Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
What point? There aren't any other Forward options like last year compared to this year. If Carlsson wasn't in last year's draft, then we're picking Fantilli. We definitely weren't in on the shorter Michkov.

You brought up last year's example to allude to this year's draft. Then, I'm inserting context to your last year's example to this year's draft and what you're alluding to loses logic.
Michkov's own agent said he almost went 2nd to the Ducks but the ultimately went with Carlsson.

When asked about Michkov’s mysterious pre-draft process that included refusing to interview with specific teams, Fedotov first revealed that Michkov almost went second overall to the Anaheim Ducks. The Ducks eventually ended up going with Swedish center Leo Carlsson.

“Anaheim scout Konstantin Krylov called me,” Fedotov said. “Our most legendary scout of NHL clubs. They had a video conference. Anaheim seriously considered Matvei Michkov.”

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i was on board with lindstrom, but it seems like the back injury is still bothering him and that's concerning

1717046473556.png

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I had him high on my list but that might be a no go now. Just too risky with what talent will also be available.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Michkov's own agent said he almost went 2nd to the Ducks but the ultimately went with Carlsson.

When asked about Michkov’s mysterious pre-draft process that included refusing to interview with specific teams, Fedotov first revealed that Michkov almost went second overall to the Anaheim Ducks. The Ducks eventually ended up going with Swedish center Leo Carlsson.

“Anaheim scout Konstantin Krylov called me,” Fedotov said. “Our most legendary scout of NHL clubs. They had a video conference. Anaheim seriously considered Matvei Michkov.”
This does not match what Verbeek has said publicly.

Ever since we secured the #2 pick, Pat said the team wants to draft a center with size, which very obviously were between Leo/Fanta.
Then Pat said they were pretty fast almost unanimosly locked on the evntual pick - Leo.

"Seriously considered" sounds like a massive stretch. Sure he was considered, but i don't think it was seriously

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This does not match what Verbeek has said publicly.

Ever since we secured the #2 pick, Pat said the team wants to draft a center with size, which very obviously were between Leo/Fanta.
Then Pat said they were pretty fast almost unanimosly locked on the evntual pick - Leo.

"Seriously considered" sounds like a massive stretch. Sure he was considered, but i don't think it was seriously
I'd be willing to bet that it was just that Krylov pushed for him hard and the word back to his agent was that Anaheim met about Michkov often or at least that he was in consideration. If the agent was even actually told anything about it.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I dont know why the agent would lie about Anaheim when they were honest that there were teams he was not interested in playing for.

Anyways, the team will have full access to the medical reports so I think it is safe to say if there are still issues with his back they will know before hand.

Reactions: Kalv

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I dont know why the agent would lie about Anaheim when they were honest that there were teams he was not interested in playing for.

Anyways, the team will have full access to the medical reports so I think it is safe to say if there are still issues with his back they will know before hand.
It makes his client look good and desirable. "He was talented enough to be the two pick in the draft" sounds good. It's the same reason all the GMs who pass on a guy say "he was second on our board at that spot." Different sport, but there are like 20 baseball GMs who say Mike Trout was second on their draft board, it's just that the first player on their board fell to them. It seems like they were very good at talent evaluation, just a little bad luck kept them from actually drafting him. Mitchkov is a good enough player to have gone number two, just a little bad luck kept him from going there.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
i was on board with lindstrom, but it seems like the back injury is still bothering him and that's concerning

View attachment 877340

The last comment is a sigh of relief. Although, I would like to know if that "common sports injury" is a recurring one. It still looks like he'll be a top-10 pick. If that's true, then I don't know why teams would shy away from him at the top of the draft? If Lindstrom's injury required surgery, then his stock would probably plummet like Tristan Luneau's. To this day, Luneau still hasn't got back that initial burst in his skating.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It makes his client look good and desirable. "He was talented enough to be the two pick in the draft" sounds good. It's the same reason all the GMs who pass on a guy say "he was second on our board at that spot." Different sport, but there are like 20 baseball GMs who say Mike Trout was second on their draft board, it's just that the first player on their board fell to them. It seems like they were very good at talent evaluation, just a little bad luck kept them from actually drafting him. Mitchkov is a good enough player to have gone number two, just a little bad luck kept him from going there.

From what I recall about Trout pre-draft was that he wasn't heavily scouted because it's rare to find prospects in the northeast. Most high school prospects come from warmer climates like CA, TX, and the southeast. Anaheim owned picks 24 and 25 in the 2009 MLB draft. The Angels knew what Trout's talent would become, but they didn't want to show their hand and drafted him with their second pick of consecutive picks in the first round. This way, they didn't have to overpay Trout to get him to sign. Maybe Trout wasn't the best example since he fell to 25th overall in the draft.

Everyone knew about Michkov, but there was this who Russian-thing and Michkov having a desired places to go and not got. Although, Central Scouting (EU) did have Carlsson above Michkov. Verbeek was looking for a center, as shared above by @Kalv .So yeah, it makes his client look good and desirable to say Anaheim was looking into Michkov.

Reactions: Kalv and eaterfan

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lindstrom situation is reading eerily similar to Gabe Vilardi. Likely a no doubt top 3-5 guy in his draft if not for the back issues, but fell to #11. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully for the kid's sake, his back problems are completely behind him.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
From what I recall about Trout pre-draft was that he wasn't heavily scouted because it's rare to find prospects in the northeast. Most high school prospects come from warmer climates like CA, TX, and the southeast. Anaheim owned picks 24 and 25 in the 2009 MLB draft. The Angels knew what Trout's talent would become, but they didn't want to show their hand and drafted him with their second pick of consecutive picks in the first round. This way, they didn't have to overpay Trout to get him to sign. Maybe Trout wasn't the best example since he fell to 25th overall in the draft.

Everyone knew about Michkov, but there was this who Russian-thing and Michkov having a desired places to go and not got. Although, Central Scouting (EU) did have Carlsson above Michkov. Verbeek was looking for a center, as shared above by @Kalv .So yeah, it makes his client look good and desirable to say Anaheim was looking into Michkov.
You are correct about why a lot of teams passed on Trout. Additionally, it was a particularly rainy season his draft year so a lot of games got cancelled. This left even fewer scouts who could see him.

But I'm not commenting on why either player fell. I'm just saying people lie about alternate scenarios to make themselves, or in this case, their client look good. For example Billy Beane came out after and said he was deciding between Trout and Grant Green. Saying they loved Trout makes it seem like they are really good at scouting and just got unlucky because they liked Green more. They look like they know what they are doing. They are basically saying "We evaluated this stud correctly. We just overrated Green a little." I'm sure 17-18 other GMs said the same thing. None of them took him and it makes you look bad if you missed on a guy who was the best player in baseball 13 months later. You wouldn't have much confidence in the front office if they said "we thought Trout sucked. We had him as a 3rd round talent."

Mitchkov's agent is basically saying that in an alternate reality, the Ducks would have taken him and therefore his client is really good at hockey and would have been the 2 pick.

If in 5 years, Carlsson is a 3rd line center and Mitchkov is scoring 50 goals a season, I'm sure Verbeek will be saying it was a coin flip choice. If Leo is centering the top line on a cup contending Ducks team, I'm sure he'll be saying that it was always going to be Leo and they knew he was special from the jump.

Last edited:

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal

My main takeaway from this is that Ducks have a russian scout? and one that is respected by KHL teams/agents? Barstool Bob must have just shit out a diamond from his ass from the anxiety at hearing that

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Top 3 this year feels like top 10 other years
I know. I think there's still a difference maker to be had though. Our staff is good at drafting D and good at spotting forward talent in the top 5 range. This spot in this draft seems tailored to our scouting team's strengths.

Reactions: lwvs84

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023

I think this is just because last year's draft was so good at the very top. Only Celebrini is in the top tier from last year. This draft seems better than the 22 draft. Plus, a lot of scouts have 5-6 defensemen rated higher than the first defenseman in last year's draft, and last year's draft was really really good. People are forgetting all the questions about last year's players already. Could Carlsson skate well enough? Did Fantilli have the hockey sense? Did Smith have the size?

Reactions: Kalv

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I think the more accurate point is that the 1st tier is really small and the 2nd tier is really large.

Look at 2020, there was a clear top tier of 3, then the next 4-5 guys were the second tier.
2019, a top tier of 2 guys, a second tier of 4-5 guys. Seider was not at this level pre draft.

I think this year is a lot like 2021, with 1 guy in his own tier, and then like 8 guys in the second tier. We had #3 there and that turned out okay.

Not every year will be like 2023. That draft probably had 4 guys in the same tier as Celebrini and 1 guy a tier above. Thats insane.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I just keep hoping it's not like 02 where it ultimately ends up being a bunch of chumps.
It's pretty rare to have a top 4 without one good player. 2012 is the only one I can think of where the top 4 didn't produce one top 6/4 player. Even 2002 had Nash and Bouwmeester in the top 4.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think this year is a lot like 2021, with 1 guy in his own tier, and then like 8 guys in the second tier. We had #3 there and that turned out okay.

I agree and I think the nice thing about having #3 in that situation again is that Madden and Verbeek get to pick their favorite out of that group. Even if they were hoping Beniers would fall that year, McTavish is a great consolation prize, and who knows maybe they had McTavish higher than Beniers. Hard to say.

So even if Chicago and Anaheim have the same guy top of their list this year at #2/#3, Anaheim is getting first choice at some great players in the same tier as #2.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The concern is that pics 2-10 aren’t really all equal. At the end of the day, IMO, there will be some real dogs picked there. Maybe a couple of them will become real studs. And a few will kick around the league long enough to make good money but never be a core piece anywhere. I just hope like hell we pick a future stud.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The concern is that pics 2-10 aren’t really all equal. At the end of the day, IMO, there will be some real dogs picked there. Maybe a couple of them will become real studs. And a few will kick around the league long enough to make good money but never be a core piece anywhere. I just hope like hell we pick a future stud.
We probably won’t know for 5 years. And even the right pick can not pan out because of another factor like injuries. Look at Drysdale.

It’s why drafting is such a crap shoot.

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad