Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lol if SY uses that as his bible.

What bible you are using?

Please show me some other estimates.

All point for this discussion is the right ballpark on big picture. Some contracts could be higher, some lower. Big picture was 5% bargains in general. 20M value for 19M, on a market which usually is overpay-market.

Yzerman underpaid vs. that market.

You sign all your roster 80M with 5% bargains and the final result is 4M of extra cap space. Space that gives you competitive edge.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After catastrophic lottery luck for several years relative to how bad they were,Yzerman is now spending their cap space and futures because he's grown impatient. Now he's traded a 1st next year. He's doing the exact opposite of what you've suggested.

Imo, he has been doing both. Has got extra firsts to use as trade capital but also drafted 1st every year, with double firsts at 2021 and 2023.

5 last drafts with 7 1st rounders.
5 last drafts with 12 2nd rounders.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Yzerman cult is such a weird thing.

This trade is obviously good for Detroit, but being the one place a guy wants to go (his hometown) and squeezing a GM from a team who has one season before UFA for a depreciating asset is now considered next level genius?

And acting like signing Compher, Chiarot, etc was all some machiavellian move to get DeBrincat?

DeBrincat's a good player, but Yzerman didn't just play 4D chess to land Kaprizov out of nowhere. He capitalized on a situation, and good for him for doing it, to acquire a complimentary 30-40 goal scorer. A tidy piece of business and a needed piece, but not a franchise defining move.

Him drafting ASP and Danielson and signing Copp, Chiarot and Compher isn't solved by this singular deal.

I like Yzerman and I'm not hoping for his failure, but people need to recognize how much circumstance plays a part in success in this league and stop with the personality cults that ignore 50% of a GM's work.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020

This trade is obviously good for Detroit, but being the one place a guy wants to go (his hometown) and squeezing a GM from a team who has one season before UFA for a depreciating asset is now considered next level genius?

And acting like signing Compher, Chiarot, etc was all some machiavellian move to get DeBrincat?

DeBrincat's a good player, but Yzerman didn't just play 4D chess to land Kaprizov out of nowhere. He capitalized on a situation, and good for him for doing it, to acquire a complimentary 30-40 goal scorer. A tidy piece of business and a needed piece, but not a franchise defining move.

Him drafting ASP and Danielson and signing Copp, Chiarot and Compher isn't solved by this singular deal.

I like Yzerman and I'm not hoping for his failure, but people need to recognize how much circumstance plays a part in success in this league and stop with the personality cults that ignore 50% of a GM's work.
33 mill in cap space next year (not taking into account salary cap increase) 54 the year after which means atleast 20 mill.... think the cult of yzerman will be just fine. The abomination that is aquilini on the other hand will never change.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

The reason the fanbase is so passionate about Yzerman and advocates for him is: Yzerman has been a Detroit icon for the last 40 years, he is our guy, always has been - and through all the years, he has delivered results. And he does it in a quiet, unassuming, and never self-aggrandizing manner. Often you get the impression he would rather cut off his own foot than have to talk to the media or publicly.

The fact he doesn't speak much or has long winded explanations or defends decisions here or there makes the fanbase even that much more protective of him. "Yzerplan" or "Schemes" or whatever, is all media and fan created hyperbole for exactly this reason that he is so secretive, and doesn't often advocate for himself so the fanbase does it for him, because again, he's our guy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The reason the fanbase is so passionate about Yzerman and advocates for him is: Yzerman has been a Detroit icon for the last 40 years, he is our guy, always has been - and through all the years, he has delivered results. And he does it in a quiet, unassuming, and never self-aggrandizing manner. Often you get the impression he would rather cut off his own foot than have to talk to the media or publicly.

The fact he doesn't speak much or has long winded explanations or defends decisions here or there makes the fanbase even that much more protective of him. "Yzerplan" or "Schemes" or whatever, is all media and fan created hyperbole for exactly this reason that he is so secretive, and doesn't often advocate for himself so the fanbase does it for him, because again, he's our guy.

Yzerman's practise work at Tampa was pretty good.
Everyone did saw what cap-controlled monster he did build there.

Also rarely missed any tournament he was managing for Team Canada.
- Played for the 2002 Olympic Champion
- Managed the 2010 Olympic Champion
- Managed the 2014 Olympic Champion

- Played for the 1990 World Champion
- Managed 2007 World Champion
- Managed 2008 Silver medalist
- Assistant Managed 2023 World Champion

His acts are best of Yzerman. Success will follow.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Funny you mention that. The anti-Yzerman group of haters is objectively weirder. If you want evidence, look at which is more prevalent in this thread, and look at the OP in this thread.

Sure though, pretend that only the less crazy side is the only crazy side.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Funny you mention that. The anti-Yzerman group of haters is objectively weirder. If you want evidence, look at which is more prevalent in this thread, and look at the OP in this thread.

Sure though, pretend that only the less crazy side is the only crazy side.
I was about to post something about this. The anti Yzerman group seems the more vocal and passionate, and as a casual observer seem far less rational and are pretty consistently off base whenever I look at the topic.

There’s two main board threads right now dedicated to talking smack specifically about Yzerman as a GM.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I was about to post something about this. The anti Yzerman group seems the more vocal and passionate, and as a casual observer seem far less rational and are pretty consistently off base whenever I look at the topic.

There’s two main board threads right now dedicated to talking smack specifically about Yzerman as a GM.
People are just insecure and miserable about being fans of their own teams and like to pick a team near the bottom to gang up on to make themselves feel better. Happens every year...it's been the Leafs, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Colorado, Buffalo, Philly, etc in the past. Someone new every year.

Reactions: bleedgreen

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
Berggern - Compher - Sprong/Fabbri
Sprong/Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin
Ficher

Wallman - Seider
Maatta- Ghostisbehere
Chariot - Holl
Lindstrom

Husso
Reimer

Possible prospects up : Edvinsson, Mazur, Kasper, Soderblom

Something like this
Really lacking another good top 6 C. I don't see Copp being great as a top 6C. He is great as a 3rd line C but can he put up 70 to 80 points minimum as a top 2 C?? Wingers look fine now with Debrincat, Raymond, Perron and Rasmussen. The defense is good but missing a legit top 4D. I think Hronek is much better than Ghost defensively, so they will miss him unless Edvinsson can become that soon. the bottom pairing is fine with Chairot but maybe replace Holl with someone better. Holl is more like a 7th D at this point even if he can play on the bottom pairing. Husso as a goalie is alright but Detroit maybe should upgrade their goaltending in the future and get a better one or draft one that can take over eventually. I see Detroit as more of a bubble team still, where they could miss the playoffs by 5 points or make it by 1 point. Their biggest weakness is at C and G is questionable. Defense is alright if done by committee but they have some bright spots there which can make their D above average.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
People are just insecure and miserable about being fans of their own teams and like to pick a team near the bottom to gang up on to make themselves feel better. Happens every year...it's been the Leafs, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Colorado, Buffalo, Philly, etc in the past. Someone new every year.
Vancouver gets picked on whether they are at the bottom of the standing or at the top :laugh: Even when they were president trophy winners and made the finals they were still getting picked on, whether it was Sedin sisters or people making fun of Kesler for wearing underwear. But thats beside the point, it will always be like this no matter where in the standings. People even pick on Tampa after winning multiple cups and making lame excuses about Covid season or how they manipulated the cap. I guess it doesn't matter what the team does, people here will pick apart any team no matter where they are in the standings.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Vancouver gets picked on whether they are at the bottom of the standing or at the top :laugh: Even when they were president trophy winners and made the finals they were still getting picked on, whether it was Sedin sisters or people making fun of Kesler for wearing underwear. But thats beside the point, it will always be like this no matter where in the standings. People even pick on Tampa after winning multiple cups and making lame excuses about Covid season or how they manipulated the cap. I guess it doesn't matter what the team does, people here will pick apart any team no matter where they are in the standings.
Why would people make fun of Kesler for wearing underwear?

I wear under wear too. At least most days.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Why would people make fun of Kesler for wearing underwear?

I wear under wear too. At least most days.
I think there was a pic of him modelling an underwear lol.

ryan-kesler-shirtless.jpg

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Thanksgiving update

Compher: 19GP, 16pts,
Gostisbehere: 18GP, 14pts
Sprong: 19GP, 13pts
Holl: leads team with +8
Kostin: leads team's forwards in hits
Reimer: .917 SV%
Compher: on pace for 17 goals at over 5M per year
Gostisbehere: worst on team -4
Sprong: 9th forward in time one ice.
Holl: 3 points in 15 games, 6th defenseman in time on ice.
Kostin: 2 points in 15 games, 13th in time on ice among forwards
Reimer: Played 31% of his team's games

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Compher: on pace for 17 goals at over 5M per year
Gostisbehere: worst on team -4
Sprong: 9th forward in time one ice.
Holl: 3 points in 15 games, 6th defenseman in time on ice.
Kostin: 2 points in 15 games, 13th in time on ice among forwards
Reimer: Played 31% of his team's games
Literally all of that is fine and in line with what they were signed to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad