Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Definitely getting a desperation vibe from these moves. You dont bring in 5 or 6 new guys if you feel like youre pretty close. Thought it was telling at the draft when the woman point blank asked Yzerman when the Wings were gonna make the playoffs and he couldn't even give a boilerplate semiconfident reply.
Curious to hear Wings fans thoughts on how much longer he will be allowed to flail before ownership makes a change?
He's nowhere remotely close to being on the hot seat, most wings fans are fine with what he's done. Not a single free agent acquisition has any effect on what's gonna happen when Seider/Edvinsson/Kasper enter their prime.

Plus he drafts like a boss. If you step back you can see what they're building here and it's a monster.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.
Working overtime to misunderstand

These vets will
(a) mentor the kids,
(b) shelter them sometimes, and
(c) most of them will be flipped for futures by this spring, or next
A useful approach for one more developing season

More confidence in Stevie Y’s strategy, than the wise guys in the cheap seats

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He's nowhere remotely close to being on the hot seat, most wings fans are fine with what he's done. Not a single free agent acquisition has any effect on what's gonna happen when Seider/Edvinsson/Kasper enter their prime.

Plus he drafts like a boss. If you step back you can see what they're building here and it's a monster.
Well, that's why I asked. So what are you thinking is the timeframe? 2 or 3 more years?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Thanks for the input jackass. Worry about your team and let Wings fans worry about the Wings.

LMAO!

Hey, we’re a big community here and we’re worried about one of our fan bases. For Detroit, when Andrew Copp is your second biggest contract, it looks like things are not panning out. We’re here if you ever want to discuss the failed rebuild of Detroit.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Definitely getting a desperation vibe from these moves. You dont bring in 5 or 6 new guys if you feel like youre pretty close. Thought it was telling at the draft when the woman point blank asked Yzerman when the Wings were gonna make the playoffs and he couldn't even give a boilerplate semiconfident reply.
Curious to hear Wings fans thoughts on how much longer he will be allowed to flail before ownership makes a change?
Is that why Nashville added so much?

They added so many pieces because they had that many contracts they could add.

I think it's telling that people are getting scared of Detroit's burgeoning prospect pool when they keep trying to put down the GM and act like he's some doddering fool... when it's clear as day that they're simply buying time for the young guns to force their way in and not handing it to them like Edmonton did in the past.

People just have the patience of a god damn hummingbird here. The Wings had to do a full tear-down without being able to resell any of the scrap for good salvage value.

Reactions: gprep93

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Is that why Nashville added so much?

They added so many pieces because they had that many contracts they could add.

I think it's telling that people are getting scared of Detroit's burgeoning prospect pool when they keep trying to put down the GM and act like he's some doddering fool... when it's clear as day that they're simply buying time for the young guns to force their way in and not handing it to them like Edmonton did in the past.

People just have the patience of a god damn hummingbird here. The Wings had to do a full tear-down without being able to resell any of the scrap for good salvage value.
Nashville added 3 pieces, a center, a wing and a defenseman. And we are in year 1 of our reboot. So not exactly comparable.

Detroit is in what, year 7? Hummingbirds have a 5 year lifespan, so....

And being in the East, Preds have nothing to "fear" no matter how good Detroit eventually gets. My query was academic

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Of the three pages on this thread I feel like it’s two pages of people who have been waiting years for any reason to knock Yzerman down from his place in the league. It’s pretty pathetic. Is this carried over hate from when he was a player? Regardless it feels like another pretty big swing and a miss, and I’m not a Detroit fan.

I went to capfriendly to catch up on all of this and because of this thread went straight to the “disaster” that is the Red Wings……and I was left confused. Compher is the only “long” contract at five years. Holl is only three years at 3.4. Chiarot is supposed to be summoning the end of days and he only has three years left at 4.75? Sprong and Ghost are only for one year? Perron and Kubalik only have one year left. There’s only three guys signed past three years from now on the whole roster and they’re currently in their 20’s.

There’s not a single crippling contract on this team. They aren’t remotely in trouble. They still have space and will be getting more space every off season without the cap bump. Even if you don’t like the players signed or think it was generally a waste of time none of them are long term aside from kind of Compher who will be a solid player for them. The cap game is about term. They’re clearly buying time for the young players and surrounding them with guys who can support them and the team without being players who will stand in the way of their growth. No young guy is going to lose his job or have a player in front of him that he can’t at some point beat out.

I think they’re doing a pretty damn good job. Everyone knows the plan, and it makes sense. The idea that Yzerman is on some sort of hot seat is comical. He started from worse than scratch due to bad contracts and doesn’t have the tax breaks anymore, it was always going to take more time.
Oh please. Yzerman has always been one of those guys who received undeserved praise. Back in the 90's when the Wings focused on building a winner Yzerman was relegated to a secondary role while guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Konstantinov were carrying the heavy load. Instead of calling him out his buddies from the hockey media and Hockey Canada started calling him a 2-way player and gave him undeserved awards like the Selke, which turned into even more of a joke of an award with him winning it, and the Conn Smythe. Anyone remembers how much he sucked at the 98 olympics ? Of course you don't, his buddies wouldn't dare to write it. There is a huge difference between a guy like Yzerman and a true winner like Joe Sakic or Sidney Crosby for example.

Yzerman is certainly not on a hot seat, which is why they are slowly turning ito what they were back in the 70s and 80s.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He’s a pretty average GM imo. Not the worst out there but also not the best. People saying these bad signings don’t matter because the Wings have lots of cap space sound a lot like fans of other rebuilding teams that found out that bad contracts really do have a big impact.
Except they don't affect us in the long term.
Signing Abdelkader to a 7 year deal that needs to be bought out is the type of move that has an impact. Signing a D to play in your lineup for 2-3 seasons while your players develop is a rebuilding move.

Compher's deal doesn't make sense to me but it won't really matter because him and Larkin are the only players signed 4 years from now, it could easily be navigated around if it's awful.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This isn't a deep analysis but Detroit has a 23 player roster and about $10 m of cap space this year. They have 2 first round picks next year. They can moves vets with expiring contracts at the deadline for more young assets as well.

The Eastern Conference in general and the Division (with Buffalo & Ottawa) has a lot of young, upcoming teams with potential, so its going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
takes a look at capfriendly

Reiner, sprong and Ghost 1 year--filling spots--they are there killing time till more kids are ready

BItCHING about Kostin will be biting you in the ass

The 5 year deal for JT is something to question and Holl is a D man and will be paid to get killed on most nights

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Kostin, Sprong and Reimer I like - everything else is trash.

Yzerman has no idea what he’s doing. He’s not a good GM. He inherited a great situation and a top level prospect pool. He gets far too much credit for Tampa.
I beg to differ.

The roster last year was an absolute tire fire. It has been for the past few seasons.

Drafting and developing takes time, this is not an overnight process.

Filling the roster with NHL caliber players is exactly what has been done from the signings last July 1st to this July 1.

Are some of the players signed overpaid? 100% yes. Did I spit my coffee everywhere and smash my laptop when I read they signed Holl? 100% yes. Can they afford Hill and Copp and Compher at their term and AAV. 100% yes.

Building a winning culture and insulating the young players with some more experienced players is what’s being done right now.

Kasper, Ed, Berg, Raymond, Seider, Wallinder, Ajo, Mazur, Lombardi and co are not ready to take those strides yet and help push this team over the hump. Having some actual NHL talent to help teach them how to be pros and relieve pressure off the young développing (hopeful future stars) is exactly what these signings are about.

If a kid can’t outplay Fischer or Lindstrom and force their way into the line up, then they need more seasoning in an inferior league.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I think the major issues with the Yzerplan is bad draft lottery luck and moves that don’t show direction or building towards an identity.

It’s insane that the Wings haven’t landed a 1st or 2nd overall pick through this stretch. That just sucks.

Next, Yzerman seems to spend too much in FA rather than making smart trades that will make them competitive in the near future. He gets great value in his trades mostly, but he tends to spend in FA rather than trading for these pieces. I’m an Avs fan so I can mainly see it through their success. Where is the trade for the legit 2C (ie Kadri)? Instead he signs Copp and Compher who are very low end 2Cs at best. Where’s the trade for a top D man (ie Toews)? Chiarot, Holl instead? Granted, they Walman is a great find. Trade all this draft capital and prospect talent for something more sure.

Lastly, what is the identity they’re building towards? Seider is great, Larkin is very good (he’s a very high end 2C, low end 1C imo). They have solid young talent. But who are they? What is Red Wing hockey besides mediocrity?

I guess I just don’t get the “plan” of the Yzerplan.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
He's trying to come out of the rebuild too soon...never grabbed his superstar #1 center in the draft when they bottomed out. Never got a Stutzle, or a Hughes. And now they're on their way back up.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
LMAO!

Hey, we’re a big community here and we’re worried about one of our fan bases. For Detroit, when Andrew Copp is your second contract, it looks like things are not panning out. We’re here if you ever want to discuss the failed rebuild of Detroit.
After 4 seasons the rebuild is a fail? I think you are unpatient. From SY 1st rounders are only two playing in the NHL the rest is developing. Some people say a proper rebuild takes 10 years so we have to wait a bit longer, Do you have an example where a rebuild was much faster, successful and sustainable, not only one or two play off apperiances and not starting a rebuild again?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oh please. Yzerman has always been one of those guys who received undeserved praise. Back in the 90's when the Wings focused on building a winner Yzerman was relegated to a secondary role while guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Konstantinov were carrying the heavy load. Instead of calling him out his buddies from the hockey media and Hockey Canada started calling him a 2-way player and gave him undeserved awards like the Selke, which turned into even more of a joke of an award with him winning it, and the Conn Smythe. Anyone remembers how much he sucked at the 98 olympics ? Of course you don't, his buddies wouldn't dare to write it. There is a huge difference between a guy like Yzerman and a true winner like Joe Sakic or Sidney Crosby for example.

Yzerman is certainly not on a hot seat, which is why they are slowly turning ito what they were back in the 70s and 80s.
Lol I was around for ALL of that. Thanks for showing exactly what I meant. People don’t like it when others get talked about in revered tones like Yzerman has. Ironically the same tones as Sakic. Fans who felt some players got accolades they didn’t deserve as players carry over the grudge into their careers as gm’s and then dis them any way they can as gm’s. Or some fans just didn’t like hearing about the job he did in Tampa because they feel Tampa cheated so they pounce on every move he makes in Detroit as some sort of proof when there’s nothing there to really criticize.

Sakic and Yzerman were my favorite players in the early 90’s, and you trying to say one was significantly better than the other even then is comical. They were at a very similar level as players, and Sakic had a ton of help too.

But this is off toptic. Point is, people find some pretty petty reasons to clown the Yzerman approach when it seems to make a lot of sense. Many better players aren’t going to sign there until the team is better, and the ones that would sign there now would’ve wanted more term.….all of which is pretty irrelevant because you don‘t really build your team through free agency. You compliment what you have with it, which is what they’re pretty clearly doing. They did a good job of following the plan yesterday and nothing they’ve done the last two years hurts them moving forward.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Yeah the hype around him now officially needs to die. He's a below average GM and in fact maybe a terrible GM. The mental gymnastics I see defending his every bad move are a level of absurdity and leniency no other GM in history has been granted.

People still defending him and acting like there's some master plan are just wrong. Detroit seems like the most directionless team in the league right now and their core hasn't been bolstered at all.

Formally they were in the convo with the Buffalo and Ottawa's of the world, now they look desolate.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

So when did Grand Master Y kick your dog?

On his behalf I’d like to send you milk and cookies to make up for any hard feelings he might’ve begrudged upon you.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Who are the 1C and 2C in 3 years?

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
LMAO!

Hey, we’re a big community here and we’re worried about one of our fan bases. For Detroit, when Andrew Copp is your second contract, it looks like things are not panning out. We’re here if you ever want to discuss the failed rebuild of Detroit.
It's been 4 years. Did people actually expect Yzerman to come in and perform a miracle to make us contenders again?

Moritz Seider is on track to be a top 10 defenseman in the league sooner rather than later. We have a deeper center group both rostered and prospects than we've had since the Datsyuk/Zetterberg era.

But it's a failed rebuild I guess. May as well ship Mo, Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, Kasper, Danielson and ASP out.

I swear hfboards is more full of mouthbreathers than reddit sometimes.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.

I feel sorry for us too. Until your post, I had no idea that Seider and Walman didn't exist anymore.

God save us, Maatta is our #1 dman according to this random HFBoards poster. It must be true, because no one is ever mistaken on the internet!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think people are expecting the more quick turn around that he had in Tampa. He doesn't have a Stamkos and Hedman to build around this time. It will take a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad