Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Walman #2? Yikes
Yep.
FqD0SbNXwAIsR0o

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-10.42.29-AM.png

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So he payed like 2-3 million too much for all these players with the longest contract of 5 years, and people act like it's the end of the Wings? Kinda weird.

Cap space is pretty valuable and Detroit lacks high end talent up front.

It’s not just going to become available for free.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Gamebreakers aren't available through trades or FA though, and does Detroit actually need any other players? Overpaying for just a good top6 forward or top4 defenseman won't make the team a contender...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yzerman wasn't GM then and you know, COVID cups.

Bolts were always coming up short with him as GM and now look where the Red Wings are since he took over heading for I believe 5 straight years no playoffs.

Guess the job ain't so easy when you don't inherit multiple hall of famers.

His GM skills were overhyped because he is Steve Yzerman
Reading comprehension isn’t your strength.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You still need players to play while you build. I dont love the term or money hes given up to guys like Holl, but you need to pay more to get players when youre a bottom feeder team. Guys want to win, not go to rebuilding teams.

Yzerman has said straight up that they are still building, gathering assets and stocking the cupboards with as many young prospects as possible. It all takes time. Years.
Great! So, take on cap dumps from other teams, along with the picks/prospects that come with them

That way they're able to fill out the roster, while increasing the number of assets gathered

Cap space is an asset, and Yzerman is giving that asset away on mediocrity without receiving anything in return

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Great! So, take on cap dumps from other teams, along with the picks/prospects that come with them

That way they're able to fill out the roster, while increasing the number of assets gathered

Cap space is an asset, and Yzerman is giving that asset away on mediocrity without receiving anything in return
He literally took on a dump to get Kostin....and he still has almost $10 million in space for this season with 13 F and 7 D and 3 G signed. Ghost, Reimer and Sprong are 1 year deals, Kostin and Lyon 2, and Holl is 3....these arent exactly ride it out to the end of a career contracts.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We used to say the Atlantic would be a bloodbath because of how good TB, TOR, BOS, FLA are and if the rebuilds of OTT, BUF, DET, MTL are successful and looking good, it would basically make it an 8-team race for the playoffs, with no weak teams in the division.

That is no longer the case.

No. Over 10 million right now and plenty more coming in each of the next few years.

Uh? You have to sign Raymond and Seider next year.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yep, because those 3 will be our top 3 D.... OR Seider #1, Walman #2, Maata #3, Ghost #4, Chiarot #5 and Holl #6. And last I checked, the Wings were nowhere close to being up against the cap, not this year, not next year, and they have a total of 6 guys signed for 3 years from now with a cap hit of 31 million. However will they make it??

I guess Walman's a #2 now. Got it

Reactions: Reality Czech

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
You still need players to play while you build. I dont love the term or money hes given up to guys like Holl, but you need to pay more to get players when youre a bottom feeder team. Guys want to win, not go to rebuilding teams.

Yzerman has said straight up that they are still building, gathering assets and stocking the cupboards with as many young prospects as possible. It all takes time. Years.

Everyone wants to win now. Yzerman is playing the long game. I would feel far more comfortable with Yzermans approach than the approach the Canucks have taken for the past decade.
Well said mate. Kind of going through that same thing in Montreal with the Hugo regime. I love thé long approach vs what Bergevin did. However, I think Mtl fans have been traumatized by the lack of seating and development hehe

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

This wasn’t a good year for high end potential in the UFA market. Detroit has young high end talent. Its just gonna take a few more years to let them develop. I like how Stevie Y is doing this. The Wings have been improving while drafting a TON

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I guess When you don't have a young elite core in place for you and no destination/taxes factor, you're forced to overpay for mediocre free agents.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wait you're telling me a Blackhawks fan thinks Yzerman is a terrible GM, the wings have some sort of cap issues, and Jake Walman is a total scrub?
Sounds like a lot of uninformed takes.

I've been reading that a 3 year deal is "long term" as well. Such a joke. We have 10s of millions of dollars over the next 3 years and only Seider and Raymond to sign. By the time we need to pay Edvinsson - Chiarot, Holl, and everyone not named Larkin, Copp, Compher, Raymond, or Seider could be off the team entirely.

Overreaction culture at its finest.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
In the last 12 months alone:
Chariot, Copp, Gostisbehere, Perron, Kubalik, Maata, Chiasson, Reimer, Sprong, Holl, Compher

He seems to go after what I'll call "filler players". Not plugs, but guys who are legit NHL players that no one would ever count as building blocks. The kind of players that are often included in trade proposals for upgrades. The kind of guys you want to keep, but end up having to leave exposed for an expansion team. A dime a dozen if you will.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yzerman is not exactly a great GM I've been saying this for awhile.

Lightning were a fluke that he couldn't get over the hump with him there...and then nothing to show so far in Detroit
I wonder if Tampa had very good assistants he listened too on their advice.

now he has idiots doing this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad