Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yzerman literally stated 4 days ago that they are still building the core through drafting and that they are not in a position to "go for it yet."

The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on outsiders opinions of where they feel the Wings should be and what they should be doing versus the reality of how the actual management team feels.

The moves made in the past few days are stopgaps, not game changers.

/thread
How is a 5 year contract a stop gap ? Most if the signings were not stop gap ones . Devils trading for Miller is a prime example of a stop gap . Cheap veteran with experience for cheap as possible with 1 year left on his contract to hold a spot down until the kids are ready . There’s were way better options out there than what Yzerman chose to do .

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yzerman literally stated 4 days ago that they are still building the core through drafting and that they are not in a position to "go for it yet."

The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on outsiders opinions of where they feel the Wings should be and what they should be doing versus the reality of how the actual management team feels.

The moves made in the past few days are stopgaps, not game changers.

/thread
They currently have one second line and three third lines. Trading for at least one first line player is not going all in, it's making the product watchable from an entertainment (and thus business) aspect.

He's free to do what he wants. I'm free to think he's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: NoelVilla and Hutz

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This isn't about cap flexibility. Most of these deals will expire before there's any real players to eat the cap.

But signing a collection of low event depth guys is a great way to advertise that nobody should watch your product for at least another year or two. Not to mention create a logjam that would require several injuries before a single new prospect could get even a cup of coffee with the big club.

If his plan is to take over a decade of only using the draft for any permanent improvements, it's a horrible strategy in terms of entertainment. I'd much rather watch the losses if it's on the backs of the kids with a style that shows reason to hope, instead of 82 rock fights a year with a bunch of nobody veterans.

There's a difference between showing patience and making a sloth look fast. After a step forward last summer, this one is off to a dreadful start.
But the players are people too, do you really think that it's advantageous for them to get caved in every few nights? What does that do to their confidence? What does that do to their desire to come to the rink? The season is a long enough grind as it is, do you think they really want to come to work every day expecting to lose? With the approach he's taking, these high picks from the past few years know that they have to earn it, and once they do, they will expect to win and will know that they have to play hard to do it. It's a much better path, both as people and players.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Great! So, take on cap dumps from other teams, along with the picks/prospects that come with them

That way they're able to fill out the roster, while increasing the number of assets gathered

Cap space is an asset, and Yzerman is giving that asset away on mediocrity without receiving anything in return
That’s one way, or you could accumulate assets by signing depth guys to insulate your young players, hope that you can increase their value by giving them bigger roles on your team, and then move them at the deadline when returns are highest. Perron, Kubalik, Sprong, Fischer, Ghost, Reimer all ufas next year, can be moved at the deadline for assets. Signing a player in free agency allows you to sort of control the type of player you bring in, if you see them as a fit for your system or whatever the reason. Taking on a bad contract for an asset doesn’t allow you to chose who your bringing in to play the role you are looking for. I’m not a Detroit fan, but I don’t see anything wrong with the way Detroit is doing their rebuild. I’m a Canuck fan so my expectations are pretty low

Reactions: lomekian

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But the players are people too, do you really think that it's advantageous for them to get caved in every few nights? What does that do to their confidence? What does that do to their desire to come to the rink? The season is a long enough grind as it is, do you think they really want to come to work every day expecting to lose? With the approach he's taking, these high picks from the past few years know that they have to earn it, and once they do, they will expect to win and will know that they have to play hard to do it. It's a much better path, both as people and players.
I'm not asking anybody to be in over their head. I was at the 9-2 loss to Arizona where they didn't even belong on the ice, and I don't want that to happen again.

But that veteran mentoring and shelter for the kids does not have to come from half a roster who don't belong above the fourth line or third pairing.

Go get at least one or two GOOD players, then fill out the depth. Be a good mix of talent and grind instead of just low event nonsense. Cough up a draft pick or two, along with a player or prospect, and land somebody worth putting on the ice that still fits the timeline. Between rumors on Nylander, Debrincat, Lindholm, and several others, you can't tell me there was zero chance that a determined GM could find a trade to be made at some point this summer.

I'm totally on board with most of the team coming from the draft. But treating every last pick as though the magic beans will one day turn into Gretzky, so you have to splurge on a crappy free agent class in order for all other assets to remain untouched, is just a waste of time (and eventually assets, when statistics say that several of those magic beans will underperform or wash out altogether).

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Kostin should prove worth 2m.

Outside that these moves weren't good.

Sprong was a good deal. I don't have a problem with Reimer either.

I'm kinda warming up to the Ghost deal, mainly because we could probably turn around and flip him to somebody at 50% retention at the TDL.

Don't like the Holl and Compher deals, but they realistically don't hurt us long term.

... I just dunno why we even signed Christian Fischer.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Didn't realize the choices were use Oesterle and Erne or sign Compher to a stupid contract w/ term and sign Holl to a dumb contract.

I imagine there were a good number of options besides those 2 false choices that you are creating.
The problem is a good number of those options are just that, imaginary.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I really want to see what HF GM's can come up with.

Let us Wings fans pick it apart.

----

Am I Thrilled?

No, but he went out and filled needs. You may not like the player, but remember;

All UFA players choose where they go. Hell, Detroit could have offered $7 million to Duchene, and he has the right to say no.

At some point, you bite the bullet, as long as you have to cap and it doesn't screw it up going forward.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Oh please. Yzerman has always been one of those guys who received undeserved praise. Back in the 90's when the Wings focused on building a winner Yzerman was relegated to a secondary role while guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Konstantinov were carrying the heavy load. Instead of calling him out his buddies from the hockey media and Hockey Canada started calling him a 2-way player and gave him undeserved awards like the Selke, which turned into even more of a joke of an award with him winning it, and the Conn Smythe. Anyone remembers how much he sucked at the 98 olympics ? Of course you don't, his buddies wouldn't dare to write it. There is a huge difference between a guy like Yzerman and a true winner like Joe Sakic or Sidney Crosby for example.

Yzerman is certainly not on a hot seat, which is why they are slowly turning ito what they were back in the 70s and 80s.
You have to be the single biggest f***ing moron on the face of the earth

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yzer just needs to make the post season to get the media & fanbase off his back until the full rebuild completes. Obviously he should have pulled the Hawks style full rebuild from day one but after 5-6 abysmal seasons, ownership probably wanted a more accelerated rebuild.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.

Best defense is never leaving the O-zone.

I'm dure that's what SY was thinking.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You have to be the single biggest f***ing moron on the face of the earth
I didn't realize the extent to which Yzerman lives rent free in opposing fans heads

Like I know there was a chunk of time when TB fans/ Yzerman supporters banged the "Yzerman is so good!" drum like ~8 years ago or w/e and ppl were annoyed and now are eager to dunk on any move that isn't obviously great from the moment it is reported, but apparently this goes way deeper even back into his playing days. Wild stuff, really. He is clearly on that level of Sakic, Francis, etc. as a guy who even as a rival fan you have boatloads of respect for and cemented his status as one of the best players of his generation, but damn I guess not for everyone. As a Wings fan, I used to have a healthy hate for the Avs when both teams were great in the late 90s and early 2000s, but you'd never catch me having a bad word to say about Sakic. Some guys are above that level of petty fanbase mud slinging bullshit.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oh please. Yzerman has always been one of those guys who received undeserved praise. Back in the 90's when the Wings focused on building a winner Yzerman was relegated to a secondary role while guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Konstantinov were carrying the heavy load. Instead of calling him out his buddies from the hockey media and Hockey Canada started calling him a 2-way player and gave him undeserved awards like the Selke, which turned into even more of a joke of an award with him winning it, and the Conn Smythe. Anyone remembers how much he sucked at the 98 olympics ? Of course you don't, his buddies wouldn't dare to write it. There is a huge difference between a guy like Yzerman and a true winner like Joe Sakic or Sidney Crosby for example.

Yzerman is certainly not on a hot seat, which is why they are slowly turning ito what they were back in the 70s and 80s.

He’s in the top 20 all time for playoff goals. He’s not a secondary player. What a ridiculous take. Cool pic though. Exumer is awesome.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.
No he didn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad