up just one spot in the 3rd round to draft him.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
How do you improve a team short-term without compromising it's long-term outlook? Raising the level of internal competition is one way. These signings might not be elite world beaters, but they're a hell of a lot better than what SY had. The young guys/prospects now have to fight harder for a spot, and it just raises everybody's level of commitment. How this a bad thing, I do not know.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
As a Wings fan I don't have a problem with the signings. I get his motivation and he'll likely keep turning players into draft picks all the while the team gets harder to play against and more abrasive.

You're fooling yourself if you think they are ready to compete for a cup. Yzerman continues to turn available cash/cap space into draft picks.

Your team will be giving us your draft picks for these "joke" signings by TDL. Then who gets the last laugh?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As a Wings fan I don't have a problem with the signings. I get his motivation and he'll likely keep turning players into draft picks all the while the team gets harder to play against and more abrasive.

You're fooling yourself if you think they are ready to compete for a cup. Yzerman continues to turn available cash/cap space into draft picks.

Your team will be giving us your draft picks for these "joke" signings by TDL. Then who gets the last laugh?

Yeah I'm sure teams will be lining up to trade for JT Compher and his $5.1M cap hit for the next 5 years.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Larkin
Copp
Compher
Veleno/Fischer

With Kasper and Danielson projecting as top 6ers.

From 2019-2021 we've iced some combination of

Larkin
Nielsen
Gagner
Glendening
Ehn
Filppula
Athanasiou
Namestnikov

I reiterate. If you don't follow the Red Wings, you shouldn't comment on the makeup of the roster.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think Stevie is having a hard time bringing players to Detroit can be the only explanation of his signings. These are depth players getting too much term and dollars. This is what Benning did to Vancouver. Detroit needs to stick to the plan and develop talent and make it a place players wanna come again.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah I'm sure teams will be lining up to trade for JT Compher and his $5.1M cap hit for the next 5 years.
You think Yzerman is giving Compher 5 years to move him? He's obviously talking about the other half dozen signings Stevie has made...

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not a Detroit fan, but from an outsider perspective I think Yzerman's done a decent job.

Ken Holland didn't leave much behind in terms of prospects, and the bigger ones like Zadina haven't developed. That's forced the "Yzerplan" to turn to free agency, adding tons of veteran players the last two off-seasons: Compher, Copp, Gostisbehere, Perron, etc.

Other than a couple of swings-and-misses (Chiarot), the problem as I see it is the Red Wings forward group. Other than Dylan Larkin, the club is filled with those "middle-6" type of forwards, and definitely need another top line talent. If Yzerman were to add a DeBrincat-type talent, I think the consensus on his work my change.

Reactions: WaW

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is that why Nashville added so much?

They added so many pieces because they had that many contracts they could add.

I think it's telling that people are getting scared of Detroit's burgeoning prospect pool when they keep trying to put down the GM and act like he's some doddering fool... when it's clear as day that they're simply buying time for the young guns to force their way in and not handing it to them like Edmonton did in the past.

People just have the patience of a god damn hummingbird here. The Wings had to do a full tear-down without being able to resell any of the scrap for good salvage value.
Spot on. People need to look back at Edmonton, Colorado, Buffalo and others, who had to move their young players because they either ruined them by not developing them, or had to trade them away because all they ever did was lose and were so tired of it. Those rebuilds lasted a decade or longer.

Carolina did it the right way as an example. You build from the backend out if you’re not winning lotteries for franchise players. Tampa did that in many respects. Remember the crap Yzerman took for Girardi and Coburn? Same as he’s taking for Chiarot and Holl.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Well thought out response. Kick rocks, jabroni.

Hey, you’re complaining about non-Red Wing fans posting about the Red Wings on a non-Red Wing forum. Maybe go back to your Red Wing forum so you can talk to fellow “knowledgeable” Red Wing fans about where you are in this multi-year Yzerplan.

Trade forums is fair game for all fans to comment about Red Wing signings. Sorry that this is so upsetting to you.

Hot Wings

Mar 1, 2023
Has there been a rebuilding team in the last several years with worse lottery luck than the Wings?

- Worst season by a post-lockout team in 19-20 and they end up with…4th overall. This rebuild obviously looks much different with Stutzle (who the Wings reportedly had on the top of their board) instead of Raymond.

- They haven’t moved up in the lottery once since SY took over. They’ve either stayed pat or moved down.

Many of the takes in this thread are short-sighted and premature.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Has there been a rebuilding team in the last several years with worse lottery luck than the Wings?

- Worst season by a post-lockout team in 19-20 and they end up with…4th overall. This rebuild obviously looks much different with Stutzle (who the Wings reportedly had on the top of their board) instead of Raymond.

- They haven’t moved up in the lottery once since SY took over. They’ve either stayed pat or moved down.

Many of the takes in this thread are short-sighted and premature.

‘Many of the takes in this thread are short-sighted and premature.’

Yes. On both sides.
He’s done the easy part which is tanking for high draft picks and gotten the team to bubble status. Now the hard part begins.
Not a very good start imo given the signings yesterday.

Reactions: jkutswings

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Detroit has missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons. I suppose you could say the rebuild started 4 years ago but not many players have graduated to the NHL club since last you made the playoffs.

A pity that you didn’t collect more big pieces while tanking. This UFA infusion looks like a signal that Detroit wants to start competing and build a winning culture (but no more premier 1st rounders coming).

I guess my question to you is do you have enough prospect talent in the pipeline to make this a very successful rebuild?
What Holland/Ilitch did was part of Yzerman’s plan? I don’t think I understand what you are getting at.

Take a look at Hollands drafting for his last 5 years. Yzerman walked into bare prospect cupboards and not a lot in the NHL. The Wings unloaded everything for “the streak”.

Yzerman is building starting from the defense because they take more time to develop and I think they have an excellent group under 23 years old.

The forward prospects need work Especially at center. They need another C as good or better than Larkin. Maybe Danielson is that guy, maybe they need to keep looking. But they still have time and will still have some good draft picks coming.

These UFAs aren’t meant to win but they are on short contracts for reasonable prices which will return more draft capital at trade dead lines.

The Wings will do with their prospects will do like they did in Tampa (almost like it’s a plan Yzerman has seen work before). They will take their time and most of them will make a stop in the AHL. The prospect pipeline will start to fill now and the Wings will be in a good position to make trades when it’s time to win.

This is what True North is talking about when all the whiners in Winnipeg cry about a full rebuild. It doesn’t happen over night, it takes a lot longer than all the prospect pumpers think. You just can’t put a bunch of 20 year olds in the line up and say we are ready to win now.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I guess he feels they were close enough to a WC spot that by signing some vets and depth, they can get in while still developing their young corps.
He also has a promise to keep with larkin and not waste his prime years.
The thing which is an impediment is the term on some of those deals,
but the cap is going up within a couple of years

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Yzerplan
FTGfeYx.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad