Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Part of me gets it but at the same time it's a weird way to build a roster. I think people underestimate how bad Holland left Detroit and the only saving grace was a young Dylan Larkin.
and the era start in 2019 with drafting Seider 6th overall. Zadina was the part of the previous train wreck that fell in Yzers lap.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
If anyone knows Detroit fan pain, it's NJD Fans as both teams:

1) Dominated the league in the 90s and 2000s
2) Sent picks and depth out of town to keep the good times rolling
3) The good times stopped very fast
4) The barest of cupboards, the driest of wells, all within a few years
5) Pain and suffering as this gross husk of a team bears the name of the franchise we remember as unstoppable
6) It's coming around
7) We have hope now

I think we let Yzerman put this into play to see what happens.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Just out of curiosity, is their another team, who’s had a 1st Round pick from each of the last 4 drafts (prior to 23’ obviously) already play in the NHL?? Especially one who’s never had a Top 3 pick in that span? 2 of whom, have already played two full NHL seasons?

They’ll be just fine. It takes time. It’s just took Colorado, what? 12-13 years?

People need to remember how empty that system was 4 years ago. It’s now loaded. Especially on the backend, where there’s not a deeper quality prospect pool in the NHL. The amount of 200+ NHL prospects they have to develop now, is pretty impressive actually.

They literally didn’t have a prospect pool to develop.. They had one prospect, Rasmussen, who’s likely going to be a very good NHL player. He already is in many respects. Then Valeno and McIssac. That’s it.

They just added 5-6 players who are much better than the players they’re replacing. Who cares if they overpaid on one of them. They have plenty of space. They’re a much better team than 10 days ago, with these moves. It’s UFA, of course they overpaid. Duh. Happens every year. There’s certainly not an anchor contract out of any of them.

For all those experts, what would’ve you done? Not sign these players and just hand positions to 19, 20, 21 year olds? Ask Colorado, Edmonton, Buffalo and a few others, how that works. You will ruin young players. Especially Dmen.

With the draft positions they’ve had, they’ve drafted as good as possible. Whether it was their intention or not, they’re building from the backend out. In 5 drafts, there’s not a team in the league with that quality of prospects on D. Now they’re developing kids. These picks have barely become pros.

That’s how it works. The system was bone dry. Here’s where they start seeing the kids incorporated into things.

This isn’t a video game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For me at least it looks like Detroit got some bad luck with the draft lottery and so far haven't been able to compensate that with excellent (or lucky) drafting like for exampe Colorado did, and now patience just seems to be running low, or they really value their young forwards a lot more than we do.

Rebuilds are just so much about luck that it's hard to blame Detroit for still being so bad, but why not just embrace it? Yes definitely sign a couple veterans to keep some sort of a competitive culture around, but why do you need so many of them, and for so many years too? Without the core talent to build around on you're still only left praying for lottery luck at the end of the season, but with diminished odds

If Larkin, Raymond, Berggren Kasper, Danielson and Mazur all become ~60 point players, with the defence and goaltending Detroit should be rolling out, they can be very competitive. Detroit definitely doesnt have the flashy, high end forward outside of Raymond but they have a bunch of gritty, awesome 2 way players that you can win with, espeically with how their defence and goaltending is going to be. The real issue is that Detroit has made a tonne of picks the last few years and we havent had time to see any late rounders pan out.

Its impossible to say in hindishgt that Detroit hasnt been lucky with later round picks, but they have a bunch of later round picks that are trending extremely well. They have had so many picks lately, theyre bound to get a couple difference makers out of the lower rounds. But those guys take time to figure it out at the lower levels for a bit. Yzermans first draft was 2019, were you expecting any 2nd round picks or later to be making a difference already?

Reactions: SoupNazi

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
If Larkin, Raymond, Berggren Kasper, Danielson and Mazur all become ~60 point players, with the defence and goaltending Detroit should be rolling out, they can be very competitive.
I for sure wouldn't say no to 6 ~60 point players but it is very unlikely that they all will contribute this way.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I for sure wouldn't say no to 6 ~60 point players but it is very unlikely that they all will contribute this way.

No but if they dont, the plethora of other picks theyve made could have a guy or two come out and do that. Issue is that those guys take time

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Isn't it amazing how much harder it is to be a pro GM when you don't work in a no tax sunshine state where every damn player wants to play for cheaper?

I sure it has nothing to do with the state of the team when he came in.

Nope.

No way that's the case, gotta be the sun and taxes.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
No but if they dont, the plethora of other picks theyve made could have a guy or two come out and do that. Issue is that those guys take time
Time is only an issue if you're in a hurry. Better follow the plan you set beforehand than rush things and regret it later.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The number of times I've seen Red Wings fans invoke the name "Jake Walman" as a counter argument to their defense being weak tells me all I need to know.

A fine defenseman no doubt, underrated I'm sure, but a 27 year old with 30 career points better be prime Larry Robinson on D to be dropping his name in the context that you are.

Especially with Raymond having a big sophomore slump last season, this foundation is looking very mediocre given how long they've been out of the playoffs.

The random patchwork of over-paid veterans does nothing more than push you a little higher up in the standings and away from better draft picks. This rebuild seems to really be stalled and ad-hoc but Detroit fans are seemingly in denial about it.

In all fairness, Walman has really turned it around and has looked very dynamic. I don't think stat watching applies here. You have to watch games to appreciate what he's doing. His game continues to get better each time he steps out on the ice. Watching him develop before your eyes has been magical and fairytale-esque. If you enjoy watching players grow before your eyes, then Walman is the guy to keep an eye on... he's fun to watch.

No, he's never going to be the next Erik Karlsson or anything like that. But he is proving to be a solid and dynamic top 4 that all teams would love to have on their respective roster.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
If Larkin, Raymond, Berggren Kasper, Danielson and Mazur all become ~60 point players, with the defence and goaltending Detroit should be rolling out, they can be very competitive. Detroit definitely doesnt have the flashy, high end forward outside of Raymond but they have a bunch of gritty, awesome 2 way players that you can win with, espeically with how their defence and goaltending is going to be. The real issue is that Detroit has made a tonne of picks the last few years and we havent had time to see any late rounders pan out.

Its impossible to say in hindishgt that Detroit hasnt been lucky with later round picks, but they have a bunch of later round picks that are trending extremely well. They have had so many picks lately, theyre bound to get a couple difference makers out of the lower rounds. But those guys take time to figure it out at the lower levels for a bit. Yzermans first draft was 2019, were you expecting any 2nd round picks or later to be making a difference already?
Patience is running low for dipshit Wings fans and for fans of other teams who can't wait to tapdance on Yzerman's grave after he built Tampa to be such a strong team.

There is a small, vocal group of Wings fans pissed at him while most are like team was a tirefire and we needed to take a season or two to even put the fire out before we got back to building it back up.

He should have made a trade for Konecny.

Why?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'm fine with how things are progressing. At the very least I can watch the team now and its entertaining enough. There was a time when I didn't even bother watching.

Reactions: 13to40

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I sure it has nothing to do with the state of the team when he came in.

Nope.

No way that's the case, gotta be the sun and taxes.

Well Steve should be able to sign top talent for the cheap because he was able to get Stammer to sign for only 9 while Tavares was demanding 11. I'm sure that had everything to do with his charm and skill as a GM...and nothing to do with sun and taxes.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Well Steve should be able to sign top talent for the cheap because he was able to get Stammer to sign for only 9 while Tavares was demanding 11. I'm sure that had everything to do with his charm and skill as a GM...and nothing to do with sun and taxes.
They also had a killer team going and guys wanted to be on it.........

Kinda like Detroit in the late 90s early 2000s......

hmmmmm.....

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
What is it Leaf’s fans always say about playing in Toronto when they are try to retain or sign players? But but but the eNdRoSmEnT dEaLs aRe hUgE iN tOrOnTo!!!!

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Since no one answered you, Yzerman's leash is as long as Poile's was.
Thank you for the reply. But after the initial expansion era, Poile only missed the playoffs 3 out of 17 subsequent seasons, many of which were on a shoestring budget. So not exactly apples to oranges

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
What is it Leaf’s fans always say about playing in Toronto when they are try to retain or sign players? But but but the eNdRoSmEnT dEaLs aRe hUgE iN tOrOnTo!!!!
Toronto like most all of Canadian teams are usually on the NTC lists...Detroit might be right now. Any GM right now working in a Canadian market is going to have it rough. I wouldn't be so bold in thinking that a guy like Yzerman is going to be able to do what he did in Tampa in Toronto...let alone Detroit. He's not "magical" enough.

That's the entire point.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Toronto like most all of Canadian teams are usually on the NTC lists...Detroit might be right now. Any GM right now working in a Canadian market is going to have it rough. I wouldn't be so bold in thinking that a guy like Yzerman is going to be able to do what he did in Tampa in Toronto...let alone Detroit. He's not "magical" enough.

That's the entire point.
LOL, keep making excuses for the Leafs. They've done fine getting FAs to go there, where have you been? What has stopped them from winning is a dog shit GM.

Yzerman will be fine. The Wings are on a good track. All the Chicken Littles will realize the sky isn't falling and Yzerman is on a path to sustainable winning. He started with nothing. It takes time. He will get there, don't worry so much over nothing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ezekial

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Thank you for the reply. But after the initial expansion era, Poile only missed the playoffs 3 out of 17 subsequent seasons, many of which were on a shoestring budget. So not exactly apples to oranges
Well you asked, that’s the answer. Yzerman is practically family to the Illitch’s.

They knew what his MO and timeline was going to be from day 1. Just like SFY said in his first press conference.

Reactions: Henkka and PredsV82

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well you asked, that’s the answer. Yzerman is practically family to the Illitch’s.

They knew what his MO and timeline was going to be from day 1. Just like SFY said in his first press conference.
Fair enough.

Reactions: TKB

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
LOL, keep making excuses for the Leafs. They've done fine getting FAs to go there, where have you been? What has stopped them from winning is a dog shit GM.

Yzerman will be fine. The Wings are on a good track. All the Chicken Littles will realize the sky isn't falling and Yzerman is on a path to sustainable winning. He started with nothing. It takes time. He will get there, don't worry so much over nothing.
Imo yzerman traded away top guys at this recent TDL because he knew he doesn’t have the elite talent needed to win. He’s going to continue to try and draft high until he gets those elite players that he’s missing. For him it’s about building a cup contender.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Imo yzerman traded away top guys at this recent TDL because he knew he doesn’t have the elite talent needed to win. He’s going to continue to try and draft high until he gets those elite players that he’s missing. For him it’s about building a cup contender.
Well he sure is striking out on some of the recent signings the last couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad