Proposal: Would you trade Stutzle for Matthews?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Stutzle for Matthews?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Last year’s Matthews or this year’s?
Or somewhere in between which is the likely scenario.
In that case given contracts and age you have to take Stutzle.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Inspiration:

Stutzle: Just turned 21, signed for 8 more years at 8.35 AAV.

31G - 35A - 66P (23PPP) - 59 GP

Matthews: 25 years old, signed for 1 more year at 11.64 AAV.

29G - 33A - 62P (21PPP) - 57 GP

Yeah why trade the guy locked in long term at a great cao hit for a guy who could leave in a year and is only slightly better.

Even if Matthews re-signed with you, he's likely coming in at $5M + a year.

Makes no sense

Even ignoring contracts I wouldn't trade Stutzle for Matthews.
Matthews is a better player, but contract situations make this so easy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Matthews is a better player, but contract situations make this so easy
Last season's Auston Matthews was definitely better, but Stutzle has arguably been the better player this year, and I would take him over the next 8 years as well

Stutzle
59gp 31g 66p (leads Senators in goals and points)

Matthews
57gp 29g 62p (3rd on Leafs in points, 2nd in goals)

Beyond the slight edge in production, Stutzle has a lot more hustle and grit in his game. He's just a much more competitive player than Matthews.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Stutzle is pacing for 43 goals and 91 points this year and is 21. I'd say Matthews is still better, but at 21, Stutzle has more room to improve and the contract uncertainty around Matthews is a deal breaker IMO.
Contract and the inability to stay healthy. I'll take my chances with Stutzle

Reactions: tilly123123

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
no mostly just because of contracts. auston matthews is getting a rep for not delivering. he's looking like this generations joe thornton.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Last season's Auston Matthews was definitely better, but Stutzle has arguably been the better player this year, and I would take him over the next 8 years as well

Stutzle
59gp 31g 66p (leads Senators in goals and points)

Matthews
57gp 29g 62p (3rd on Leafs in points, 2nd in goals)

Beyond the slight edge in production, Stutzle has a lot more hustle and grit in his game. He's just a much more competitive player than Matthews.
Id say the previous 3 seasons (before this one) were definitely better than Stutzle this season

Depends if you see Mattnews this year as his norm or not

If I could guarantee Matthews re-signs then absolutely. When healthy, he's at least a 50 goal scorer and ppg+ player. Do people really think Stutzle is better or is this more of a contract thing?
Even if he does re-sign you're looking at a ~$5M dollar difference in cap hits

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Absolutely not

1. We’ve seen Matthews hit his peak. I said this last year, and got a lot of heat from Leafs fans, but it’s true. A lot of players hit their peaks younger now, and Matthews looks like he won’t be sniffing 60 again (maybe not 50).

2. Stützle is a better hockey player and younger.

3. Contract situation. Matthews is clearly already looking ahead to UFA, I see him going to a big US market. Even if he comes with a long term extension, he’s going to make at least $5M more than Stutzle a year. You can get a Chychrun with that cap space.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
32 teams can get Matthews for nothing except $$$, 31 teams can get Stutzle for assets and $$$, so Matthews is actually "cheaper" to acquire.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I love HF so much. Ultimate foot in mouth message board. I still remember when everyone thought Ovechkin was cooked at the same age.

I doubt that many people think Matthews is cooked, but he has already refused to take a team friendly contract once and he's up for another contract.

Will Stutzle ever be as good? Who knows. BUt he's pretty damned good already, younger, and on a steal of a contract for 8 more years. He could be making 4 to 6 million less per year than Matthews. Nobody in their right mind would make that trade.

Unless Stutzle had disappointed in the first round of the playoffs 6 years in a row, then maybe a hockey trade to shake things up would make sense.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I doubt that many people think Matthews is cooked, but he has already refused to take a team friendly contract once and he's up for another contract.

Will Stutzle ever be as good? Who knows. BUt he's pretty damned good already, younger, and on a steal of a contract for 8 more years. He could be making 4 to 6 million less per year than Matthews. Nobody in their right mind would make that trade.

Unless Stutzle had disappointed in the first round of the playoffs 6 years in a row, then maybe a hockey trade to shake things up would make sense.
Stutzle being younger is irrelevant and despite his great season he isn’t in the playoffs. Maybe he should get there before throwing stones About matthews play

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

This place makes idiotic polls on the regular that get bumped a year or two after and they look truly embarrassing in hindsight. We just had a Mantha vs Nylander poll that recently resurfaced.

As for your last comment, Ottawa will actually have to get into the playoffs first. The amount of arrogance from 'SuMmEr oF PieRrE' lol

Even ignoring contracts I wouldn't trade Stutzle for Matthews.
This might be one of the most embarrassing things I've ever read especially.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Stutzle being younger is irrelevant and despite his great season he isn’t in the playoffs. Maybe he should get there before throwing stones About matthews play

Not sure how his age isn't relevant. For a team like Ottawa that just this season is actually making a push at being competitive, age means everything.

And who knows how he will preform in the playoffs. Could be awesome, could be awful. I'll take an unknown break out star over a superstar who has already shown what he's made of, or isn't made of, when the going gets tough.

If Matthews puts the team on his back and wills his way to the conference finals, I'll stand corrected. But I'll believe it when I see it.

This place makes idiotic polls on the regular that get bumped a year or two after and they look truly embarrassing in hindsight. We just had a Mantha vs Nylander poll that recently resurfaced.

As for your last comment, Ottawa will actually have to get into the playoffs first. The amount of arrogance from 'SuMmEr oF PieRrE' lol

This might be one of the most embarrassing things I've ever read especially.

For sure. Nobody can predict the future.

Once upon a time there was a genuine discussion over whether Wade Redden or Zdeno Chara was the guy to build your blueline around. Hindsight makes it obvious, but at the time it was an unknown.

That's why they play the games as they say.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
At the same salary and term. Yes.
Also since Matthews plays center I probably do it anyway

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Too much certainty of Matthews going home to Arizona soon to not take the guy locked up long-term on a respectable contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad