Proposal: Would you trade Stutzle for Matthews?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Stutzle for Matthews?

• Total voters

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
This one’s not that tough, Matthews is the better player but Stutzle with that contract is a top 5-10 asset in the league. Matthews with his fat contract coming up can’t compare, if he gets paid Mackinnon money, the question becomes Stutzle + 5 million in cap space
Kinda what I think too. Basically Stutzle and a solid second pairing shut down D

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would I rather have a two-time Rocket Richard winner, the raining Hart Trophy winner, or Stuzle?
GP G A P +/-
53 12 17 29 -18
79 22 36 58 -27
59 31 35 66 0

Meh production on a non-playoff team, what am I missing here?One solid season, -45 player. Stuzle's best season is comparable to Matthew's worst.

HFBoard: Give me the guy that's 26th in scoring currently (Stuzle's only NHL major award)
You mean besides the fact that Stutzle was between 18 and 20/21 years old in those seasons?

Lol.

When Matthews was Stutzle's age he finished 43rd in scoring, 21 points behind his own teammate.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Taking age and contract into consideration there is no way you would. If you did and AM leaves as a UFA you’re totally screwed.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Methot triggered by all those years of Leaf fans occupying his home stadium lol...Objectively I don't think you are going to get realistic answers from Sens/Leafs fans. How is Stutzle's defensive game? That's a big thing to consider as well.

Reactions: Voight

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Methot triggered by all those years of Leaf fans occupying his home stadium lol...Objectively I don't think you are going to get realistic answers from Sens/Leafs fans. How is Stutzle's defensive game? That's a big thing to consider as well.
Leafs were irrelevant during Methot's time in Ottawa.

Stützle has come a long way defensively... he is a very good PKer and has grown leaps and bounds since moving to C. Not elite but good for his age.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You don't make the trade on contract value. Stutzle is signed long term at a nice cap hit and is looking more valuable as the season goes on. I don't think the difference between the two is worth the extra cap hit right now (not far off IMO because Matthews' has won back to back Rockets and the Hart). But the difference between the two definitely won't be worth it.

And in a trade this assume Ottawa could re-sign him too. Which is gratuitous at best.

Reactions: Bfan14

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
More posts to troll the Leafs, keep the obsession going!
So do you honestly think Matthews is that much better that you risk having him for only one more season vs 7 or if he re-signs, having him at $5-7M dollars higher of an AAV?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Would I rather have a two-time Rocket Richard winner, the raining Hart Trophy winner, or Stuzle?
GP G A P +/-
53 12 17 29 -18
79 22 36 58 -27
59 31 35 66 0

Meh production on a non-playoff team, what am I missing here?One solid season, -45 player. Stuzle's best season is comparable to Matthew's worst.

HFBoard: Give me the guy that's 26th in scoring currently (Stuzle's only NHL major award)

You are missing foresight.

Stutzle is a 21 year old establishing himself as a star, and will be in the first year of an eight year extension on a team friendly deal.

Matthews is 25 year old established star and will be entering the final year of his contract next season. When he signs that new contract he is going to be the highest paid player. He isn't going to be a 26 year old pending UFA to take a discount on his next contract. It will be interesting to see what kind of discussion is around Matthews this summer.

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
Player 1:
33p/39gp = 0.85 ppg

Player 2:
21p/26gp = 0.81 ppg

I’ll let you figure out who player 2 is.
Has anyone ever called Barkov the 2nd best player in the league? Much less, Top 5? Cuz your boy routinely gets pimped by the media and fans to those degrees.

So, again, without dodging my question, name me 1 player more disproportionately hyped in league history.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You mean besides the fact that Stutzle was between 18 and 20/21 years old in those seasons?

Lol.

When Matthews was Stutzle's age he finished 43rd in scoring, 21 points behind his own teammate.
I love how dishonest you constantly are LOL it's pathetic. When Matthews was 19 / a rookie he finished first on the Leafs in scoring, won the Calder and was 2nd in the entire league in goals. His sophomore season he had 63 pts in 62 games and scored at a 45 goal pace, 6 pts behind Mitch Marner who played a full 82 games. His third season he missed 14 games again but still scored 73 in 68 and was on pace for ~90 pts/45 goals, he would've been close to Marner over a full year.

And despite the games he's missed, he's still 2nd in goals since entering the league, only 3 behind Ovi who has played 32 more games. In terms of goals per game Matthews dominates the rest of the pack.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Better player is Matthews , I take Matthews
There no right or wrong answer here bu once Matthews new contract is signed he probably Makes more then Stutzle and Chychrun. Even if Matthews returns to last year form I would take a #1C and a #1D over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad