Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I can't stand Discovery. I feel absolutely nothing for any of the characters and the Burnham character is a poor excuse for a captain. SNW is way better
Discovery season 2 with the cast of SNW was really good. It really went off the rails after that.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I can't stand Discovery. I feel absolutely nothing for any of the characters and the Burnham character is a poor excuse for a captain. SNW is way better
Anytime a show goes bizarro-world or alternate reality (same characters, different personalities) the result is usually cringy but I stuck with it and watched till the end. Agree that SNW is much better. Feels like a more authentic Star Trek experience (at least to me)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Johnson would look better. Even Cuylle would but for a different purpose.
Johnson needs the puck on his stick. Hes good on that 2nd line. Hes Zegras to Bedards Hughes.

Roy is good as a 2nd offensive option on a line because his positional play is super strong and hes a all around great player offensively, he fits in all over.

I dont know why you have such hate for Roy... Oh, ya, he was a Timmins pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will never know why bringing things to work on or weaknesses equivalate to saying that a prospect is a bust....Mystery of life.

Ways to go for Roy and Kidney. And things they HAVE to work on to be good NHL'ers. 'Cause that's the goal right? Unless the goal is to be a great junior player....not sure that's why NHL drafts exist...

Roy wasn't all bad yesterday. He made some very good plays. I just don't think he belongs on a Bedard-McTavish line. At all.

It's possible he doesn't fit well on that line. He might be better suited playing on another line. Because Roy's best attribute is his shot. McTavish and Bedard both are free flowing playmakers and shooters. And on a line with them, Roy might be the guy who has to go to the front of the net to screen.

I'd like to see him on the same line again tonight to see if it will be the same thing or if there was an adjustment.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Assuming they all reach their potential, the habs need a Mailloux a lot more than a Zellweger or Cormier.
Assuming that a guy that is clearly not on a trajectory to reach his potential reaches his potential... Bold move cotton.

We need a Drouin a lot more than a Caufield, assuming they all reach their potential.

It's possible he doesn't fit well on that line. He might be better suited playing on another line. Because Roy's best attribute is his shot. McTavish and Bedard both are free flowing playmakers and shooters. And on a line with them, Roy might be the guy who has to go to the front of the net to screen.

I'd like to see him on the same line again tonight to see if it will be the same thing or if there was an adjustment.
Hes had a number of great tips and redirection and quick shots in the slot. Roys greatest strength isnt his shot, its his hockey IQ. Hes one of the most adaptable players you can find and he can play pretty much any role offensively, though hes too slow to be the main carrier and hes not a crash and banger. I have no doubts he can play with these guys. McTavish also has a good inside game so he doesnt need to always be that inside man.

Out of all the forwards hes the one that has the best brain to follow them, with Stankoven.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Johnson needs the puck on his stick. Hes good on that 2nd line. Hes Zegras to Bedards Hughes.

Roy is good as a 2nd offensive option on a line because his positional play is super strong and hes a all around great player offensively, he fits in all over.

I dont know why you have such hate for Roy... Oh, ya, he was a Timmins pick.

And again...hoping a kid improves things means that we have hate for a player....lol. Never change bro. Hey, I love Kaiden Guhle....oh wait..no I hate him he's a Timmins pick. Shit...

They have things to work on...YOU HATE HIM! How old are you?

But hey, never talk about how Timmins prospects have something to improve. First Head Scout that keeps actually picking guys that are all already ready with nothing to improve.

Hey Mysak looked great! Or did he...no he didn't...he's a Timmins pick.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And again...hoping a kid improves things means that we have hate for a player....lol. Never change bro. Hey, I love Kaiden Guhle....oh wait..no I hate him he's a Timmins pick. Shit...

They have things to work on...YOU HATE HIM! How old are you?
Youre not though. Youre clearly overly critical of him. Probably more critical of Roy than ive ever seen you with any other players.

Saying he doesnt belong on the first line when he got a point and registered 6 high danger scoring chances himself.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming that a guy that is clearly not on a trajectory to reach his potential reaches his potential... Bold move cotton.

We need a Drouin a lot more than a Caufield, assuming they all reach their potential.

Yea no, both Zellweger and Cormier still have a ton to prove. They are great junior players, that's all they are right now.

The only reason Mailloux isn't a great junior player yet is because he hasn't played a lot of games due to suspension/injuries.

Reactions: Habano

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My quick assessment of what I witnessed from Roy and Kidney-
Roy is more developed currently but I think Kidney has more upside.
Kidney is in need of physical maturity much more than Roy and that will come in a few years.

Kidney is a smooth skater and that will be the difference as he grows into a man's body.

I am an total amateur so I am rarely right in prospect assessments however 😅😅

I think Roy has more of a shot at a top 6F quality vs Kidney being a 2C. Both have solid Q standard games and both will have to learn how to manage the pro game when they turn pro. Less time and space and more physical players who also skate well. Ability to overcome this is how they develop well. Drive and determination and how they are obsessive with their training.

Reactions: SwiftyHab and Tyson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yea no, both Zellweger and Cormier still have a ton to prove. They are great junior players, that's all they are right now.

The only reason Mailloux isn't a great junior player yet is because he hasn't played a lot of games due to suspension/injuries.
Mailloux hasn't even proven he can stick in the league these guys are top players in lmao

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stick in the league? You're really going to argue that Mailloux who basically missed a full year of hockey and had almost 0 ohl experience, yet still came in and scored at a near ppg rate isn't good enough for the OHL? lol.
16 career games. Well see. Im just saying, these two kids dominated, especially Zellweger, like no one before. Youre arguing for nothing, nobody would take Mailloux over these two today. Even TC decided so.

• Haha
Reactions: dralaf and Tyson

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
16 career games. Well see. Im just saying, these two kids dominated, especially Zellweger, like no one before. Youre arguing for nothing, nobody would take Mailloux over these two today. Even TC decided so.

Why would today matter? Your post was clearly talking about when the players are in the nhl:
snt it sad how Zellweger and Cormier are exactly what the Habs need on the back end? Tuch and Mailloux :/.

Mailloux could take longer to reach the nhl, but that doesn't mean he can't end up as good or better.

Reactions: Habano and Tyson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Youre not though. Youre clearly overly critical of him. Probably more critical of Roy than ive ever seen you with any other players.

Saying he doesnt belong on the first line when he got a point and registered 6 high danger scoring chances himself.
First, I'm a Q lover. That loves the Q too much and only talks about them. But then I happen to say that Roy, for me, doesn't belong on that line. I COULD BE WRONG. And frankly, when I bash a player, he makes me be wrong. But that's how I feel.

Have you not read me yesterday praising Kidney? While he played 3 minutes? Isn't he a Timmins pick? BUT is it because I also said that he needs to be stronger that I'm bashing him? Geez, I think Kidney could do a better job on that line...and he's STILL a Timmins pick. Come on man, enough of that crap already. I call it as I see it. Right now, I'm not a fan of Kapanen. BUt really liked what Trudeau has evolve in the Q. Btoh Timmins picks. Roy was insane in the Q this year. I've praised him. Continuously. But don't tell me that you think he doesn't need to improve his skating big time to make it.

Why would today matter? Your post was clearly talking about when the players are in the nhl:

Mailloux could take longer to reach the nhl, but that doesn't mean he can't end up as good or better.

Nobody knows what anybody will do. Not the point. Yep, might end up like Mailloux could be an insane player. He does have great qualities. But when it was time to talk, at that time, not hindisght, 'cause you know people uses hindsight when we blame scouts....people also uses hindsight to praise their own take too....when it was time to talk...you could have easily go Zellweger for his puck passing attributes and transition game. Easily. And we wouldn't have had this whole circus to deal with.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Despite lack of lower body strength Roy is pretty strong on the puck. He knows how to use his body to shield and keep possession. This is why he tends to come out of battles with puck.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I saw the game yesterday and I was not impressed by Team Canada. My instincts tell me they're not going far. Maybe it's because of the layoff and after two or three games they'll gel but I don't like their shooting (far target most of the time), that defense is as bad as the Habs' and there's no cohesion between the players.

As for the Habs' prospects:
Roy could really become something if the director of development can ameliorate his skating. Kidney looked lost the first couple of shifts but decided to start hitting during the third period. I think he only played one shift in the 3rd. I don't know what to make of him. Both are projects that need lots and lots of work.

Reactions: bopeep

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Despite lack of lower body strength Roy is pretty strong on the puck. He knows how to use his body to shield and keep possession. This is why he tends to come out of battles with puck.

Roy is such an awkward skater.
You guys describing Roy or Toffoli? 🤔

I have, not once in my life, seen two players that were so close in playstyle and talent.

Reactions: tooji

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mysak with an assist on the 2nd goal. Czechia up 2-0 on Finland.

Edit: He's listed as having an assist on Flashscore, but the official IIHF website doesn't have him listed as having an assist. I'm not watching since I'm at work. So I'm going by what I see on the stat sheet.

Edit #2: Now the IIHF website has awarded Mysak with the assist.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad