Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
He treated Vrana like crap and had a few bad gambles, but he has to ice a roster that isn't 18 and 19 year old kids.
Detroit fans, what are your expectations for Elmer Soderblom this season?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What year of the yzerplan is this? It's a lot tougher job when you don't stumble upon 5 superstars through the lottery/draft

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s a pretty average GM imo. Not the worst out there but also not the best. People saying these bad signings don’t matter because the Wings have lots of cap space sound a lot like fans of other rebuilding teams that found out that bad contracts really do have a big impact.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.
All those players they signed yesterday, giving no assets for, are all significant upgrades. Who cares if they over spent. All their significant prospects are under 22. Now they have to compete for spots.

Ghost replaces Oesterle
Compher replaces Suter
Holl replaces Hagg
Sprong replaces Chiasson
Fischer replaces Erne
Reimer replaces Neds
Lyon replaces Hellberg

Those are significant upgrades. O’Reilly and Killorn contracts were crazy to go there. Assuming they were even looked at by those players. Now, as the young players start coming, they have a better supporting cast. You always have to pay. Anyone pretending these aren’t significant upgrades is nuts. You can’t have 4-5 21 year olds playing on your NHL roster. That’s just ridiculous. They’d get destroyed and that’s not how you develop kids.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He’s a pretty average GM imo. Not the worst out there but also not the best. People saying these bad signings don’t matter because the Wings have lots of cap space sound a lot like fans of other rebuilding teams that found out that bad contracts really do have a big impact.
They have nearly 40 mil in cap space for next season (assuming flat cap) and many ELC guys still to come.
Honestly they have to worry more about staying above the cap floor than under the ceiling.

Reactions: gprep93

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Cap space is pretty valuable and Detroit lacks high end talent up front.

It’s not just going to become available for free.

They have ten million right now. They're shedding off 27 million next year of guys who will be fairly easy to replace (from what I've been hearing because we have no upper end talent). They still have oodles of room to add a top end piece and now they actually have enough legit NHL depth they could deal someone of note and it wouldn't tank their team.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yzerman lacking creativity to make good trades. Instead he's resorted to the tell tale sign that a GM is worried about his job by filling roster spots with overpaid free agents.
This is coming from a franchise who has never won a cup, have been poorly managed for decades.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This isn't about cap flexibility. Most of these deals will expire before there's any real players to eat the cap.

But signing a collection of low event depth guys is a great way to advertise that nobody should watch your product for at least another year or two. Not to mention create a logjam that would require several injuries before a single new prospect could get even a cup of coffee with the big club.

If his plan is to take over a decade of only using the draft for any permanent improvements, it's a horrible strategy in terms of entertainment. I'd much rather watch the losses if it's on the backs of the kids with a style that shows reason to hope, instead of 82 rock fights a year with a bunch of nobody veterans.

There's a difference between showing patience and making a sloth look fast. After a step forward last summer, this one is off to a dreadful start.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Silly me thinking they did a good job signing a bunch of depth guys who are going to be able to support their young guys as they grow into NHL players. This isn't Yzerman trying to win a Cup here lol

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Stevie-Y's been working in the summer toward a degree from the James Elmer Benning School of Management.

Welcome to the "Mushy" middle Detroit.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holland left Detroit in really awful shape. He absolutely FUBAR’d the place. Yzerman inherited a real disaster in every sense of the word.

But he’s not really done a good job either. He hasn’t had the lottery luck he would probably like or that he probably needs.

I think Detroit would be better off finishing last place the next couple of years, to be completely honest. It seems he’s made these signings that seem to guarantee 80-something point finishes, but not as good of a chance to get lottery wins or land a few studs.

Holland left the place in such bad shape that they probably shouldn’t have had any sustainable success before about 2026 anyway. Attainable maybe? Sustainable? No.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Of the three pages in this thread I feel like it’s two pages of people who have been waiting years for any reason to knock Yzerman down from his place in the league. It’s pretty pathetic. Is this carried over hate from when he was a player? Regardless it feels like another pretty big swing and a miss, and I’m not a Detroit fan.

I went to capfriendly to catch up on all of this and because of this thread went straight to the “disaster” that is the Red Wings……and I was left confused. Compher is the only “long” contract at five years. Holl is only three years at 3.4. Chiarot is supposed to be summoning the end of days and he only has three years left at 4.75? Sprong and Ghost are only for one year? Perron and Kubalik only have one year left. There’s only three guys signed past three years from now on the whole roster and they’re currently in their 20’s.

There’s not a single crippling contract on this team. They aren’t remotely in trouble. They still have space and will be getting more space every off season without the cap bump. Even if you don’t like the players signed or think it was generally a waste of time none of them are long term aside from kind of Compher who will be a solid player for them. The cap game is about term. They’re clearly buying time for the young players and surrounding them with guys who can support them and the team without being players who will stand in the way of their growth. No young guy is going to lose his job or have a player in front of him that he can’t at some point beat out.

I think they’re doing a pretty damn good job. Everyone knows the plan, and it makes sense. The idea that Yzerman is on some sort of hot seat is comical. He started from worse than scratch due to bad contracts and doesn’t have the tax breaks anymore, it was always going to take more time.

Last edited:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Definitely getting a desperation vibe from these moves. You dont bring in 5 or 6 new guys if you feel like youre pretty close. Thought it was telling at the draft when the woman point blank asked Yzerman when the Wings were gonna make the playoffs and he couldn't even give a boilerplate semiconfident reply.
Curious to hear Wings fans thoughts on how much longer he will be allowed to flail before ownership makes a change?

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
All the 1 and 2 year contracts are fine, good value deals.

The Holl contract I laugh at because I’m not a fan and it’s redundant with last year’s Chiarot signing, but it won’t break the organization.

The Compher deal is a bit of a head scratcher because he seems very redundant with Copp already there.

I will agree that Yzerman has been signing a lot of filler contracts which was expected in years previous. I think people were expecting him to start bringing in bigger name talent now.

As a Flames fan located in Wing territory, I kind of thought Yzerman might make a big splash and try to land Lindholm and Hanifin. Major improve to the top of the line up and idealistically a great prospect and some picks to Calgary!

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad