Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Couple of thoughts.

Roy better learn how to skate if he wants to play in the NHL. He is a B level Toffoli. I hope he gets there because he has so many other good qualities. But the skating needs heavy work.

Bedard is lights out and has one of the best shots I e ever seen. If we are lucky enough to get him, I kind of like him playing wing like he does with McTavish. Let him focus on being a pure sniper. Him and CC on opposite lines. Whew. Sexy.

Zellweger is an absolute beauty on the back end. Tons of composure....plays a pro style game.

Stankoven stood out as well. Reminded me of a slightly more offensive version of Gally. Looks lile him style wise.

Johnson has silky silky mitts. Gonna be an under the radar guy early but by the time he's 24 or 25 he will be an 80 point player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Roy's problem imo, isn't so much the skating, it's the lack of lower body strength and he's not a move my feet all the time or as much as he should kind of player. He can be contained physically as he's got to add mass and strength. The offense is legit though, no question. I think at worst he will be a AHL All Star type but this year will be telling as imo he does remind me a bit of Caufield defensively where at times out of no where the effort is just not there but then other times he will do good defensively because he is very good at forcing players to turn the puck over.

He's a guy that I hope can find a way to play with some more urgency in his game, move his feet move, get more involved physically although if the production is there then I won't be as concerned. If Drouin was putting up 70 pt seasons it's safe to say that he wouldn't be as hated on this board despite how frustrating things can be with him.

If he can add a decent amount of mass, strength over the next 4-5 years then that should help him a lot as long as it doesn't slow him down.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
So I thought J Roy played really well with the puck. He won most of his puck battles. He stole the puck more often than I can count. He protected the puck really well along the boards. He tipped a Bedard shot in the first few minutes and passed the puck really well. He didn’t get many passes as it seemed like a pass to Bedard strategy most of the night and Bedard just shot.

Wasn’t great positionally without the puck i found. Defensively he didn’t go to the places he needed to be to get a great pass or help anticipate where the play would be.

But overall, I really like what I saw tonight. Still a lot of work left but very good toolbox.

I thought Kidney played well in the third when he started to get some shifts but too small of a sample size

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The small crowd sizes of the non-Canada games are unreal. I think there were more fans in the stands in the bubble WJC. Very low levels of interest for this tournament in August especially in light of the Team Canada sexual assault scandals.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Roy is out there playing a pro game. Almost funny to see. Quite good defensively. He needs to receive more passes, he runs his PP. McTavish is quite annoying, he's taking it too easy. Bedard is so fun to look at play. Roy and McTavish needs to get open more, but I like how Roy is always in a good lane for a tip. We can trade Anderson, we have Kidney.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Isnt it sad how Zellweger and Cormier are exactly what the Habs need on the back end? Tuch and Mailloux :/.
Lukas Cormier is the typicall Q player Montreal should select anytime. I mean. He is a dman, at 16 years old. 36 pts in 63 games, +24. 0,57 ppg.
Second year, 36 pts in 44 games at 17 yo, +12. 0,81 ppg

In 2 years, The progression is insane, Im not a pro Q players and saying that we should to claim them all. But, this kind of player is mostly a sure bet, at the opposite of vejdemo, ikonen, kapanen, olofsson and company

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My quick assessment of what I witnessed from Roy and Kidney-
Roy is more developed currently but I think Kidney has more upside.
Kidney is in need of physical maturity much more than Roy and that will come in a few years.

Kidney is a smooth skater and that will be the difference as he grows into a man's body.

I am an total amateur so I am rarely right in prospect assessments however 😅😅

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So I missed the game.

Am I hearing that Roy is a bust?

I will never know why bringing things to work on or weaknesses equivalate to saying that a prospect is a bust....Mystery of life.

Ways to go for Roy and Kidney. And things they HAVE to work on to be good NHL'ers. 'Cause that's the goal right? Unless the goal is to be a great junior player....not sure that's why NHL drafts exist...

Roy wasn't all bad yesterday. He made some very good plays. I just don't think he belongs on a Bedard-McTavish line. At all.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
As a true trekkie should ;-) It's actually pretty good, I like it a fair bit more than Picard.
I can't stand Discovery. I feel absolutely nothing for any of the characters and the Burnham character is a poor excuse for a captain. SNW is way better

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Lukas Cormier is the typicall Q player Montreal should select anytime. I mean. He is a dman, at 16 years old. 36 pts in 63 games, +24. 0,57 ppg.
Second year, 36 pts in 44 games at 17 yo, +12. 0,81 ppg

In 2 years, The progression is insane, Im not a pro Q players and saying that we should to claim them all. But, this kind of player is mostly a sure bet, at the opposite of vejdemo, ikonen, kapanen, olofsson and company
great offensively, but pitches in way too much. When I watched the Canada game he was caught flat footed 3 or 4 times.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I will never know why bringing things to work on or weaknesses equivalate to saying that a prospect is a bust....Mystery of life.

Ways to go for Roy and Kidney. And things they HAVE to work on to be good NHL'ers. 'Cause that's the goal right? Unless the goal is to be a great junior player....not sure that's why NHL drafts exist...

Roy wasn't all bad yesterday. He made some very good plays. I just don't think he belongs on a Bedard-McTavish line. At all.
Nobody belongs on a Bedard line, amazing how much he hogged the puck yesterday. Stick dangle, shoot and miss, get the puck back, another dangle and shoot and miss again. No kidding he has more goals that assists in his hockey life. I mean I know you want the kid to shoot but yesterday was ridiculous.

Reactions: Habano and Redux91

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nobody belongs on a Bedard line, amazing how much he hogged the puck yesterday. Stick dangle, shoot and miss, get the puck back, another dangle and shoot and miss again. No kidding he has more goals that assists in his hockey life. I mean I know you want the kid to shoot but yesterday was ridiculous.
Johnson would look better. Even Cuylle would but for a different purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad