Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Or, OR, you could not assume everyone is trying to start a pissing match. Just food for thought :)
I won’t belabor the point any further except to say that the Ducks currently have 8 picks in the top 100 of this draft. Several taken will likely be defensemen. We’ll see how many of those are under 6’2”. My guess is zero.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I won’t belabor the point any further except to say that the Ducks currently have 8 picks in the top 100 of this draft. Several taken will likely be defensemen. We’ll see how many of those are under 6’2”. My guess is zero.
You may be right, and it still doesn't mean he will not be taking one under 6'2, "ever", like you said in your OP.

Just like Bob Murray never drafted a Russian skater.... until he did. Obviously being shorter is a negative quality to PV. Same with injury history, or "Russian Factor", or off ice issues, or skating issues. They all can be overcome though.

I doubt PV would pass on midget Cale Makar now.

Reactions: Deuce22

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
A quick interesting note on a brief look at the EP draft guide is that industry scouts seem to be much higher on silayev and lower on levshunov than the public scouts.

If anyone gets it, the "industry chatter" sections of each top prospect might inspire some clues on how the draft is going to go.

Reactions: Kalv and Beckett

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Solberg is shooting up the lists.
Demidov is top 3 on every list.
Levshunov is top 4 on every list.
EP is a little low on Yakemchuk. If he drops to 17 the Ducks better be doing everything they can to get up there to get him.

It's interesting to read the NHL scouts comments on Silayev. They are all positive and even the ones recognizing his offense falling off say they arent concerned.
“You watch this kid in the KHL, and I just don’t know what’s missing. He’s big. He’s physical. He’s mobile. He moves the puck well. Ithink the fact that he doesn’t have a lot of points… this is like throwing a 17-year-old into the AHL and expecting them to produce. Ifyou put him with his age group, he’d put up points. This is another Victor Hedman in the making.“I don’t care that he fell off in the second half. It’s the second-most difficult league in the world. I don’t think anyone appreciateshow difficult it is to play in the KHL. Just being able to play against men at all at 17-years-old is massive. I think you guys underratehim. I’d take him ahead of Levshunov.” – Western Conference scout, May 2024

They are all like this. 9 quotes that are all positive at worst and drooling at best.

Whereas Lev gets this:
“I see the splashes here and there, but he’s just so unimpressive most of the time. I just wonder if he’ll be able to churn it up and bemore impactful on a regular basis at the next level, because he’s not doing it now for me.” – Western Conference executive, May2024

NHL scouts clearly love Silayev. This follows Bob's list that has Silayev ahead of Levshunov.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A quick interesting note on a brief look at the EP draft guide is that industry scouts seem to be much higher on silayev and lower on levshunov than the public scouts.

If anyone gets it, the "industry chatter" sections of each top prospect might inspire some clues on how the draft is going to go.
Good observation. Who do you think the Ducks might be targeting based upon those industry scouts notes? IMO it has to be one of Levshunov, Silayev, or Dickinson but each has his pros and cons.

Solberg is shooting up the lists.
Demidov is top 3 on every list.
Levshunov is top 4 on every list.
EP is a little low on Yakemchuk. If he drops to 17 the Ducks better be doing everything they can to get up there to get him.

It's interesting to read the NHL scouts comments on Silayev. They are all positive and even the ones recognizing his offense falling off say they arent concerned.

They are all like this. 9 quotes that are all positive at worst and drooling at best.

Whereas Lev gets this:

NHL scouts clearly love Silayev. This follows Bob's list that has Silayev ahead of Levshunov.
Which is why I am quite hopeful that the Ducks will take Silayev if Chicago doesn't.

Edit: Realistically I don't see any way for the Ducks to move into the top half of the draft unless Zegras is involved.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Good observation. Who do you think the Ducks might be targeting based upon those industry scouts notes? IMO it has to be one of Levshunov, Silayev, or Dickinson but each has his pros and cons.

Which is why I am quite hopeful that the Ducks will take Silayev if Chicago doesn't.

Edit: Realistically I don't see any way for the Ducks to move into the top half of the draft unless Zegras is involved.
The Sharks traded down from 11 for the 27, 34, and 45 in 2022.
The Ducks will have 31/32, 35, 58, 66, 68, and 79 all in the first 3 rounds. I could see it happening.

I said this before but honestly I would trade our 2025 pick with top 5 protection if they have Yak close to the Silayev/Levshunov level and he slips.

Drafting Silayev/Levshunov and Yakemchuk basically locks up our defense for a decade if things pan out.

Mintyukov-Silavev
Zellweger-Yakemchuk
LaCombe-Luneau

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The Sharks traded down from 11 for the 27, 34, and 45 in 2022.
The Ducks will have 31/32, 35, 58, 66, 68, and 79 all in the first 3 rounds. I could see it happening.

I said this before but honestly I would trade our 2025 pick with top 5 protection if they have Yak close to the Silayev/Levshunov level and he slips.

Drafting Silayev/Levshunov and Yakemchuk basically locks up our defense for a decade if things pan out.

Mintyukov-Silavev
Zellweger-Yakemchuk
LaCombe-Luneau
It would be a great trade if PV can swing it but the drop-off in talent after the top 15 or so picks is so severe that I think the cost is going to be very high. Time will tell.

I'm probably in the minority but I think PV would love to trade Zegras if he can find a good deal. If he can find a team in the top 10 or so (maybe Montreal at 5?) I think it would be a long term upgrade to add a Dickinson or Yakemchuk in addition to Silayev. As you said, the D would be set for the next decade once those players set into the lineup in a couple of years.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
EP is incredibly critical of silayev in their game breakdowns. They make him seem pretty limited in everything but size and movement speed.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Really enjoyed what I read about Tory pitner. I hope we target him with Boston's second rounder or one of our earlier thirds.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
“The talent is there, the offence is there… I’d rather play against him than have him on my team. I’m not a fan. He’s just soft. He didn’t interview well. That could be a really disappointing pick. You just can’t bet on someone that high who is that easy to play against. I hope someone else takes him high.” – Western Conference scout, May 2024

A scout on yakemchuk, God damn.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
EP is incredibly critical of silayev in their game breakdowns. They make him seem pretty limited in everything but size and movement speed.

I have to admit, I find the level of competition argument pretty compelling though. He should be graded on a much different scale than guys playing against teenagers or college kids.

Again, I've not seen any of these guys, but from the sound of it Lev is more likely to reach full two-way potential, while Silayev possibly has a very high probability of being a defensive stalwart but lower probability of developing much offensively. Is that the general read on things? If that's the case, tbh I could go either way on that.

Reactions: tomd

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I have to admit, I find the level of competition argument pretty compelling though. He should be graded on a much different scale than guys playing against teenagers or college kids.

Again, I've not seen any of these guys, but from the sound of it Lev is more likely to reach full two-way potential, while Silayev possibly has a very high probability of being a defensive stalwart but lower probability of developing much offensively. Is that the general read on things? If that's the case, tbh I could go either way on that.
They hammer the hockey sense issues over and over again.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Levshunov definitely has the higher offensive ceiling but there are questions about his level of engagement and defensive positioning. Silayev is all projection at this point. How a team projects him will determine where he gets drafted. Anywhere from 2-12. Dickinson is a nice blend of the two and there is less risk but probably less reward. Teams picking in the top 5 this year have some really tough decisions to make.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't really see the hockey IQ issues, thought he processed the game very well for a kid playing in the KHL.
I've never watched him play, so I can't speak to any of it. Just from reading the 30 or so game reports from from the five or six scouts they all voiced serious concerns about his processing ability.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

And that would be a really stupid trade unless the team trading the first for Zegras sends back a good young roster piece too, which I don't see any team doing with where Z's value must be at right now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think @Static brought up the fact of "what history of potential high offense exists with Silayev?"

Silayev
D-1, MHL: 41 games, 2g + 6a = 8pts (0.195 ppg) and -3 rating (2nd worst on the team)
D+0, KHL: 63 games, 3g + 8a = 11 pts (0.175 ppg) and -9 rating (3rd worst on the team)

The only reason Silayev got hyped offensively was due to his first nine games in the KHL.

SilayevKHLD+0
Game SetGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Total
63​
3​
8​
11​
0.17​
-9​
1 to 9
9​
1​
5​
6​
0.67​
1​
10 to 63
54​
2​
3​
5​
0.09​
-10​

Should one be expecting high offensive output from Silayev? His totality in the past two seasons does not suggest there's enough offense there to become a 2-way D. And his defense isn't on par like Hampus Lindholm's defense in his D+0 season. Lindholm did show some offensive potential in his D+0 season.

Hampus, D+0
LeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
J18 Elit
1​
1​
3​
4​
4.00​
7​
J 20 Super Elit
28​
5​
12​
17​
0.61​
25​
HockeyAllsvenskan
20​
1​
3​
4​
0.20​
-1​
playoff Kvalserien SHL
10​
1​
4​
5​
0.50​
5​

If the Ducks want a shutdown D with potential offense to become a 2-way D, then go with Dickinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad