Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I trust our scouts on this one. There's very little consensus on picks 2-10 this year and I'd take pretty much all of those players in a heart beat as prospects. I'm not really attached to any of them more than the rest.
I still like levshunov best…. As I think he is the highest ceiling dmen in draft and fills a positional need. And I’m not high on Lindstrom or saliyev(specially as top 3 picks)

But I trust the scouts to get best player.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I still like levshunov best…. As I think he is the highest ceiling dmen in draft and fills a positional need. And I’m not high on Lindstrom or saliyev(specially as top 3 picks)

But I trust the scouts to get best player.

I'm happy taking whoever's left between Demidov and Lev.

But even Lindstrom would be a nice add, as a big guy with mobility, grit, and skill is exactly the kind of guy we've seen thrive in these playoffs. To add him and Gauthier and Colangelo could significantly transform our situation at wing moving forward, almost as much as adding Carlsson changed our center outlook.

Silayev is the big wild card. I get that his offense might not develop or translate, especially on smaller ice ... But conversely a guy with his size and mobility on smaller ice could be a major asset. And while not common, it's not unprecedented to take a defensive dman high ... And hey, guys with that size and mobility with game film against grown men aren't common either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm happy taking whoever's left between Demidov and Lev.

But even Lindstrom would be a nice add, as a big guy with mobility, grit, and skill is exactly the kind of guy we've seen thrive in these playoffs. To add him and Gauthier and Colangelo could significantly transform our situation at wing moving forward, almost as much as adding Carlsson changed our center outlook.

Silayev is the big wild card. I get that his offense might not develop or translate, especially on smaller ice ... But conversely a guy with his size and mobility on smaller ice could be a major asset. And while not common, it's not unprecedented to take a defensive dman high ... And hey, guys with that size and mobility with game film against grown men aren't common either.
I feel like silayev has obvious potential…. But I think there are a ton of question marks about him.

If he’s just a physical shutdown guy with minimal offensive ability, not an ideal top 3 pick. I’d be disappointed if he’s our pick at 3…. If we trade down and take him…. Not as disappointed

Lidstrom I’m fine with just not my preference

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think my top 10 at this point is:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Buium
6. Lindstrom
7. Dickinson
8. Parekh
9. Catton
10. Iginla

I think my hardest decision was between Levshunov and Silayev.
I'll join you in doing one since there's not much else to talk about

Celebrini
Silayev
Demidov
Buium
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Iginla
Dickinson
Catton
Parekh

I'm still not looking at any of these defensemen like any of them are on track to be number 1 guys or anything. Any one of them can surprise, obviously but I think the best you can hope for is a solid #2-#3 guy.

I tend not to care too much about which side of the ice they prefer as it's easier for defensemen to transition their natural position than forwards and if they can't, we can always make moves. What entices me about Silayev is his size and mobility which has shown to be effective against grown men at just 18 years old. The Ducks can leverage that to develop a guy that can choke up lanes, clear the crease, and knock guys off of the puck either in open ice or along the boards. And then you cross your fingers he can develop his puck moving/shooting enough to be good for 25-40 points a year. I just think the Ducks don't really have blueliners like that in their system, and to me, the trust he gets to defend against grown men in what is arguably the second best league in the world, thats a big plus for me.

I understand the hesitancy to use a third overall pick on a guy with potentially limited offensive potential so I'd be all for moving down if you can guarantee him. But as far as who I'd like this team to end up with aside from Celebrini, I think we're well set on OFDs for the foreseeable future. I know safe is boring, but Silayev might be the safest projection in this whole draft. Even Celebrini, who I consider Carlsson/Fantilli tier can end up a 65-75 point type guy rather than a franchise superstar. (I'd still take him first overall, don't get me wrong)

All that word salad said, if the Ducks do stay at 3, my preference would be that we end up with the best player possible if for nothing else then for trade pieces that can be leveraged to round out the roster as the team comes out of the rebuild.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Solberg has also played on the right side.

If they are set on trading up for a RD, Solberg likely qualifies as a candidate for that pick. They don’t specify a RHD, but rather a RD.

Jiricek isn’t worth trading up into the early teens for and Yakemchuk likely goes top 10, hell, he might go even top 5.

To be quite honest, it would not be surprising if Chicago goes with Levshunov at 2 if they really want an impact RD.

For some GMs, they might want players playing on their shooting side. Anaheim has drafted three left shot d-men who have been playing RD in their junior or college career such as LaCombe (4 years in the NCAA), Zellweger (4 years in CHL), and Hinds (4 years in CHL), but their GM wants them playing on their shooting side.

I'm not sold on Yakemchuk because he's all offense and no defense. At his size and weight (6'3 and 194 lbs) in the WHL for three seasons, he should know how to defend or be on the plus side of +/- rating with his offense. He produced 71 points and was a -6 rating. The team high was +29 and team low was -13.

Compare Yakemchuk to Dickinson, who also plays in the WHL. Dickinson is also 6'3 and 194 lbs. He scored 70 points and had a team leading +56 rating, which is the 2nd best +/- rating in the WHL overall; the team low was -14 rating.

Let's also compare discipline. Yakemchuk has 120 PIM whereas Dickinson had 30 PIM. Do you really want your top-5 pick in the sin bin that much, especially for a projected top-4 D?

Chicago has been doing well draft d-men beyond the top-10.

6'6 LD Vlasic was playing top pairing minutes this year as their top shutdow d-man. He was drafed in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft.​
6'4 LD Del Mastro, also drafted as a shutdown dman, has found offense since he was drafted in the 4th round of the 2021 draft. He did very well in the AHL and got called up.​
6'4 RD Sam Rinzel was drafted 25th overall in the 2022 draft. He's an OFD drafted out of high school, spent a full season in the USHL, and that a great outing in his rookie year in the NCAA with 28 points (6th on the team) and a team high +23 rating. The team low was -6 rating.​

They also have 6'4 RD Jones, their current top pairing RD in the NHL, signed for the next 6 years.

The problem Chicago is experiencing today and for the future is the lack of high end scoring on their forward lines. They had only two players score over 38 points in Bedard (61 pts) and Kurashev (54 pts). Compare that to the Ducks who had six players score over 38 points on the team. Anaheim will be adding Cutter Gauthier next year and has Colangelo nipping at the NHL.

2023-24 GF
Chi = 179​
Ana = 204​

I think Chicago should be thinking about adding significant firepower to their line up and I can think of two players: RW Demidov and C Lindstrom.

Maybe Chicago might be trading up for more offense in Trevor Connelly in addition to Demidov/Lindstrom?

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
For some GMs, they might want players playing on their shooting side. Anaheim has drafted three left shot d-men who have been playing RD in their junior or college career such as LaCombe (4 years in the NCAA), Zellweger (4 years in CHL), and Hinds (4 years in CHL), but their GM wants them playing on their shooting side.

I'm not sold on Yakemchuk because he's all offense and no defense. At his size and weight (6'3 and 194 lbs) in the WHL for three seasons, he should know how to defend or be on the plus side of +/- rating with his offense. He produced 71 points and was a -6 rating. The team high was +29 and team low was -13.

Compare Yakemchuk to Dickinson, who also plays in the WHL. Dickinson is also 6'3 and 194 lbs. He scored 70 points and had a team leading +56 rating, which is the 2nd best +/- rating in the WHL overall; the team low was -14 rating.

Let's also compare discipline. Yakemchuk has 120 PIM whereas Dickinson had 30 PIM. Do you really want your top-5 pick in the sin bin that much, especially for a projected top-4 D?

Chicago has been doing well draft d-men beyond the top-10.

6'6 LD Vlasic was playing top pairing minutes this year as their top shutdow d-man. He was drafed in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft.​
6'4 LD Del Mastro, also drafted as a shutdown dman, has found offense since he was drafted in the 4th round of the 2021 draft. He did very well in the AHL and got called up.​
6'4 RD Sam Rinzel was drafted 25th overall in the 2022 draft. He's an OFD drafted out of high school, spent a full season in the USHL, and that a great outing in his rookie year in the NCAA with 28 points (6th on the team) and a team high +23 rating. The team low was -6 rating.​

They also have 6'4 RD Jones, their current top pairing RD in the NHL, signed for the next 6 years.

The problem Chicago is experiencing today and for the future is the lack of high end scoring on their forward lines. They had only two players score over 38 points in Bedard (61 pts) and Kurashev (54 pts). Compare that to the Ducks who had six players score over 38 points on the team. Anaheim will be adding Cutter Gauthier next year and has Colangelo nipping at the NHL.

2023-24 GF
Chi = 179​
Ana = 204​

I think Chicago should be thinking about adding significant firepower to their line up and I can think of two players: RW Demidov and C Lindstrom.

Maybe Chicago might be trading up for more offense in Trevor Connelly in addition to Demidov/Lindstrom?

Regarding Yak, most of that - stems from playing on the Pk for a team that was 28-31 and missed the playoffs….

As far as the PIMs goes, I see it as a good thing. It’s easier to tame that beast than try to teach someone to become that when they don’t have the proclivity to be become/act it out naturally. Yakemchuks aggression is innate. He is almost like the Brady Tkachuk of defense.

Chicago has also selected two highly offensive forwards with their additional 1sts with. Agar and Moore. They really could go either way, however I just see too many question marks with the two forwards mentioned to take with the #2 pick and the d men available all have a higher likelihood of hitting their potentials than the fwds mentioned.

Also, while Connelly is good, he should be available on the latter half of the first and there are plenty of other players that have risen recently that would be available. Hell, he may even be available at 34

Reactions: Dirk316

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I feel like silayev has obvious potential…. But I think there are a ton of question marks about him.

If he’s just a physical shutdown guy with minimal offensive ability, not an ideal top 3 pick. I’d be disappointed if he’s our pick at 3…. If we trade down and take him…. Not as disappointed

Lidstrom I’m fine with just not my preference

I'd prefer we draft Dickinson over Silayev if we're sticking with defense (this assums that Lev goes #2). We get a shutdown d-man who can skate like the wind and has some offense. No idea why Dickinson gets overlooked so often. Dickinson is probably one of the few draftees that can go to the NHL next year.

If we go offense, I'm onboard with ya on Lindstrom. He's more of a goal scorer than Demidov, but there is a risk of that small sample and potential future back issues. That unicorn potential on our team, though...

Reactions: Zegras11

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Enjoy my victory?
Jesus some of you guys need to touch grass. I don’t even disagree with you, just saying it isn’t a sure thing.
I only responded b/c your post seemed petty to me...like you felt it was important to prove me wrong over a 1/2 inch. Especially since you didn't really even disagree with the post in general. Maybe the grass touching lies closer to home than you think it does.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’ve decide that if that Iginla kid is a chip off the old block when it comes to being a leader and a tough, badass, mofo, I’m down for going with him. If that kid comes close to having his old man’s career I’d be ecstatic.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I’ve decide that if that Iginla kid is a chip off the old block when it comes to being a leader and a tough, badass, mofo, I’m down for going with him. If that kid comes close to having his old man’s career I’d be ecstatic.
he'll end up in calgary somehow

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I only responded b/c your post seemed petty to me...like you felt it was important to prove me wrong over a 1/2 inch. Especially since you didn't really even disagree with the post in general. Maybe the grass touching lies closer to home than you think it does.
I disagree with the idea that PV would automatically remove everyone under 6’2 from his draft board. In fact I think it is absurd. I just don’t think Buium is the guy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I disagree with the idea that PV would automatically remove everyone under 6’2 from his draft board. In fact I think it is absurd. I just don’t think Buium is the guy.
Then you just should have said that in the first place.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I tend not to care too much about which side of the ice they prefer as it's easier for defensemen to transition their natural position than forwards and if they can't, we can always make moves. What entices me about Silayev is his size and mobility which has shown to be effective against grown men at just 18 years old. The Ducks can leverage that to develop a guy that can choke up lanes, clear the crease, and knock guys off of the puck either in open ice or along the boards. And then you cross your fingers he can develop his puck moving/shooting enough to be good for 25-40 points a year.

Even if his offense develops, between guys like Minty and Zellweger and even Luneau, he might not get enough PP time to put up numbers. Which is fine.

I understand the hesitancy to use a third overall pick on a guy with potentially limited offensive potential so I'd be all for moving down if you can guarantee him. But as far as who I'd like this team to end up with aside from Celebrini, I think we're well set on OFDs for the foreseeable future. I know safe is boring, but Silayev might be the safest projection in this whole draft. Even Celebrini, who I consider Carlsson/Fantilli tier can end up a 65-75 point type guy rather than a franchise superstar. (I'd still take him first overall, don't get me wrong)

Yeah, I guess in my mind he's not my first choice, but I also would not be disappointed if he is our pick. What he potentially adds is really valuable.

A not-insignificant number of top 5 picks never amount to much. From that perspective, if he can be a dominant defensive presence both in his own zone and in transition, that's absolutely worth a 3OA pick.

The odds of him reaching full potential at both ends may be low. But what are the odds of him reaching full potential defensively and being dominant at that end? If his best is to be late-career Scott Stevens, or early career Chara, would that really be a bad return for 3OA? It may not be a home run, but it's still a good pick at that point.

Reactions: HanSolo

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Not if one of the other 7 teams ahead of them (not counting the sharks) decides otherwise. I think Button has him up to 4 or 5 now.
I think if Calgary is smart they should try to make it happen. He'd put butts in seats just with his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad