Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Exactly plus their prospect pool is nothing special.
You may wanna take a look at their defensive prospects. They are deeper, with more Grade A quality than anyone else. Watch Sweden during World Juniors, and you’ll see two of them, who aren’t even in North America yet. Then you have more than a handful of forwards to make significant impacts. Including many later round picks like Mazur, Soderblom, Savage and Lombardi.

Their system is loaded with 200+ Game prospects. Including monsters on the backend size/skill wise.

With their NHL roster performing like this, they get to actually develop their prospects. Even if only 4-5 of them hit, they’re gonna be very good for at least a decade.

Most teams would be ecstatic to have an Anton Johansson in their system. He’s not even in Detroit’s top 5 of defensive prospects and plays in the SHL every night at 19 years old. They’re loaded on the backend. Probably more than any team in recent memory.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Around 20 games or so into Yzerman's fifth season as GM in Detroit and the Wings are a bubble playoff team for the first time after dropping a bunch of coin on second rate UFAs. Congratulations on the improvement.
Detroit was a bubble playoff team until like a week before the trade deadline last season, where he (wisely) sold.

And yea, 5 years after Yzerman took over and a season in which they were historically bad, cleaning up Hollands mess with countless horrible contracts, zero prospect pool and continued losing of the draft lottery the Wings are a bubble team.

That’s with a top 3-5 prospect pool still on the way.

Reactions: WF19

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

vs

Can you tell the difference between Yzerman's first season and this season?
I beg you not to post that roster. It gives me PTSD

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- LW DeBrincat, 20 games, 12+8=20 points, +7 (1.00 ppg, Top3 ES points/60))
- LD Gostisbehere, 19 games, 5+13=18 points (0.95 ppg)
- C Compher, 20 games, 4+13=17 points, +6 (0.85 ppg, Top3 ES points/60))
- RD Holl, 16 games, 0+3=3 points, +8 (team-leader)
- RW Sprong, 20 games, 5+8=13, +7 (0.65 ppg, Top3 ES points/60)
- G Lyon, 3 games, 2 wins .952 sv%
- G Reimer, 6 games, 2 wins .917 sv%

I would say: MONEY WELL SPENT.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I was under the impression he was horrible defensively based on his reputation. Not the case at all. He’s nothing special but he hasn’t really been a liability. His offense has been a boon though. He can pretty much do it all in that respect.

He's never been the defensive disaster people think he is. He's always been a competent defender, really good at some things in his own end but with a few noticeable weaknesses mostly related to the fact that he's not 6'1" 210 lbs. Offensively, he's a gem. By the end of the year he'll slot in as the 5th leading scorer for his draft class.

The Flyers just completely sabotaged him and the rest of the league still hasn't quite caught on how much of a player he really is.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Around 20 games or so into Yzerman's fifth season as GM in Detroit and the Wings are a bubble playoff team for the first time after dropping a bunch of coin on second rate UFAs. Congratulations on the improvement.
Yeah, it's a crazy turn around from your 2nd best player being Anthony Mantha and your top prospects being Filip Zadina and Joe Veleno, ain't it?!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
- LW DeBrincat, 20 games, 12+8=20 points, +7 (1.00 ppg, Top3 ES points/60))
- LD Gostisbehere, 19 games, 5+13=18 points (0.95 ppg)
- C Compher, 20 games, 4+13=17 points, +6 (0.85 ppg, Top3 ES points/60))
- RD Holl, 16 games, 0+3=3 points, +8 (team-leader)
- RW Sprong, 20 games, 5+8=13, +7 (0.65 ppg, Top3 ES points/60)
- G Lyon, 3 games, 2 wins .952 sv%
- G Reimer, 6 games, 2 wins .917 sv%

I would say: MONEY WELL SPENT.
this team might easily be a wildcard team,they play like a team ,coached well and yzerman is a winner.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I was under the impression he was horrible defensively based on his reputation. Not the case at all. He’s nothing special but he hasn’t really been a liability. His offense has been a boon though. He can pretty much do it all in that respect.

Ghostbear was pretty good for Carolina defensively...he surprisingly was kind of cold on offense though.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Have to say this is a one of the rare good thread bumps. I wasn't impressed with the contracts - but some of the guys have looked a lot better than I thought they would. Hope the contacts age well, but they're off to a good start.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was always a popular myth, but it really took off when idiot Flyer fans were trying to rationalize Chuck Fletcher paying a 2nd to move Ghost to Arizona, just so he could trade a 1st and a 2nd to acquire Ristolainen, who actually is horrible defensively.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Getting swept by Boston in the first round? Priceless.
Interesting...at one point (literally 2 days ago when you replied here), the bruins had two regulation losses on the season and allowed what almost 5 GA in those two games? Did I mention they were the wings who they lost too...both times? Get beat by boston? Probably, swept? IDK bout that one.

So the team would be better off with a worse player in that spot instead at 900k for a little bit of extra cap space that they don't need? He's playing well, and the team is playing well which is all that matters. The cap hit doesn't affect their ability to sign more players.

A bad signing would be for a player who is playing poorly, not for one that is playing well.
That person just wants us to have oesterle/hagg/lindstrom again. you know............the minimum salary defense we had before that gave up like 3+ GAA/game

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well I tend to only react to the worst of it. People are really over the top in their criticism, for whatever reason. I don’t really see any bad moves. They were a crap team with little to no quality prospects and very few veterans anyone wanted to trade off. He started from scratch with bad contracts on the books. I don’t really see any need for criticism. I don’t think it went perfect but when you start from scratch this is how long it takes. People criticized the Francis era in Carolina but he had to bite the bullet for a few years to put everything in place. To me this was a similar situation. Teams that turn around quicker had better things in place than Detroit did.
It's the elephant in the room that no one is saying and isn't a part of the thread because he wasn't a FA....that name is Petry.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's the elephant in the room that no one is saying and isn't a part of the thread because he wasn't a FA....that name is Petry.
2.4 for defensive depth, they moved out a guy who wasn’t going to get much of a chance and they added a fourth.

Not seeing an elephant there. That’s a chance a lot of teams probably would’ve taken. The Canes would’ve done that if they didn’t have too many NHL dmen already. They’d probably swap out TDA for Petry right now.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

vs

Can you tell the difference between Yzerman's first season and this season?
lmao. we only had two players at + level and they both played an accumulated 25 games...and were a total of +4. That's hilarious

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
2.4 for defensive depth, they moved out a guy who wasn’t going to get much of a chance and they added a fourth.

Not seeing an elephant there. That’s a chance a lot of teams probably would’ve taken. The Canes would’ve done that if they didn’t have too many NHL dmen already. They’d probably swap out TDA for Petry right now.
The last two games, he has played very well. The issue is, he makes the same bone headed mistakes that chiarot did last year (I am on chiarot's side now for the record, he has played very well this year imo). Petry also has a fantastic tendency to dump the puck in the neutral zone or ices the puck at least 3-4 times a game when he could have easily just reversed the puck back along the boards or held onto it or...passed to two of the open guys right in front of him.

I wasn't upset with the trade when it happened. Lindstrom was so bad and it was a total head scratcher that we re-signed him. I get the whole depth scenario, but we had edvinsson, aljo, etc to fill that void when needed, but petry had that veteran leadership we could use for those prospects to learn from and I'm all for that. The problem I have with him is what I said above and it kills our momentum right when we get it every time.

Stat watching is stat watching, I do it too. But when you physically watched him play the first 10 games or so, that taste won't leave because he has had a good two game stretch or his stats don't look terrible. The salary is negligible to me. At this point, Edvinsson would be a much better player to be in that pairing with chiarot and it would improve our defense at an alarming rate by just subtracting petry for ed.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Interesting...at one point (literally 2 days ago when you replied here), the bruins had two regulation losses on the season and allowed what almost 5 GA in those two games? Did I mention they were the wings who they lost too...both times? Get beat by boston? Probably, swept? IDK bout that one.

C'mon, you must realize regular season head-to-head W/L record is meaningless come playoff time. Especially when we're talking about games played before December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad