Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can you explain why it would be better for them to have a worse #6D and just have a bunch of unused cap space when they’re trying to be competitive this season?
First, who said worse.
Second, cap space has value at the TDL.
Third, it’s a two year contract.

I feel like I do, and I think he’s done a good job.
I think he’s done a good job overall too although it’s still too early to pass judgment.
He’s got them to the bubble stage with what looks like a strong D but still lacks the high end offensive players of the top contenders. The next part is getting from a bubble team to a true contender and that’s far harder. But that doesn’t change my view that he’s made some poor moves too. I just don’t understand why people get so defensive when he’s subject to legitimate criticism.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
First, who said worse.

I think he’s done a good job overall too although it’s still too early to pass judgment. Doesn’t change my view that he’s made some poor moves too. I just don’t understand why people get so defensive when he’s subject to legitimate criticism.
First: who are you getting better than Holl for minimum wage (you can’t)

Second: we still have enough cap space to acquire basically anyone we want or need

Third: we have even more cap space next season

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think he’s done a good job overall too although it’s still too early to pass judgment. Doesn’t change my view that he’s made some poor moves too. I just don’t understand why people get so defensive when he’s subject to legitimate criticism.
Still too early to pass judgement but not too early to call them poor moves. Got it. You are making a lot of sense here.

First, who said worse.
Are you saying we could've had worse players and been worse and took on cap for assets at the deadline instead of being where we are now?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Still too early to pass judgement but not too early to call them poor moves. Got it. You are making a lot of sense here.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. It’s not too early to say he’s made some good moves nor is it too early to say he’s made some bad ones.
As for the rebuild, it’s far too early to say that it’s been successful. He’s done the easy part of getting high draft picks and getting the team to the playoff bubble level. Now comes the hard part of building a true contender. To me it looks like he’s built an excellent defense but still is missing the top line offensive players.
If you don’t want to read constructive criticism of your GM then maybe stick to the Red Wings board.
My last post as this is just going in circles now.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Yzerman lacking creativity to make good trades. Instead he's resorted to the tell tale sign that a GM is worried about his job by filling roster spots with overpaid free agents.
I hate the Wings but this is a bad take. He filled the roster with short term contracts that'll allow their prospects to e to develop.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I hate the Wings but this is a bad take. He filled the roster with short term contracts that'll allow their prospects to e to develop.
Not a wings fan either, but this is bang on...............Stevie Y knows how to do things....he proved it in Tampa....those Cups down there have him all over them.

Teams at the bottom have to give their kids time to develop.....the standings in the Atlantic will be flipping upside down in a couple of years....

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Wings have looked good in my limited viewings. From Wings fans, what’s the big change in terms of last year to this year besides Debrincat? Obviously Yzerman wanted to attack their depth.

I’d say the biggest changes are that:
1. Raymond has taken a big step forward and is looking like the future 80+ point 1st liner we was drafted to be.
2. Compher has been great in the 2C role and has helped them become more than a 1 line team.
3. The D is transitioning better and has let the forwards play with more speed through the neutral zone, Ghost and Petry have been a big part of this (defensively not so great though lol).
4. Depth guys are playing up to their potential. Veleno has taken a big step forward. Sprong has been outstanding for his role.

Someone else may have more to add but for me that’s been the biggest difference so far.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Compher: on pace for 17 goals at over 5M per year
Gostisbehere: worst on team -4
Sprong: 9th forward in time one ice.
Holl: 3 points in 15 games, 6th defenseman in time on ice.
Kostin: 2 points in 15 games, 13th in time on ice among forwards
Reimer: Played 31% of his team's games

When your counterpoints include "9th in TOI" for a $2M forward and "Played 31% of his team's games" for a backup goalie, you know you don't have a leg to stand on.

Thanks for the laugh.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
First, who said worse.

I think he’s done a good job overall too although it’s still too early to pass judgment.
He’s got them to the bubble stage with what looks like a strong D but still lacks the high end offensive players of the top contenders. The next part is getting from a bubble team to a true contender and that’s far harder. But that doesn’t change my view that he’s made some poor moves too. I just don’t understand why people get so defensive when he’s subject to legitimate criticism.
Well I tend to only react to the worst of it. People are really over the top in their criticism, for whatever reason. I don’t really see any bad moves. They were a crap team with little to no quality prospects and very few veterans anyone wanted to trade off. He started from scratch with bad contracts on the books. I don’t really see any need for criticism. I don’t think it went perfect but when you start from scratch this is how long it takes. People criticized the Francis era in Carolina but he had to bite the bullet for a few years to put everything in place. To me this was a similar situation. Teams that turn around quicker had better things in place than Detroit did.

Reactions: TS Quint

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Well I tend to only react to the worst of it. People are really over the top in their criticism, for whatever reason. I don’t really see any bad moves. They were a crap team with little to no quality prospects and very few veterans anyone wanted to trade off. He started from scratch with bad contracts on the books. I don’t really see any need for criticism. I don’t think it went perfect but when you start from scratch this is how long it takes. People criticized the Francis era in Carolina but he had to bite the bullet for a few years to put everything in place. To me this was a similar situation. Teams that turn around quicker had better things in place than Detroit did.
For the most part, the supposed "Bad moves" are completely laughable.

... But Ben Chiarot was an awful signing lol. And we all knew it the minute the details came out.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
First, who said worse.

Too early to pass judgement, yet you are passing judgement.

Also this a 19 page thread of people criticizing him, where are you getting this notion that he is above criticism?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
For the most part, the supposed "Bad moves" are completely laughable.

... But Ben Chiarot was an awful signing lol. And we all knew it the minute the details came out.
Well he’s playing on a team that currently in the playoffs, and he’s plus 8. I don’t think it’s as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

It makes complete sense to add mid level vets to a young team. No youngster is being blocked and they’re all insulated by veteran players. As they grow the vets can move aside into lesser roles, none of them are expensive and none of the “questionable” ones are signed long term.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Well he’s playing on a team that currently in the playoffs, and he’s plus 8. I don’t think it’s as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

It makes complete sense to add mid level vets to a young team. No youngster is being blocked and they’re all insulated by veteran players. As they grow the vets can move aside into lesser roles, none of them are expensive and none of the “questionable” ones are signed long term.

He hasn't been as bad as he was last year, but he was atrocious last year. Like, killed Seider bad. Got demoted to Hronek's pairing and killed Hronek.

He's the worst partner Seider has played with, and Seider played with Jordan Oesterle and a broken down Danny DeKeyser.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When your counterpoints include "9th in TOI" for a $2M forward and "Played 31% of his team's games" for a backup goalie, you know you don't have a leg to stand on.

Thanks for the laugh.
Never mind calling out Holl for being 6th in ice time when he was signed to be… *checks notes*… the #6D

Reactions: saska sault

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This years ufa signings have been solid. Chia and Copp from last year not so much and the Petry pickup has been pretty lousy. Ghost, Compher, Kostin, Holl and Reimer have all played well so far.

Reactions: Reddwit

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Still not buying it.
Cap space has value no matter how much people try to spin it otherwise.
Nice to see not everyone is a hater and can recognize the Wings still have over $6m in cap space while in a playoff position. Good post, no other team can make that claim.

Making the Leafs #3 defenseman their #6 seems to speak to how well Yzerman has assembled the team.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
View attachment 725234

And the Yzerplan is? to finish dead last?

With

Chiarot, Gostisbehere and Holl for your D playing night after night,
that will not be very difficult.. lol

You have Olli Määttä as the only one who is good at playing D
and that says a lot, i like Määttä and he has grown to be surprisingly good
with playing his own calm game, but still he is Olli Määttä and not.. lets say someone like Esa Lindell.

I feel sorry for the Red Wings fans.
Working out pretty damn good

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad