Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We probably won’t know for 5 years. And even the right pick can not pan out because of another factor like injuries. Look at Drysdale.

It’s why drafting is such a crap shoot.
Agree. I just feel that the fact that there is such a wide diversity of opinion on where those guys slot in means there is less truly top talent than in perhaps other years. If a team misses on a top ten pick this year they could really look like a real dufus. Hope that’s not us.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Hmmm... Back in 2019, the Ducks had a contingent trade with the 18th overall pick dangling the 29th and 39th pick. That's an 11 spot jump. The trade didn't fall through as the prospect we wanted got selected at 17th, who was C Peyton Krebs. Krebs tore his Achilles weeks before the draft, which caused his drop in the draft.

Chicago is armed with the 18th, 34th, and 50th picks. They might be setting up to try to secure an RD on draft day. At pick 34, Chicago might miss out on the next tier of RD's in 6'3 Elick (shutdown), 6'3 Badinka (2-way), or 6'3 Emery (shutdown). All three have been rising up the draft. Also, San Jose picks ahead of them in the 2nd round at pick 33.

Why would they want to trade up for an RD?
Maybe they are set on RW Demidov (or C Lindstrom) with the #2 pick.​

Mock Drafts:
MyNHLdraft has Yakemchuk going 13th OA.​
Tankathon has Yakemchuk going 14th OA.​

Possibility #1.
Their target is Yakemchuk if he falls out of the top-10. To secure Yakemchuk, Chicago needs to move up ahead of San Jose's 14th pick.​

Possibility #2.
Their target is move up to secure RD Jiricek. If Yakemchuk goes into the top-10, then Jiricek is the next available RD. Again, they might have to leapfrog San Jose as they could be in the mix for Jiricek if Yakemchuk is taken earlier. Jiricek is in a similar boat with Krebs, such that they have talent, but injury has dropped their stock.​

Potential trade partner:
The Wild don't have a 3rd round pick. They could be trade partners. In moving down five spots, they get #18 and #50. Or #18 and #34 if Chicago is that desperate.​

Why Jiricek?
From THW:
Heading into 2023-24, Adam Jiricek was being mentioned alongside top-10 locks Artyom Levshunov and Sam Dickinson. Now, he’s dropped to the top 20 in a few rankings and could end up being a steal for a team that is on track to make the playoffs this season. This drop is not based on performance, though, as he’s been injured since the first game of the 2024 World Juniors. After having surgery on his knee shortly after, he has also been ruled out of the 2024 U18 World Championship, yet another showcase event for scouts to further evaluate the top prospects.

Chicago could be getting a top-10 RD in Jiricek. And because Chicago isn't in any hurry to make the playoffs, they can take their time with Jiricek's development.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ranking the players from 2-10 is really tough and it’s been difficult to create the tiers and will likely come down to fit which I hate because the best players available is likeliest to be the better decision and we should be trusting our scouts.

Our strategy comes down to what the Blackhawks will do. Everyone initially thought Demidov, but I was leaning Levshunov… the past few days I’m starting to leaning towards the Hawks picking Buium. Only Macklin is viewed as NHL ready. Buium is just one year out and that is valuable for a rebuild, plus he is the most well rounded, played in a more mature league, is a winner and gamer, has high end hockey sense and intangibles. He’s starting to look like a potential top pair with a #3 floor. Sure Levshunov is more physically ready and projectable but the hockey sense might have more value and Zeev looks more likely to be a PP QB than Levshunov.

If we aren’t really set on a player we should consider trading down. Montreal wants a forward like Demidov, Columbus sound like they want Silayev/Levshunov, Ottawa sound like they want Parekh, Calgary fans want Igilna… all three of those teams have a late 1st. Utah has rumors that they want Silayev too. Would it be better to have the leftover player at 9th (maybe a Yakemchuk, Lindstrom, Dickinson, or Parekh), plus a bunch of late 1st? Even a single trade down could mitigate risk if we went for Lindstrom with his injury concern, or if we went a bit off the board like adding another offensive defender with defensive questions like Parekh/Yakemchuk. I hope Verbeek is more willing to entertain offers unlike last year when the CBJ called…

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ranking the players from 2-10 is really tough and it’s been difficult to create the tiers and will likely come down to fit which I hate because the best players available is likeliest to be the better decision and we should be trusting our scouts.

Our strategy comes down to what the Blackhawks will do. Everyone initially thought Demidov, but I was leaning Levshunov… the past few days I’m starting to leaning towards the Hawks picking Buium. Only Macklin is viewed as NHL ready. Buium is just one year out and that is valuable for a rebuild, plus he is the most well rounded, played in a more mature league, is a winner and gamer, has high end hockey sense and intangibles. He’s starting to look like a potential top pair with a #3 floor. Sure Levshunov is more physically ready and projectable but the hockey sense might have more value and Zeev looks more likely to be a PP QB than Levshunov.

If we aren’t really set on a player we should consider trading down. Montreal wants a forward like Demidov, Columbus sound like they want Silayev/Levshunov, Ottawa sound like they want Parekh, Calgary fans want Igilna… all three of those teams have a late 1st. Utah has rumors that they want Silayev too. Would it be better to have the leftover player at 9th (maybe a Yakemchuk, Lindstrom, Dickinson, or Parekh), plus a bunch of late 1st? Even a single trade down could mitigate risk if we went for Lindstrom with his injury concern, or if we went a bit off the board like adding another offensive defender with defensive questions like Parekh/Yakemchuk. I hope Verbeek is more willing to entertain offers unlike last year when the CBJ called…
I think trading down to 5-8 is prob worth it if we don’t have interest in Demidov or lindstrom, and Chicago goes levshunov

Prob add another 1st for the troubles or solid prospect/young player

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Hmmm... Back in 2019, the Ducks had a contingent trade with the 18th overall pick dangling the 29th and 39th pick. That's an 11 spot jump. The trade didn't fall through as the prospect we wanted got selected at 17th, who was C Peyton Krebs. Krebs tore his Achilles weeks before the draft, which caused his drop in the draft.

Chicago is armed with the 18th, 34th, and 50th picks. They might be setting up to try to secure an RD on draft day. At pick 34, Chicago might miss out on the next tier of RD's in 6'3 Elick (shutdown), 6'3 Badinka (2-way), or 6'3 Emery (shutdown). All three have been rising up the draft. Also, San Jose picks ahead of them in the 2nd round at pick 33.

Why would they want to trade up for an RD?
Maybe they are set on RW Demidov (or C Lindstrom) with the #2 pick.​

Mock Drafts:
MyNHLdraft has Yakemchuk going 13th OA.​
Tankathon has Yakemchuk going 14th OA.​

Possibility #1.
Their target is Yakemchuk if he falls out of the top-10. To secure Yakemchuk, Chicago needs to move up ahead of San Jose's 14th pick.​

Possibility #2.
Their target is move up to secure RD Jiricek. If Yakemchuk goes into the top-10, then Jiricek is the next available RD. Again, they might have to leapfrog San Jose as they could be in the mix for Jiricek if Yakemchuk is taken earlier. Jiricek is in a similar boat with Krebs, such that they have talent, but injury has dropped their stock.​

Potential trade partner:
The Wild don't have a 3rd round pick. They could be trade partners. In moving down five spots, they get #18 and #50. Or #18 and #34 if Chicago is that desperate.​

Why Jiricek?
From THW:
Heading into 2023-24, Adam Jiricek was being mentioned alongside top-10 locks Artyom Levshunov and Sam Dickinson. Now, he’s dropped to the top 20 in a few rankings and could end up being a steal for a team that is on track to make the playoffs this season. This drop is not based on performance, though, as he’s been injured since the first game of the 2024 World Juniors. After having surgery on his knee shortly after, he has also been ruled out of the 2024 U18 World Championship, yet another showcase event for scouts to further evaluate the top prospects.

Chicago could be getting a top-10 RD in Jiricek. And because Chicago isn't in any hurry to make the playoffs, they can take their time with Jiricek's development.
Jiricek could also fall to the latter half of the first. Can’t see Chicago wasting capital for that much of a risk. it’s likely between Yakemchuk or Stian Solberg, who I believe won’t make it past #20. Unless, they want to add some size up front and select 6’7 C Dean Letourneau, which is a player that is going to be selected higher than expected

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
If you really want someone you have to just bite the bullet and select them. There is no way to think you can trade down and still be assured of getting who you want.
Yeah, but what if you really want 3-4 guys? Or 0 guys, and just kind of want 3-4 guys?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah, but what if you really want 3-4 guys? Or 0 guys, and just kind of want 3-4 guys?

There are probably a lot of factors. One of those factors is how much is coming back to the Ducks for the #3 pick. Former GM Murray often received calls about the 2021 #3 pick and the 2020 #6 pick. He didn't feel the return for the pick moved the needle for what talent was present at the pick.

But if everyone thinks the next tier after Celebrini are interchangeable, then why trade up? I believe the Ducks have their tiers between #2 - 12. I'd rather not gamble and lose the player(s) they wanted. Get the player you want at your pick in the top-10.

Reactions: Trojans86

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Jiricek could also fall to the latter half of the first. Can’t see Chicago wasting capital for that much of a risk. it’s likely between Yakemchuk or Stian Solberg, who I believe won’t make it past #20. Unless, they want to add some size up front and select 6’7 C Dean Letourneau, which is a player that is going to be selected higher than expected

Based upon Blackhawk media, the focus on defense would be building up the right side. Hence, Yakemchuk and Jiricek. Solberg is a LD.

If the Hawks are set on trading up for defense, specifically RD, then they're probably selecting a scoring forward at #2 overall. That's the subtle point of the post because it means RD Levshunov would be available at #3.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
There being no difference of tier players between 2-12 is just such a media talking point. I’d guarantee our scouts have a guy they want, and they won’t entertain a trade down unless it’s heavily in our favor.

Those things are not mutually exclusive. I’m sure we have guys we strongly prefer, just like other teams do.

What I believe is unique about this year (not just a media talking point) is that there much less consensus, and much less seperating players in the 2-12 range than most years.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Those things are not mutually exclusive. I’m sure we have guys we strongly prefer, just like other teams do.

What I believe is unique about this year (not just a media talking point) is that there much less consensus, and much less seperating players in the 2-12 range than most years.
I think the point for me is really that we could take anyone at 3 who is ranked 2-12 and management would be happy. It also makes moving down harder as you're less able to gauge the value.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
People say there's little difference between the players from 2-10 because they see multiple different media publications and mock drafts having vastly different rankings. This shouldn't be taken to mean that every team sees these players equally. The Ducks front office/scouting staff is one entity and has formed their own ranking.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If you really have 3-4 guys rated as a toss up, and don’t care who among them you get, then sure trade down but not more than the 3-4 places. And I don’t believe for a minute our scouts don’t have preferences among them all.

But people here are suggesting trading down to get player X because they seem confident they know player X won’t be drafted by the teams we would drop below. That’s where I disagree. IMO, it’s way too unpredictable who will be taken where. If you have a preference (and I’m confident our scouts will have a preference) you bite the bullet and just take them at 3.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Based upon Blackhawk media, the focus on defense would be building up the right side. Hence, Yakemchuk and Jiricek. Solberg is a LD.

If the Hawks are set on trading up for defense, specifically RD, then they're probably selecting a scoring forward at #2 overall. That's the subtle point of the post because it means RD Levshunov would be available at #3.
Solberg has also played on the right side.

If they are set on trading up for a RD, Solberg likely qualifies as a candidate for that pick. They don’t specify a RHD, but rather a RD.

Jiricek isn’t worth trading up into the early teens for and Yakemchuk likely goes top 10, hell, he might go even top 5.

To be quite honest, it would not be surprising if Chicago goes with Levshunov at 2 if they really want an impact RD.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
This time of every year is almost mind numbing to me. So many people here, trying to predict the future and read minds. All so they can gloat later in the year if they had the guess that was closest to right.

Wake me when it's October...

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
This time of every year is almost mind numbing to me. So many people here, trying to predict the future and read minds. All so they can gloat later in the year if they had the guess that was closest to right.

Wake me when it's October...
Eh it's more like we have nothing else to talk about. The alternative is that this forum is dead for 4-5 months.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think my top 10 at this point is:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Buium
6. Lindstrom
7. Dickinson
8. Parekh
9. Catton
10. Iginla

I think my hardest decision was between Levshunov and Silayev.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think my top 10 at this point is:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Buium
6. Lindstrom
7. Dickinson
8. Parekh
9. Catton
10. Iginla

I think my hardest decision was between Levshunov and Silayev.
I feel like those next 3 after after Celebrini would be my next tier of player based only off scouting reports then another tier for the rest (Lindstrom would be in the second tier if I weren't so traumatized by injuries). I feel like this team will eventually be able to score goals, Silayev (if he hits what scouts think he can) could be the type of player that pushes is over the top. I wonder what the ranking is between Ducks scouts

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I voted Demidov simply because I’m not all that confident in our current crop of young forwards. He isn’t necessarily the greatest fit being a left handed shot, so I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if we picked a d man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad